HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Alright, be honest now..

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 10:16 AM

Alright, be honest now..

I've experienced this before, maybe 10 years ago...having no power for almost a

week during the winter and having acclimated to 35 - 50 degrees everyday (except at work)

Would find myself actually taking off the xtra clothing I'd been wearing and not get chilled like

you do getting used to no heat..it became really very easy to adjust..A few days ago, Evergy asked

all their customers to cut way back on electric usage..Now though they've emailed,

lifting the crisis...go back to your regular usage. I could leave the thermostat turned down,

save some $$ on propane or I could turn it back up to where it was. ..Like I did 8 years ago...

Will you?....

9 replies, 865 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Alright, be honest now.. (Original post)
Maxheader Feb 2021 OP
tanyev Feb 2021 #1
Siwsan Feb 2021 #2
Blue_playwright Feb 2021 #3
Dagstead Bumwood Feb 2021 #6
PoindexterOglethorpe Feb 2021 #7
Cracklin Charlie Feb 2021 #4
drray23 Feb 2021 #5
marlakay Feb 2021 #8
LizBeth Feb 2021 #9

Response to Maxheader (Original post)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 10:24 AM

1. Ha! I just asked my husband last night how he felt about bumping it back up to at least 70.

We kept it at 68 all week and bundled up. I'm not complaining, given what so many others have had to endure, but at 68 degrees all I want to do is sit on the couch with a blanket around me and read or watch TV. I kept thinking about the things I could be accomplishing with all this time off from work, but then my brain said, "Nope, too cold."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 10:28 AM

2. That was my Christmas week in 2013

I couldn't even escape the house for relief because I was either having to round the clock, bail out the sump hole, for the first 3 days or keep an eye on the generator, once I got my hands on one. I closed off the den and heated it with the fireplace. The rest of the house was so cold, you could see your breath. Somehow the pipes survived, in tact. Maybe because I have a well, so when the power went out, running water was just a memory. I never lost anything from the garage freezer OR refrigerator, although I was careful about what I used.

The company I worked for gave us Christmas week off as PAID time off. The building was just up the road and open for a 'skeleton' crew of customer service reps but I couldn't leave the house long enough to go there for some relief, because of the above stated reasons.

Finally got a night off when my brother came over to keep an eye on things so I could go to my mom's for a much needed shower, hot food and sleep.

It was quite an experience. I found out I was tougher than I ever imagined.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 10:29 AM

3. I keep ours at 66 in the winter

The upstairs gets boiling hot and the downstairs is a bit chilly. But I always say just go put on a sweater if youíre cold!

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_playwright (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 11:04 AM

6. I could have written your post myself.

We also keep our thermostat at 66 because the upstairs overheats easily. We're used to employing blankets and comforters throughout the winter when we're downstairs.

Reply to this post

Response to Dagstead Bumwood (Reply #6)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:01 PM

7. When I lived in a 2 story house I likewise had that problem.

I solved it by closing a couple of the vents in some of the upstairs rooms.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 10:49 AM

4. I drove to work yesterday morning.

It was 10 degrees. We started the week at 15 below zero. Really cold for days.

I got all bundled up to leave. I got so hot on the way that I had to roll down the car windows. I donít mind turning down the heat for a while.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 10:50 AM

5. we keep it at 65 during the day and 63 at night.

its comfortable for us.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:55 PM

8. We have a wood stove in living room

Quite cozy and warm in there, kitchen and dining area ok, hallway getting cooler and bedrooms cold in the low 60's high 50's.

Pretty much live in living room to save on electric bills. Once in awhile I turn on heater for a hour to warm up rest of house but rarely.

We have electric blankets for nighttime.

But if power went out would camp out totally in living room.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 02:13 PM

9. +1. Tis true. I never have heat on at night and only turn the heat on in apartment

when it gets low 60's high 50's. By the time it gets to mid 60's I am too hot and turn it back off.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread