HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dan Rather ordered to lea...

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:21 AM

Dan Rather ordered to leave Austin home

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/nation-world/veteran-journalist-dan-rather-flea-austin-home-safety/269-6f9940f9-f257-4811-935f-f4b97f115ec9

Veteran journalist Dan Rather forced to flee Austin home for safety
"A broad community effort to help is needed," veteran journalist and Austinite Dan Rather said. "So is accountability."
Author: Drew Knight
Published: 9:08 PM CST February 19, 2021
Updated: 9:48 PM CST February 19, 2021

AUSTIN, Texas — As thousands remain without power Friday morning amid a boil water notice in Austin, the sun came up and began to melt the ice that was crippling the state of Texas for days.

But, with the increase in temperatures comes more bad news: water pipes are unfreezing, causing more issues with hundreds – if not thousands – of homes and businesses in the state's capital. Many residents have been forced to flee their homes, whether it be due to bursting pipes or the continued lack of potable water and power.

A tweet by one high-profile veteran journalist and local Austin resident started gaining some traction on Friday. Legendary journalist Dan Rather said he was among the many who were suffering amid the winter chaos in Texas.

The full text of his thread can be read below:

We were told yesterday to evacuate our home due to no power, heat, water, and fears even sewage pipes were freezing up and on the verge of bursting. After 4 days of hunkering down and determined to tough it out, we got the order to find a new place to go to immediately.

We’re now huddled up with relatives who have power -improvising, trying to make the best of it with a “this too shall pass” spirit. But we have the privilege of resources and help from family and friends. We know how lucky we are.

Many of our fellow Texans are in dire straits. The homeless and destitute are always the most vulnerable. But this also hit broadly. There are so many other hard-working, proud and decent people who are suffering. They are the backbone of our state.

A broad community effort to help is needed. So is accountability. Many state officials and special interests sold out their fellow Texans. And now, even in this time of reckoning, most of them offer little help beyond just saying a version of, “hey, it’s life; deal with it”

There are some massive betrayals of public trust behind what has happened in Texas. It’s sad. And even more so because those responsible remain convinced that they’ll never be held accountable.

But at the same time, the communal spirit of people helping people is inspiring. We can rebuild. And I am convinced we will rebuild better, but only if we have better leadership, make better decisions, and have the humility to know we are all in this together.

12 replies, 5616 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dan Rather ordered to leave Austin home (Original post)
dalton99a Feb 20 OP
dchill Feb 20 #1
OAITW r.2.0 Feb 20 #2
Deuxcents Feb 20 #4
Deuxcents Feb 20 #3
LonePirate Feb 20 #5
Grasswire2 Feb 20 #6
James48 Feb 20 #7
DENVERPOPS Feb 20 #8
herding cats Feb 20 #10
DENVERPOPS Feb 20 #11
Demovictory9 Feb 20 #9
malaise Feb 20 #12

Response to dalton99a (Original post)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:24 AM

1. Hang in there, Dan.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:31 AM

2. A witness to our history....Dallas 1963 to now. nt

Reply to this post

Response to OAITW r.2.0 (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:32 AM

4. He's not dead

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:31 AM

3. Go get him

Check up on him. Check on his neighbors n their neighbors. He’s obviously seeking help.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:33 AM

5. Rather can afford to temporarily relocate until things return to normal. Others cannot.

I wish him well; but millions of Texas residents do not have that relocation luxury/ability.

Reply to this post

Response to LonePirate (Reply #5)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:40 AM

6. And he says just that.

He's a good person.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 12:55 AM

7. Buy Pink Insulation

And wrap up! It’s just the beginning.

Reply to this post

Response to James48 (Reply #7)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 01:21 AM

8. They always say: Insulate the pipes.

Insulation alone does not CREATE heat, only conserves it for awhile.....Below freezing for awhile will not save the pipes, regardless of how well they are insulated. In the mountain and cold communities, you wrap the pipe with electrical heat tape, then wrap the insulation over that. Obviously, when the electricity goes off, the heat tapes don't work and you are still screwed......

Reply to this post

Response to DENVERPOPS (Reply #8)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 04:18 AM

10. All of my pipes were insulated to zones well colder than me.

I still had to turn off and drain my system. I was one day behind when I should have done so and lost one exterior pipe and a crack in a freeze proof outside faucet. Of the two, the freeze proof faucet is the biggest pain. We're going to have to chip back the masonry to repair it. Which will also need repaired. I'm deeply fortunate that's all the damage I have. I'd rather have zero water (still no potable water here) than mass destruction.

We're so many zones below the 3 degrees (sustained) we saw here where I am, even our best attempts and crazy outside wraps just weren't enough. Which doesn't even begin to address the lack of interior heat we had to keep our inside homes from freezing.

Like you said, insulation and even heat tape has its limitations. What we just endured was beyond any preventative for our region. It was the lack of electricity coupled with people not cutting off their water and draining down their systems which had lead to this issue. I'll defend the general public here. The vast majority had no idea how to prevent their homes from freezing inside in a worst case scenario. They've never experienced anything like this before, it's not something covered in a freezing disaster here. Generally speaking, we pop a few outside faucets which weren't properly protected, but our homes never turned into icy tundras devoid of electrical heat, so our interior pipes were spared.

This whole disaster is 100% on the failure of our electrical grid. Beyond that people's yards and garages might be flooding, but not entire apartment buildings and homes the way they are. This is unprecedented and was avoidable except for failures on a state level.

I'm sorry for being so wordy. I just spent more than 3-1/2 days without power in below freezing temperatures. Alone, because my husband had to go tend to more vulnerable family members. Thank goodness he did, because they might have died as things worked out.. I'm not upset about that part, just many other layers have me fuming. All the worst of this was avoidable.

Reply to this post

Response to herding cats (Reply #10)

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 04:59 AM

11. The freezing weather was horrific to everyone down south

I would suggest not chipping out the masonry. Frost Free Faucets are usually about a foot long, and where it is connected to the cold water line is usually a few inches back further from that. I would suggest you locate where the faucet is located on the inside wall and open the sheetrock to investigate. You almost certainly will find that your frost free sillcock faucet can be replaced from the inside.
You can trust my information that I have given you. I live in Colorado and have replaced over a thousand (seriously!) of these faucets that have frozen during my career. Also note that you must remove the hose from the frost free sillcock during freezing weather, allowing the faucet to drain and not freeze.

I hope you get the problems from the weather behind you soon.... people all over the nation are sorry for what you are going thru....

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 03:03 AM

9. stay safe Dan Rather!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 20, 2021, 05:23 AM

12. Glad to hear he's safe

What a mess

Reply to this post