HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Clear N95 face masks desi...

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 06:19 AM

Clear N95 face masks designed by Ford could be huge for teachers, people with hearing loss

This is little old, but I missed it.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2021/02/02/ford-n-95-clear-face-masks-hearing-impaired/4351906001/

Ford Motor Co. has designed and created clear N95 face masks so that people with loss of hearing can read lips while protecting themselves from COVID-19, the company announced Tuesday.

A patent is pending for the new design, which is awaiting federal approval to qualify for N95 status from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

The low-cost, reusable respirators may supplement or replace the use of cloth masks that block facial expression and lips from view as mask wearers seek protection from the increased threat of new coronavirus variants. In addition to the hearing impaired, these masks could be used by people who depend on facial expressions to better do their jobs, like teachers.

Face masks many people wear today are not tight. Respirators are airtight on the face and protect both the wearer and the people nearby. This new design by Ford filters exhalation, protecting the people around the face mask user.

10 replies, 1747 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Clear N95 face masks designed by Ford could be huge for teachers, people with hearing loss (Original post)
safeinOhio Feb 12 OP
dawg day Feb 12 #1
In_The_Wind Feb 12 #2
safeinOhio Feb 12 #3
mucifer Feb 12 #4
Biophilic Feb 12 #5
safeinOhio Feb 12 #6
Biophilic Feb 12 #7
safeinOhio Feb 12 #8
Biophilic Feb 12 #9
safeinOhio Feb 12 #10

Response to safeinOhio (Original post)

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 07:23 AM

1. I am ready for this!

I work with the elderly, and some of them with hearing loss use lipreading to supplement the hearing aids.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 07:29 AM

2. At 72, I need to read lips.

Reply to this post

Response to In_The_Wind (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 07:31 AM

3. I didn't even know my hearing was that bad, but

I get at least one letter a week with discounts on hearing aids. Hey, I'm only 71.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 08:40 AM

4. This is very exciting! I am a pediatric palliative and hospice nurse. I get some

weird looks from some of the little ones. We wear N95s with procedure masks over them.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 10:28 AM

5. This is huge for those of us with hearing loss.

I don't expect it to happen fast enough to really make a difference in the near future, but damn, this is huge. I've had hearing aids for 20 years, but never really knew how much I lip read until this last year. I've been in a quagmire of hearing difficulties since the masks went on. Everything I've had to do over the last year out side of my home has become incredibly difficult from listening to doctors' information to shopping to going to the pharmacy. A couple of times I've been so discouraged and frustrated that I'd thought about just never going out again. Basically just giving up. Fortunately I'm a bit tougher than that, but it has been a real struggle. Just the thought of these makes things a bit easier. Most people don't realize how much the hearing impaired lip read. Good for Ford Motor Co.

Reply to this post

Response to Biophilic (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 10:32 AM

6. I gave Ford 30 years and two fingers on my left hand.

Well, not the two finger,but....

Reply to this post

Response to safeinOhio (Reply #6)

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 10:39 AM

7. Yeah, I live in southeast MI. I know Ford and the rest have been really evil for workers, but

just the thought of these clear face masks lift my spirits a bit. The last year has been hell whenever I've had to interact in person with the world outside my home. Glad you survived your years with Ford.

Reply to this post

Response to Biophilic (Reply #7)

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 10:47 AM

8. Oh hell yes.

gave em 30 years and now 19 years of retirement, that I earned. I did get fired 3 times, but they always brought me back. They also paid for my college degree that I earned while working 50 plus hours a week.

Reply to this post

Response to safeinOhio (Reply #8)

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 10:52 AM

9. Thank heavens for the union and your own grit and determination.

Reply to this post

Response to Biophilic (Reply #9)

Fri Feb 12, 2021, 10:57 AM

10. While not required, I have paid my Union Dues

all the time I've been retired. I'm that grateful for my Union.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread