HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » China promotes education ...

Thu Feb 4, 2021, 12:16 PM

China promotes education drive to make boys more 'manly'

BBC
By Kerry Allen
BBC Monitoring

A notice from China's education ministry has caused a stir after it suggested young Chinese men had become too "feminine". The message has been criticised as sexist by many online users - but some say China's male celebrities are partly to blame.

For a while China's government has signalled concern that the country's most popular male role models are no longer strong, athletic figures like "army heroes". Even President Xi Jinping, a well-known football enthusiast, has long been seeking to cultivate better sports stars.

So last week, the education ministry issued a notice with a title that left no doubt about its ultimate goal.

The Proposal to Prevent the Feminisation of Male Adolescents called on schools to fully reform their offerings on physical education and strengthen their recruitment of teachers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55926248

2 replies, 530 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply China promotes education drive to make boys more 'manly' (Original post)
Wicked Blue Feb 2021 OP
BeerBarrelPolka Feb 2021 #1
Aristus Feb 2021 #2

Response to Wicked Blue (Original post)

Thu Feb 4, 2021, 12:21 PM

1. This sounds

This sounds like something the republicans would do. I'm sure they think it, based on the repubs I know.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Wicked Blue (Original post)

Thu Feb 4, 2021, 12:21 PM

2. Drives to "make boys more manly" almost always end in trauma, abuse, and body counts.

Jesus...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread