HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I just have a really hard...

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:45 AM

I just have a really hard time understanding this whole Qanon phonomenon.

I know people who desperately want to believe something will believe almost anything but it boggles my mind how do many subscribe to these wackadoodle conspiracies.

What is the attraction? I just don’t get it. It all seems so ridiculous and over the top. I mean coded messsges and trump sending code through hand gestures? C’mon people.
Good grief.

21 replies, 747 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply I just have a really hard time understanding this whole Qanon phonomenon. (Original post)
Piratedog Jan 2021 OP
Walleye Jan 2021 #1
Kid Berwyn Jan 2021 #2
dhol82 Jan 2021 #3
Pantagruel Jan 2021 #4
exboyfil Jan 2021 #5
Wicked Blue Jan 2021 #7
relayerbob Jan 2021 #6
NRaleighLiberal Jan 2021 #8
ScratchCat Jan 2021 #9
Mike 03 Jan 2021 #10
Binkie The Clown Jan 2021 #11
panader0 Jan 2021 #12
GemDigger Jan 2021 #13
Hortensis Jan 2021 #14
Strelnikov_ Jan 2021 #15
callous taoboy Jan 2021 #16
eShirl Jan 2021 #17
callous taoboy Jan 2021 #18
jcboon Jan 2021 #19
OverBurn Jan 2021 #20
LongtimeAZDem Jan 2021 #21

Response to Piratedog (Original post)

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:46 AM

1. People are more willing to believe a big lie then a small one

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:47 AM

2. GRU knows how to appeal to many Americans' most basic instinct.

QAnon is a Nazi Cult, Rebranded

by Gregory Stanton
JustSecurity.org, September 9, 2020

Excerpt...

QAnon true believers think Donald Trump will rescue America from this Satanic cabal. At the time of “The Storm,” supporters of the cabal will be rounded up and executed.

The QAnon conspiracy theory has now spread to neo-Nazis in Germany, where over 200,000 German QAnon accounts infest the internet. A faction known as “Reichsbürger,” or citizens of the Reich, orchestrated a brief storming of Parliament on Aug. 29.

Many people are perplexed at how any rational person could fall for such an irrational conspiracy theory. But modern social science shows that people in groups don’t always think rationally. They respond to fear and terror. They blame their misfortunes on scapegoats. They support narcissistic demagogues they hope will rescue them.

In the 1930’s, millions of Europeans were unemployed. Violent battles between Nazis and Communists raged in city streets. Democratic governments were powerless. Fascist dictators ruled Spain and Italy. Hitler took power in Germany and conquered Western Europe. Stalin’s Communists conquered the East. The Hitler-Stalin Pact sealed totalitarian rule over most of Europe. It took World War II and the deaths of millions to defeat the Nazis’ genocidal tyranny, and another fifty years to free the gulags of the Soviet Union.

Today the American people suffer from a Plague. Millions of Americans have lost their jobs. Angry mobs roam American cities and battle militarized police and heavily armed militias. The American government seems to be paralyzed. Dictators rule Russia and China. Islamic fascists rule Saudi Arabia and the old Ottoman and Persian empires. The American President appeases Russia, scapegoats China for the pandemic, and looks the other way as Vladimir Putin and Mohammed bin Salman murder their opponents.

Continues...

https://www.justsecurity.org/72339/qanon-is-a-nazi-cult-rebranded/

Sorry to repeat myself, but it’s psyops.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:47 AM

3. I understand that there will always be some who have these beliefs, however

there are so many now. That’s what amazes me. It’s like a mass hypnosis via social media.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:50 AM

5. Think about how any religion/cult forms

I mean you have a science fiction writer who stated that the way to make real money was to found a religion. Then he finds a religion. Scientology.

You find Golden Plates from knowledge gained from a received prophecy. Only the real inner circle ever see the Plates. Eventually they go back to heaven. Mormonism

The facts from other religions are further back in time, but you can imagine the scenarios that led to their founding.

Reply to this post

Response to exboyfil (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:54 AM

7. Then there are Pastafarians, who believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Ahoy mateys!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:53 AM

6. Read Future Shock by Alvin Toffler

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:57 AM

8. The US in general is particularly vulnerable to snake oil/conspiracy bullshit

some good books written about it

flat earthers, moon landing truthers, loads of others.

lack of critical thinking skills, intense need to belong, deep mistrust.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:58 AM

9. Its much easier to believe in "conspiracy"

Than to accept and admit that your views are wrong and that you are nothing more than a shit bag of a human being. Every single person who subscribes to that nonsense has a deep rooted hate for "the others" - everyone who is not just like them. They all have a burning desire to characterize themselves as "victims" of "the others".

And the prevalence of the internet doesn't help either, where too many people are too naive to discern truth from fiction(or "trolling). I'll admit - when I was 18-19 years old in the early to mid 90's, I fell for the "Clinton Body Count" nonsense because I was naive, didn't know any better and listened to the wrong people. The internet was in its infancy back then, and it was just text-based USENET groups where you would get the bulk of your information. Now you have people who have been running their con for 10, 15 .. 20 years and have it down pat(like ebay sports card scammers) and its really a jungle out there.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 11:58 AM

10. Tangential: Last week I heard an expert on cults say that Q Anon "exploded" during

this pandemic because people were isolated (in some cases lost their jobs) and cut off from their normal social circles. There are people who like the feeling of belonging to something, being accepted into a group, feeling that they have secret knowledge of how the world works that nobody else has.

Q Anon conditions people to find connections between unrelated things, and it's a game that is self-perpetuating because there's no end to how the human imagination can connect unrelated elements or coincidences. At one point Q Anon believers thought that suicide bomb in Nashville was a missile strike against Dominion voting machines!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:00 PM

11. It would have been a lot more fun if they had stuck to flying saucers and flat earth. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:04 PM

12. You mean you don't barbeque babies in your basement?

How many lizard people do you know? Watch closely and you can see their eyes shift
into cat eyes.
Yeah, I get what you mean. American culture is spawning some real first class idiots.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:06 PM

13. To quote Terry Goodkind and Wizard's First Rule

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. ~Terry Goodkind.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:09 PM

14. An expert I was listening to explained that a small quirk in personality makes

those prone to this vulnerable to the algorithms in social media platforms that feed them increasingly extreme links over time. If they're interested of course. Until someone who was fairly sensibly concerned about getting her baby vaccinated, but vulnerable to disinformation and irrational fears, gets funneled to chat groups full of increasingly anxious and then extremist antivaxxers who include, big surprise, QAnon believers. Just follow the intriguing links.

It starts out, though, by providing rational-seeming answers to concerns people have.

And apparently getting to the truths revealed by "Q" requires those who've been hooked to do "research" to discover them, so of course they know they're the truth.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:10 PM

15. Watch 'Behind the Curve'

Some good insight.

From what is emerging about the rioters being grabbed up, they are similar to the 'earther's', susceptible to propaganda/conspiracy.

Reply to this post

Response to callous taoboy (Reply #16)

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:13 PM

17. thanks;I was just about to go hunt that up myself

Reply to this post

Response to eShirl (Reply #17)

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:28 PM

18. I believe what the author describes is what has happened to my brothers.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:28 PM

19. People have a huge need for affiliation

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:37 PM

20. These people are fucking crazy.

A lot of them are now here. QAnon, Trumpers and general crazys. https://thedonald.win/

I've been reading some of this craziness for the past week. It amazing me people can possibly be this stupid.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 15, 2021, 12:41 PM

21. This was a comment on "The Hill" yesterday; I admit, it gave me food for thought:

SuZieCoyote • 4 minutes ago

Sexual trafficking and abuse of children IS endemic in our country and the world. However, it is not a government conspiracy, as QAnon falsely claims. It is the coaches, the priests, the pastors, family members, etc., who have repeatedly been caught at it. I suspect that many of the QAnon supporters are those who were abused as children and who, psychologically, can't hold the people who should have protected them, or those who did the abuse, responsible. So, they've created this delusional mass conspiracy that it was the government. It is the only thing that explains the crazy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread