HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Nancy Pelosi quoted a fam...

Wed Jan 13, 2021, 01:40 PM

Nancy Pelosi quoted a famous Israeli poem in her speech calling on Republicans to support the 25th A

(JTA) — To close out her speech asking Vice President Mike Pence to take the unprecedented step of removing President Donald Trump from power, Nancy Pelosi could have stuck with a quote from America’s rich literary tradition.

Instead, the speaker of the US House of Representatives turned to a poem that has become a cornerstone of Israeli verse: “I Have No Other Country,” written by poet Ehud Manor and recorded in the 1980s as a popular song.

“Especially during this sad time, I recall the words of the great Israeli poet, Ehud Manor, and that’s what he said when he said, ‘I can’t keep silent in light of how my country has changed her face, won’t quit trying to remind her. In her ears, I’ll sing my cries until she opens her eyes,'” Pelosi said on Tuesday.

Repeating a line, she added, “‘I can’t keep silent of how my country has changed her face.’ I urge my Republican colleagues to open their eyes and to finally hold this president accountable.” Yanir Cozin, an Israeli journalist, spotted the quote in Pelosi’s speech Wednesday morning.

(snip)

The poem was written by Manor as a reaction to his brother’s death in the War of Attrition, which Israel fought in the late 1960s. Its first lines read, “I have no other country/even if my land is burning,” and is about staying resilient and committed even if Israel is facing challenges or making mistakes.

More..

https://www.jta.org/2021/01/13/politics/nancy-pelosi-quoted-a-famous-israeli-poem-in-her-speech-calling-on-republicans-to-support-the-25th-amendment

2 replies, 379 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nancy Pelosi quoted a famous Israeli poem in her speech calling on Republicans to support the 25th A (Original post)
question everything Wednesday OP
question everything Wednesday #1
littlemissmartypants Thursday #2

Response to question everything (Original post)

Wed Jan 13, 2021, 09:05 PM

1. Kick for the evening crowd

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to question everything (Original post)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 04:45 AM

2. Great post. Thanks QE. ❤ nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread