HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Thank Goodness My Father ...

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:38 AM

Thank Goodness My Father Died Before Seeing The Capitol Insurrection.

I got the call from the hospital before any of that started, and just two hours after my mother died that same morning in her home. Then, along with making emergency arrangements with a funeral home for both of them, I watched the situation unfold on television, stunned, grieving, and very, very angry.

My father was one of the youngest first pilots of a B-17 at age 19. He flew missions out of North Africa and, later, out of Italy. He would have been enraged to see those sorry-assed punks invading the halls of Congress. Enraged. He risked his young life in the service of his country. The seditionists attacked our nation in the most cowardly way possible.

I'm so glad he did not have to witness what happened. I'm so sorry I had to witness it. He was 96. I am 75. In his honor, I enlisted in the USAF at age 19, myself. I did not face combat. I did not fly a bomber. I flew a work station at a remote AF base in Turkey.

My father helped save Western Civilization. I'm not sure what I helped with, but I was there.

He could not have stood to see what happened.

12 replies, 445 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Thank Goodness My Father Died Before Seeing The Capitol Insurrection. (Original post)
MineralMan Jan 10 OP
hlthe2b Jan 10 #1
MineralMan Jan 10 #2
CountAllVotes Jan 10 #4
MineralMan Jan 10 #7
CountAllVotes Jan 10 #12
Frustratedlady Jan 10 #3
malaise Jan 10 #5
MineralMan Jan 10 #9
malaise Jan 10 #10
MineralMan Jan 10 #11
FakeNoose Jan 10 #6
Just_Vote_Dem Jan 10 #8

Response to MineralMan (Original post)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:43 AM

1. I'm very sorry and feel similarly about my WWII generation parents/aunts & uncles long deceased

As I wrote in the thread on Arnold Schwarzenegger's eloquent message, I would desperately love to have them to talk to about all this while at the same time thankful they've been spared these past several years.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=14879452

A to you on you on your loss and in remembrance

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:46 AM

2. That coincidence just occurred to me this morning.

It never crossed my mind that day. I was too busy and too sad. Anyhow, I've written other posts about that. This one is a post about the pestilent invaders and how they compare to what my father did. He fought Nazis. They were Nazis.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:50 AM

4. My father fought the Japanese in Guadalcanal

He was in the Marine Corps. and he did not have any tolerance for such B.S.

I know what he'd say!

Send them all to an island with no services and see how long the awholes last.

Reply to this post

Response to CountAllVotes (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:54 AM

7. Sadly, almost all of the patriots who served in WWII are gone now.

It is up to their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren to keep their service alive in our memories.

It is also up to all of us to make sure than fascism and Nazism is never allowed to raise its head again.

That is our duty to those who served before us.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #7)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 12:18 PM

12. I am sorry for your loss

As for my parents, they were doubled-sided coins.

Dad was very racist; Mother not far behind him.

I care to not be of their ilk but I do respect their lives being they were my parents.

We spent too many nights arguing abt. racism and hatred and it accomplished nothing.

They've both been dead for over 20 years now.

I can only hope that had they lived longer they might have changed.

That said, I would never school a child with some of the garbage I had to listen to while growing up in that household which I abandoned at the age of 17 never to return and yes, it was that bad.

Glad you had a better situation. Not all of us did.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:48 AM

3. Oh, my goodness! My sincere condolences to you for your losses.

I lost my parents 6 weeks apart and thought that was horrible. To lose them both the same morning has to be beyond unbearable.
Then, to see what was going on at the Capitol? Oh, my! What a horrible day for you.

May the sweet memories help you through your grief.

Bless your father for his service, as well as you for yours.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:51 AM

5. It's amazing how people who have loved one another often die a short time after the first one dies

Like your parents, the grandparents of a close friend died within hours of each other. They were married for over 70 years. She died first in his arms and he told them he was going with her so they'd better not call the undertaker. He just laid there and died and they were buried together.

It's a hard time to lose both parents and it's unbearable to watch these fascists.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #5)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 12:11 PM

9. It does happen fairly often.

Especially with very aged people. Often one of them is staying alive out of sheer will to be with the other. When one dies, that will is gone. While some attach some spiritual reason for those coincidences, I saw that at work in my parents. My father was bound and determined that he would stay alive until my mother died. And so he did, to the surprise of all of us. For the past two or three years, I have dreaded getting a call from a number in their area code telling me that one or the other of them had died. I never expected two of those calls, though, on the same day.

More than once, my father said to me, in one of our daily phone conversations in the past five years, "You know, son, we live too long."

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #9)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 12:15 PM

10. True but from my perspective life is all we have

I'd like to check out while I'm lucid

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #10)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 12:16 PM

11. Yes.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 11:52 AM

6. Honor to your father and mother

I'm sorry you lost them, Mineral Man. But I agree that it's a blessing they had no knowledge of these latest events.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 12:07 PM

8. My condolences on your loss

I'm glad you have knowledge of and can appreciate your father's service.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread