HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Forbes: Why We're Holding...

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 01:48 PM

Forbes: Why We're Holding Those Who Lied For Trump Accountable

... As American democracy rebounds, we need to return to a standard of truth when it comes to how the government communicates with the governed. The easiest way to do that, from where I sit, is to create repercussions for those who don’t follow the civic norms. Trump’s lawyers lie gleefully to the press and public, but those lies, magically, almost never made it into briefs and arguments – contempt, perjury and disbarment keep the professional standards high.

So what’s the parallel in the dark arts of communication? Simple: Don’t let the chronic liars cash in on their dishonesty. Press secretaries like Joe Lockhart, Ari Fleischer and Jay Carney, who left the White House with their reputations in various stages of intact, made millions taking their skills — and credibility — to corporate America. Trump’s liars don’t merit that same golden parachute. Let it be known to the business world: Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie. We’re going to scrutinize, double-check, investigate with the same skepticism we’d approach a Trump tweet. Want to ensure the world’s biggest business media brand approaches you as a potential funnel of disinformation? Then hire away.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randalllane/2021/01/07/a-truth-reckoning-why-were-holding-those-who-lied-for-trump-accountable/
This is the DU member formerly known as My Pet Orangutan.

3 replies, 661 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Forbes: Why We're Holding Those Who Lied For Trump Accountable (Original post)
My Pet Orangutan Jan 9 OP
demmiblue Jan 9 #1
procon Jan 9 #2
Biophilic Jan 9 #3

Response to My Pet Orangutan (Original post)

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 01:59 PM

1. Damn!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 02:00 PM

2. When they start expelling those Republicans who

supported Trump's call to his sedition forces to take the Capital, that would be accountable. No one is censoring the ones who are trying to pretend that domestic terrorists are something else. No one is removing all the Republicans who stand in violation of their sworn oath by refusing to acknowledge Biden as the legitimate President.

There is little to no accountability. They are all going to get a free pass to be even more flagrantly anti American.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 02:02 PM

3. We have a long way to go to return the concept of Truth to its rightful place.

The whole concept of truth has been splintered and pulled apart. The importance truth plays in a civil society has been muddied and and half drowned. This will take a while and a lot of work. We must insist on people being truthful to work with them. If they aren't or they have their own "truth" than they can't be worked with and they cannot be trusted. Period.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread