HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The bizarre origins of th...

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 09:36 AM

The bizarre origins of the lizard-people conspiracy theory embraced by the Nashville bomber, and how

Source: INSIDER - Rachel E. Greenspan Thu, January 7, 2021, 12:47 PM CST

Anthony Warner, whom authorities say died when he exploded his RV in Nashville on December 25, had reportedly espoused belief in a conspiracy theory claiming that reptilian humanoids, or lizard people, control the world.

There is a lot of overlap between the lizard-people theory and QAnon, which baselessly alleges the existence of a "deep-state cabal" of human traffickers and pedophiles who drink the blood of children.

Fringe beliefs, including the QAnon conspriacy theory, have led to many incidents of real-world violence.

Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

On Christmas morning, an RV exploded in downtown Nashville, injuring 3 people and damaging 41 buildings. Authorities say Anthony Warner, 63, was responsible for the explosion and died in what the FBI believes was a suicide bombing.

Before the bombing, Warner, whose motive has not been announced by authorities, sent packages to friends that included letters alleging that lizard people were controlling the world, according to WTVF, a local news outlet in Nashville. The packages included several typed pages about conspiracy theories as well as two USB drives, WTVF reported.

An FBI spokesperson previously confirmed to Insider in a statement, "We are aware the suspect sent materials which espoused his viewpoints to several acquaintances throughout the country."

This undated image posted on social media by the FBI shows Anthony Quinn Warner. Courtesy of FBI via AP
Reptilian humanoids, or humans that are part reptile, are commonly found in science fiction and fantasy writing. But the claim that lizard people control the world is a fringe conspiracy theory that was popularized in the late 1990s, and it shares qualities with the pro-Trump QAnon conspiracy theory, which was created in 2017 but has thrived in the last year.

The lizard-people conspiracy theory was popularized by conspiracy theorist David Icke
Contemporary belief in reptilians is mostly linked to British conspiracy theorist David Icke, who first published his book "The Biggest Secret" in 1998. Icke alleged that "the same interconnecting bloodlines have controlled the planet for thousands of years," as the book's Amazon description says. The book suggests that blood-drinking reptilians of extraterrestrial origin had been controlling the world for centuries, and even originated the Illuminati - a fictitious group of world leaders that conspiracy theorists say control the world....Continued....

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/bizarre-origins-lizard-people-conspiracy-184738730.html

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

QAnon. Go figure. Strange days indeed.

26 replies, 884 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply The bizarre origins of the lizard-people conspiracy theory embraced by the Nashville bomber, and how (Original post)
IsItJustMe Jan 8 OP
Thomas Hurt Jan 8 #1
IsItJustMe Jan 8 #2
JT45242 Jan 8 #3
leftyladyfrommo Jan 8 #16
Lars39 Jan 8 #4
DemoTex Jan 8 #5
chowder66 Jan 8 #6
IsItJustMe Jan 8 #23
chowder66 Jan 8 #24
IsItJustMe Jan 8 #25
chowder66 Jan 8 #26
PoindexterOglethorpe Jan 8 #7
IsItJustMe Jan 8 #10
PatSeg Jan 8 #15
PoindexterOglethorpe Jan 8 #22
Chin music Jan 8 #8
Guy Whitey Corngood Jan 8 #9
WyattKansas Jan 8 #12
Hotler Jan 8 #11
d_r Jan 8 #13
IsItJustMe Jan 8 #14
d_r Jan 8 #20
haele Jan 8 #17
d_r Jan 8 #21
leftyladyfrommo Jan 8 #18
ARPad95 Jan 8 #19

Response to IsItJustMe (Original post)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 09:39 AM

1. IIRC, Alex Jones has also promoted this bee ess on his program...and of course Obama is one, (smh)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 09:43 AM

2. This sh!t is the Republican party.

With almost half the US voting population polluted with this kind of thinking, it makes you wonder about it all.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 09:45 AM

3. Silly me... I thought these morons thought V was a documentary in the 1980s

Reply to this post

Response to JT45242 (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:01 PM

16. It was pretty good. I watched it. The version I saw was on TV. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 09:46 AM

4. Article kinda downplayed his bomb making skills...

“exploded his RV”....the guy made a fricking thermobaric bomb!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 09:58 AM

5. Comparative Anatomy 101

FAIL!
This is the DU member formerly known as DemoTex.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:04 AM

6. I remember hearing this guy on Coast to Coast back then and thinking what the hell am I listening to

Soon after that I stopped listening. I thought the program was entertaining at first but then it got too weird and the people that called in freaked me out even more.

On edit: I'm referring to David Icke

Reply to this post

Response to chowder66 (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 02:10 PM

23. Me too. I was listening to some of this crazy sh!t about 8 years ago. Like you, I had an epiphany.

A voice went off in my head saying, "Man, if a person can believe in this, than they have already went down the rabbit whole."
That was the end of me listening to that garbage.

Reply to this post

Response to IsItJustMe (Reply #23)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 02:28 PM

24. The ghost and alien stories were fun

but I told myself I had to stop listening to because I would laugh throughout and it would keep me awake. I kept listening though and unfortunately hit the lizard people crap. I remember checking in a couple of years later and man-o-man did they take a deep dive.

Reply to this post

Response to chowder66 (Reply #24)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 05:42 PM

25. A few of the stories did seem to have some merit. Don't know if you remember the stories on

Rendlesham air force base in England. So many people with high integrity and high credentials made claims. But you have to be sceptic about everything. We now have high ranking people in our government that would soon lie to you as look at you.

Question Everything!!!

Reply to this post

Response to IsItJustMe (Reply #25)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 05:49 PM

26. I worried about people believing this stuff. A few friends also got a kick out of it

and didn't take it seriously. I figured a lot of people felt the same.
Unfortunately that was not the case.

Yes, the Rendlesham story and the Hill couple in NY story were good fun.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:16 AM

7. I never fail to be amazed at how many people simply cannot distinguish

between fact and fiction.

Reply to this post

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:29 AM

10. Too much fake news, science fiction and reality TV

In general, too much information, much of it garbage. It's mind boggling to get on Yahoo news and read several news articles that all completely contradict each other. This is where we are at. Many thought that the internet revolution would usher in a new age of enlightenment. Instead, it has issued in an age of conspiracy, confusion, and embattlement.

Reply to this post

Response to IsItJustMe (Reply #10)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:00 PM

15. Yes

These people tend to be plugged into some kind of media all the time and after awhile they can't distinguish fact from fantasy. Among the worst is reality TV I think. A rational person can watch a reality TV show and realize it is scripted like professional wrestling, but there are many vulnerable and gullible people out there who believe pretty much anything they see or hear.

Of course, now and then they take a break from their science fiction and reality TV and watch Fox News, thinking that is reality as well.

Reply to this post

Response to IsItJustMe (Reply #10)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:42 PM

22. Good science fiction, not that fantasy crap,

is actually stuff you can learn from. Plus real s-f writers have zero patience for people believing in things like lizard people or aliens visiting on a regular basis, or any of that nonsense, because they know science.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:25 AM

9. That shit's not even original. They're ripping off David Icke, who probably

ripped off "V" (80s TV series).

Reply to this post

Response to Guy Whitey Corngood (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:38 AM

12. Republicans have been trying to peddle remanufactured sci-fi from the past for a few years.

So all the bizarre sci-fi from years ago to recently is fair game to them to use in their delusional conspiracy fantasies to vilify the Democratic Party and legitimate institutions in government and America.

I have even seen right wing nuts try to refer to themselves as Starfleet protecting America and the Democratic Party as the Borg... Going ape shit nuts about Dems trying to assimilate them all. I now seriously question the sanity of all Republicans because they have been in their echo chambers for far too long beating off to their own delusional nonsense and fantasies.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:31 AM

11. Of course there are lizzard people.

They hang out 3-levels down under DIA.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 11:06 AM

13. Wasn't this a movie?

Something like powerful people were lizard people in disguise and only people with special glasses could see them?

Reply to this post

Response to d_r (Reply #13)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 11:44 AM

14. Yes it was. It was a series in the 80's called "V". These crazy mofo's turned into their so called

reality.

Reply to this post

Response to IsItJustMe (Reply #14)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:30 PM

20. Yes! I remember that

They ate mice

Reply to this post

Response to d_r (Reply #13)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:02 PM

17. "They Live", with Rowdy Roddy Piper. Not lizard people, but androids without flesh.

"I came to chew gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of gum..." Pure cheese.
"They" were a brain in a jar type civilization who apparently invaded during the "Roswell" event, and eventually took over the elites and media figures; when those bodies died, they then created cheap andriod replicas surrounded by some sort of illusionary field and pretended to be real people for a couple decades as civilization collapsed around them. I think they lived off living people's bio-energy, or something like that. It's been a while since I saw the movie, so I might be a bit fuzzy on plot.
Whenever "they" would do media broadcasts, there would be one word subliminal commands - "Obey", "Consume", "Enemies" (when showing or interviewing real human person who had not been infected by them.

Just as a side.

Haele

Reply to this post

Response to haele (Reply #17)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:32 PM

21. Yeah that is it

I think am mixing this and v in my memory. I think this is where they are getting this from. Mental health is such an important thing and social media let's mentally ill people listen to other mentally ill people in a way that has never been possible.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:04 PM

18. Conspiracy theories and charismatic people really pushing them

are really hard for truly mentally ill people. They can't tell the difference between reality and and delusion.

Reply to this post

Response to leftyladyfrommo (Reply #18)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:20 PM

19. According to Piaget, by age 7, children need to be at the Concrete Operational stage of cognitive

development. These tRumpers seem to have not progressed past the Preoperational stage.

https://www.webmd.com/children/piaget-stages-of-development#2-4

Preoperational Stage

During this stage (toddler through age 7), young children are able to think about things symbolically. Their language use becomes more mature. They also develop memory and imagination, which allows them to understand the difference between past and future, and engage in make-believe.

But their thinking is based on intuition and still not completely logical. They cannot yet grasp more complex concepts such as cause and effect, time, and comparison.

Concrete Operational Stage

At this time, elementary-age and preadolescent children -- ages 7 to 11 -- show logical, concrete reasoning.

Children's thinking becomes less focused on themselves. They're increasingly aware of external events. They begin to realize that their own thoughts and feelings are unique and may not be shared by others or may not even be part of reality.

But during this stage, most children still can't think abstractly or hypothetically.

I don't wonder why when you think about how a disruption in normal cognitive development becomes generational or a person with a tenuous hold on a higher level stage can revert back if constantly surrounded by cognitively challenged family and friends (or RW media). "If you can't beat them, join them."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread