HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » CLIMATE CRISIS DISCUSSION...

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 11:11 AM

CLIMATE CRISIS DISCUSSIONS -- THE WORK

previous posts
https://www.democraticunderground.com/1017628074
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214775507
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214783130
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214808596

Startup source on The Work
Fiction
Kim Stanley Robinson. The Ministry For the Future (2020)

"If I could get policymakers, and citizens, everywhere to read just one book this year, it would be Kim Stanley Robinson’s The Ministry for the Future." —Ezra Klein

My SIL at Morgan Stanley was right: People don’t want the truth. They want a story.
Yes, this fiction is about climate scenarios, facts, personal, political, financial ethics, and geoengineering solutions.
I find myself thrilled that someone has or even can use in story form, climate politics, climate science, and climate geoengineering knowledge to envision what can work; and that once on that path, conscious humans would do anything to not let others derail “climate on our minds,” or get in each other’s way to save the biosphere for our descendants.
I can’t not give his book any but my highest recommendation

For me this is the hardest part of this series, so all sources and input are greatly appreciated.

THE WORK

1. What’s not working so far?

The Paris Climate Accord was signed in 2016 by 196 members of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).

The Climate Accords are now binding.
By 2020, 197 remain party to it. Of the eight countries not party to the law, the significant emitters are Iran, Turkey, and the United States, who formally left Nov 4 2020.

Now that we know we have caused climate change and entered the Anthropocene Period, at least three of us sit unwilling to move globally to help each other mitigate it.

Date of the next UNFCCC (UN Climate Change Conference, also known as COP26)
meeting is 1-12 November 2021. The main aim of the Paris Agreement (parent treaty to the 1997 Kyoto Protocol) is to keep a global average temperature rise this century well below 2 degrees Celsius.

Why most of what we're trying is not working, imo, is because of the work's outcomes to-date.

In traditional physics terms, outcome = work.
No outcome = no work.

In our politics, public awareness, and action, there is
— not enough action,
— not fast enough action,
— planning, not doing,
— pledging, not doing
— roadmapping, not doing

Climate, like covid, doesn't care about our work or outcomes.
If the current work helps Biosphere growth, Biosphere won't tell us if/when it is enough.
But 'not enough,' when increasingly tried by all agent networks and governments, could be enough. We’re still not sure. Why?

Because average global temperature is still rising. THAT is the measure of our failure.

--Timeline for The Work — the “what” and the “how”— should be 12 years, not twenty, because
Earth’s dynamics are too great to predictably follow the existing change agents’ longer timelines, imo.

2. What claims to be working so far

-- Corporate efforts to save Earth and themselves

-- Some "go-to" think tanks.

-- CO2 capture & sequester technologies

0:00-0:43 -Intro
0:43-2:39 -Forests
2:40-3:42 -Farms
3:42-5:01 -BEECS
5:01-5:47 -Direct Air Capture
5:48-7:03 -Seawater Capture
7:04-7:38 -Enhanced Weathering
7:39-8:05 -Outro

-- some climate progress monitors

-- wildlife conservation corridors

-- Solar and wind tech — The University of Southampton published in the Nature journal Scientific Data, shows where solar and wind farms are based around the world—demonstrating both their infrastructure density in different regions and approximate power output. It is the first ever global, open-access dataset of wind and solar power generating sites.

https://www.smart-energy.com/renewable-energy/solar-and-wind-are-the-cheapest-new-sources-of-energy-says-bnef/

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2019/01/21/wind-and-solar-still-fast-growing-electricity-sources-in-contracting-markets-of-2019-2020/

-- nature and wilderness preserves

https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/10/renewable-power-represents-almost-90-of-total-global-power-capacity-added-in-2020/

-- Costa Rica, which constitutionally abolished its military force, used the military budget for public education and health, protection," signed the UN treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons,
bans hunting, has released all zoo captives, has laws that allow anyone to live/squat anywhere within 100 meters of the coastline, where no one can own real estate;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Rica

--Permaculture

Imagineering, then doing it.

When it comes to saving Earth and human death, these efforts are not about failures of character or politics. They must measurably work. How progress is measured is one part the next part of The Work.

3. What could work in America

-- During the 2019 primary campaign Gov Jay Inslee presented himself as the candidate who'd done the most in his state leadership role to commit his state’s course in dealing with climate change. I believed that because of his successful state projects, his nationwide and international clean green plans, climate science team and attention to numbers, that he offered scalable models for staffing, structuring the nation’s top climate change funding, policy and long term functionality beyond presidents’ terms of office. Here’s Gov Inslee’s latest plan to enfold climate jobs into his state’s economy.
But what of the other governors and other states?

While trying to sort out the problem and the timeline of foundational work ahead, we also trust that President Joe Biden's superior leadership decision making is already creating and overseeing a governance and funding frame.

Starting now, our permanent future economic, social, national and climate futures can and must build on the scaffold of what President Biden and Democrats Build Back Better. Starting now.

-- President Biden’s Climate Team

Deb Haalan, Secretary of the Interior
Jennifer Granholm, Secretary of Energy
Michael S. Regan, Administrator of the EPA

Gina McCarthy, WH Climate Coordinator
Ali Zaidi, WH Climate Deputy Coordinator (former Energy Dept, Domestic Policy Council, senior climate staff under Gov Cuomo)
Brenda Mallory, Head of the Council on Environmental Quality

Biden’s Climate Network

David Kieve, chief outreach to green groups, environmental justice leader
Cristobal Alex, campaign outreach to immigration and climate activists

Cecilia Martinez, Executive Director of the Center for Earth, Energy, and Democracy

Harold Mitchell, Climate Engagement Advisory Council (former House D, South Carolina)

Lonnie Stepenson, IBEW, (once opposed the Green New Deal)
Jamal Raad, Director, Evergreen Action

Stef Feldman, policy director
Conor Lamb, Environmental Task Force

-- Mr. Biden pledged to achieve

— net zero emissions by 2050

-- eliminate fossil fuel emissions from the power sector by 2035.

is likely to require

-- a doubling, annually, in the pace of new wind and solar power;

-- a huge increase in the number of new battery-powered cars sold every year, from 2 percent now to 50 percent of new sales by 2030, with charging stations;

-- a big jump in the number of homes heated by electric heat pumps instead of oil and gas;

-- vast increase in the capacity of the electric grid to handle all this clean power.

To be continued Tuesday …

2 replies, 294 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply CLIMATE CRISIS DISCUSSIONS -- THE WORK (Original post)
ancianita Jan 7 OP
flamingdem Jan 9 #1
ancianita Jan 9 #2

Response to ancianita (Original post)

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 01:11 AM

1. Thanks so much for this ancianita!!

Everything I was looking for in one place. I've decided to learn all I can about what Biden and team will be doing around climate.

It's very exciting and there's so much to do (and not a whole lot of time!)

Sorry that these posts may have been lost in the slew of insurrection posts.

Thanks!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to flamingdem (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 01:18 AM

2. Hi, flamingdem! Oh, thank you very much for reading!

And yeah, it gets lost, but Climate will be the next big thing after covid, so I'm just trying to do my bit, a sorting out project that I hope people can use and add to.

I'm so glad you like it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread