HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why weren't these individ...

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 09:39 AM

Why weren't these individuals rounded up and arrested? This is a very important question.

On the Senate side, rioters actually did breach the chamber. They took pictures of themselves at the presiding officer’s lectern, hanging off the ledges in the gallery and going through Senate desks that have been in the chamber for up to 200 years.

It took hours for Capitol Police to take back the building, with police letting most of the trespassers peacefully exit, satisfied that they had “stopped the vote.”

But their victory was short-lived.

Congressional leaders from both sides of the aisle and both chambers all said they wanted to go back into session and certify the results, to not be deterred by the domestic terrorists who stormed the Capitol.

And they did.

?ops=scalefit_720_noupscale

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/congress-certifies-joe-biden-winner_n_5ff66c76c5b64e568bf40f91

10 replies, 513 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why weren't these individuals rounded up and arrested? This is a very important question. (Original post)
UCmeNdc Jan 7 OP
catbyte Jan 7 #1
John Ludi Jan 7 #2
Ferrets are Cool Jan 7 #4
John Ludi Jan 7 #10
SoonerPride Jan 7 #3
Deuxcents Jan 7 #7
BadDog40 Jan 7 #5
Hortensis Jan 7 #6
lunasun Jan 7 #8
Roisin Ni Fiachra Jan 7 #9

Response to UCmeNdc (Original post)

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 09:41 AM

1. I hope at the very least they charge terrorists like that asshole from Arkansas who stole

Nancy Pelosi's mail, trashed her office, then bragged about it on national television.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 09:43 AM

2. Gather intel

and wait until Biden is installed so the Trumpalump can't pardon them.

Reply to this post

Response to John Ludi (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 09:46 AM

4. Unfortunately, I don't think we can wait that long. These are terrorists.

You really want these terrorists free on our streets for two more weeks? Hell, I don't want OrangeAnus in the WH for two more weeks.

Reply to this post

Response to Ferrets are Cool (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 12:54 PM

10. If we...or rather, they

can pry him out of office before the 20th I'd say go for it, totally. The last thing I want to see is these fuckers slink off into their holes and wait for another day to wreak havoc.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 09:45 AM

3. White skin get out of jail free card.

Or not even get arrested in the first place.

It's an incredible defense mechanism.

Reply to this post

Response to SoonerPride (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 10:03 AM

7. I agree

If this was a BLM event, they’d have the dogs on em, all kinds of pepper sprays n people in zip ties thrown into unmarked cars. This rush on our democracy is shameful n disturbing but the lack of control n arrests of these fascists is equally disturbing. One set of laws for one group of people n another set for the other. Law n order...I call BS

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 09:49 AM

5. They should have been

The most disgusting thing about all of this is how they were allowed to just hang around for HOURS. The Capitol Police may as well bought them all pizza for lunch the way they welcomed them.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 10:01 AM

6. Many will be. After they lost control, they couldn't spare the manpower

to babysit and process arrestees. But they're already tracking them down, including through cyber tracking. Those fortunate enough to avoid identification at the Capitol would have done better not to wander around under DC cameras with friends for some hours after.

Even though the defenses didn't go as they should have, the authorities did succeed in a very important goal: to deny the insurrectionists their goal of appearing to the nation as heroic freedom fighters fighting to take America back from those who stole it. The authorities foresaw that, especially after the ostentatiously authoritarian actions of the Trump admin against peaceful BLM protestors last June, and refused to provide a "Tiananmen" effect of militarizing against the very heavily trumpist crowds, notably given the 70M suspicious Americans who had just voted for him.

I keep thinking of what the world saw, beyond the "disgrace" and police failure to hold the line at street level. I keep imagining peoples in authoritarian nations watching in bewilderment when armed forces don't clean these insurrectionists off Capitol steps covered with blood. No tank standoff either, no sinister helicopters and flyovers (specifically forbidden), no snipers taking people out.

Just letting an estimated 3000 insurrectionist hoodlums initially walk away doesn't look right to any of us, of course, but think what underlies it -- beyond the incompetent police reactions. About the relation of citizens to government of, by and for the people. That's a huge takeaway, one that blows the message even these insurrectionists believed themselves.

Most of these idiots believed the lies of their president and came to fight heroically to save him, but they weren't punished with death for their inexcusable stupidity. Prosecution's a different matter.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 10:06 AM

8. I read most of the arrests were for curfew . I don't think anything will happen much to MAGA

America -prove me wrong

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 7, 2021, 10:13 AM

9. Trump cultists need to be purged from every police agency, from the DOJ and DHS on down to

every local police force in the country.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread