HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Shit. MSNBC just reported...

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 01:12 PM

Shit. MSNBC just reported that ten counties in GA were threatened through email,

for possible targeting. Don't know what that means. Just that they have a security guard posted at each precinct and lines in Democratic counties are moving quickly, because of early voting. Line is Republican counties are about half hour wait.

12 replies, 2152 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Baitball Blogger (Original post)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 01:20 PM

1. Not smart, since they can track where the emails originated from (the IP address, ...

Internet Protocol address). If they're at a coffee shop or similar facility, they'll still pretty rapidly track down who's doing these threats.

Not smart at all (idiots deserve to be caught).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 01:26 PM

4. Not necessarily ...

Ever heard of VPN?

Also, they could've originated ... uh ... overseas.
This is the DU member formerly known as mr_lebowski.

Reply to this post

Response to mr_lebowski (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 01:36 PM

7. Yes, I've heard of virtual private networks...the encoding of where the original call

came from is still on the original call recording, but like you say, it only goes from a FEP to the FEP (front end processor to the next front end processor, or in other words, host 1 to host 2, etc. Beyond each host (or behind is a better word), one has no idea of where the call actually goes/begins. The phone company had a fit when they learned this. Thing is, networks can cooperate together to ID traffic (we did when we detected fraud etc.), when it is needed. It's not an easy task being that you have to cooperate w/ multiple network control centers to follow that traffic (orig. and terminating points, hand off to next NCC, etc.). We did it several things, believe or not, since it is a pain in the a&&.

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 01:41 PM

8. Put it this way, if they used a VPN to route their emails, the only way they're going to maybe be

found out ... is if someone is actually killed at one of these polling places.

It's almost surely too much effort just to track down threats.

But knowing the sorts of idiots involved in most schemes like this, they probably didn't use VPN's, and will get caught.

Or they're overseas in which case likely nothing happens to them.

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 02:01 PM

10. The CIA

already has these VPN traces figured out. They CAN and have been traced. Don't be fooled into thinking that the tech that was "unhackable" 5 years ago is still secure. It is not.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/a-vpn-will-not-save-you-from-government-surveillance/

Reply to this post

Response to mr_lebowski (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 02:00 PM

9. Everything is traceable.

Heard a cyber expert from the FBI speak once at a security conference. Somethings may slow them down but if they want, they can find out who anybody is. He laughed when someone asked about VPNs.

Reply to this post

Response to C_U_L8R (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 02:06 PM

11. I can vouch for that

At the annual security conference in Albany NY, several years ago, I was talking to one of those folks, and he told me that they can trace it, it just slows them down a few minutes, because they have to go relay by relay, but it takes very little time. No more time than it takes the user to access a website on a Tor browser.

Reply to this post

Response to C_U_L8R (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 02:07 PM

12. I said in my response to the other poster they likely COULD with enough effort ...

But they probably wouldn't go to the effort if it were only threats. Now, if someone is shot, or Dog forbid a b**b goes off? That's another story.

Which VPN was used would probably factor into that equation. At this point I'd guess that many commercial VPN's are not nearly as secure/confidential as they advertise. And some are probably outright LE 'fronts'.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 01:22 PM

2. What was the reasoning behind . .

the abrupt departure of the District Attorney? Was he and his family lives threaten?

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 01:24 PM

3. US Attorneys are threatened all the time

Unlikely reason to leave.

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 01:29 PM

5. He was due to leave in 15 days.

Federal Judge rejects Trump election law suit.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 5, 2021, 01:35 PM

6. That is a Federal crime, and the FBI should be looking to track down who is making those threats

This is the DU member formerly known as still_one.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread