HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I posted this at a bar re...

Wed Dec 30, 2020, 07:42 PM

I posted this at a bar resistor FB page in response to some claptrap about FREEDOM and CONSTITUTION

Yeah, not even half a million excess deaths this year from all causes in the U.S., more like just 400,000. https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/12/22/us-deaths-in-2020-top-3-million-by-far-most-ever-counted

Despite the tiny number relative to the U.S. population, some liberals are upset by that, enough to shred the Constitution.

A liberal Supreme Court by a 7-2 majority in 1905, said

“The Constitution,” Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote for a 7-2 majority, “does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint.” Instead, “a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic.” Its members “may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand.” States also have the power, beyond criminal law enforcement, to make quarantine and isolation effective. If presented with widespread noncompliance, governors may call National Guard units to put their orders into force, to safeguard state property and infrastructure, and to maintain the peace. In some states, individuals who violate emergency orders can be detained without charge and held in isolation..."
- Jacobson v. Massachusetts, Supreme Court, 1905

I learned all about Freedom a long time ago when I was drafted during the Vietnam War. Many years of rather severe restrictions on my freedom.

===#### End of my FB Post ###################===

A bar resistor is a restaurant/bar that continues to remain open despite the governor's shutdown orders (in this case Minnesota)

Here is a little synopsis of the 400,000 excess deaths (actually it says at least 400,000 more than 2019, and a normal recent year to year increase is 20,000 to 50,000 / year, so I may have exagerrated a little bit calling it "400,000 excess deaths" )

U.S. deaths in 2020 top 3 million, by far most ever counted, an increase of 15% over last year -- the largest single year percentage increase since 1918. In contrast, in 2019, the mortality rate fell a little bit, and consequently life expectancy rose for the 3rd straight year, to 78.8 years. This year, life expectancy may end up dropping as much as 3 full years. Deaths usually rise by about 20,000 to 50,000 each year due to population aging and growth. This year deaths are on track to be at least 400,000 more than 2019, AP, 12/22/20

Info from the link at the top of this post

Another little lie: technically I wasn't drafted. I pre-emptively joined the Navy to avoid being drafted into the Army and ending up in the jungles of Vietnam. Turns out to have been a good move, my draft lottery number turned out to be low enough that I would have been drafted for sure.

2 replies, 702 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply I posted this at a bar resistor FB page in response to some claptrap about FREEDOM and CONSTITUTION (Original post)
progree Dec 30 OP
A HERETIC I AM Dec 30 #1
I_UndergroundPanther Dec 30 #2

Response to progree (Original post)

Wed Dec 30, 2020, 07:48 PM

1. I'm convinced that we are never going to be 100% past this.

Ever. Way too many Americans are selfish, entitled assholes. We have in many ways, lost our national sense of The Common Good.

It would take another war against a white, Christian enemy for this entire country to be sewn completely back together.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to A HERETIC I AM (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 30, 2020, 08:21 PM

2. Too many people

Are sociopathic narcissistic or authoritarian.

It's because of people with the dark triad personality that we can't get universal healthcare,a decent wage or a fucking survival check.

These fuckers are so numerous now they can fuck over an entire country.

Wish it was open season on these motherfuckers.

They can't be healed psychiatry can't fix who they are.Psychiatry and counseling make them worse.

There is no way to force people with no empathy to care.

This is the real problem.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread