HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Cod wars: Royal Navy to g...

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 12:52 AM

Cod wars: Royal Navy to guard UK fishing waters from Jan. 1.

Thatcher had the Falklands; BoJo has fish heads.

Four navy ships to help protect fishing waters in case of no-deal Brexit

Four Royal Navy patrol ships will be ready from 1 January to help the UK protect its fishing waters in the event of a no-deal Brexit, in a deployment evoking memories of the “cod wars” in the 1970s.

The 80-metre-long armed vessels would have the power to halt, inspect and impound all EU fishing boats operating within the UK’s exclusive economic zone (EEZ), which can extend 200 miles from shore.

Naval sources said the deployment had been long planned, but it comes after Conservative ministers quietly doubled the total fleet of patrol ships from four to eight, partly in case of a crisis caused by a no-deal Brexit. “We have done a lot of work to ensure we are ready for every eventuality,” one insider said.

Although the offshore patrol ships carry machine guns, they would not be expected to use weapons against EU fishing boats. Instead they would aim to run alongside a vessel believed to be breaking the rules, boarding it for inspection if deemed necessary.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/11/four-navy-ships-to-help-protect-uk-waters-in-case-of-no-deal-brexit

3 replies, 547 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cod wars: Royal Navy to guard UK fishing waters from Jan. 1. (Original post)
My Pet Orangutan Dec 13 OP
OnDoutside Dec 13 #1
My Pet Orangutan Dec 13 #2
OnDoutside Dec 13 #3

Response to My Pet Orangutan (Original post)

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 02:46 AM

1. Squirrel !!! Erm....I mean Cod !!!!

What a load of Pollock

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to OnDoutside (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 05:55 AM

2. Don't let 'em off the hook,

they're floundering

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to My Pet Orangutan (Reply #2)