HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Tulsi Gabbard Introduces ...

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 12:03 PM

Tulsi Gabbard Introduces Anti-Transgender Bill After Claiming To Be LGBTQ-Friendly

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) introduced legislation in the House on Thursday that would bar schools from receiving federal funding if they allow transgender girls and women and non-binary people to compete on sports teams consistent with their gender identities.

The bill — co-sponsored by Republican Rep. Markwayne Mullin of Oklahoma — was met with immediate outrage from transgender activists and allies who labeled the legislation “blatantly transphobic.”

The “Protect Women’s Sports Act” seeks to clarify that Title IX protections for female athletes are “based on biological sex,” Gabbard and Mullin said in a statement. Title IX protects people from discrimination based on sex in educational programs that receive federal financial assistance. The new bill would bar schools from receiving such funds if they permit “a person whose biological sex at birth is male to participate in an athletic program or activity that is designated for women or girls.”

A similar bill was introduced in the Senate earlier this year by Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-Georgia) and other Republicans. Loeffler is one of two Republican senators facing competitive runoff elections in Georgia in January.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tulsi-gabbard-anti-transgender-bill-title-ix_n_5fd2de33c5b66a75841389b5

14 replies, 669 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tulsi Gabbard Introduces Anti-Transgender Bill After Claiming To Be LGBTQ-Friendly (Original post)
lapucelle Dec 11 OP
redstatebluegirl Dec 11 #1
Rorey Dec 11 #2
Gothmog Dec 11 #3
PatSeg Dec 11 #9
marble falls Dec 11 #4
Hekate Dec 11 #11
Hekate Dec 11 #14
Mike Nelson Dec 11 #5
hunter Dec 11 #8
Mike Nelson Dec 11 #13
brush Dec 11 #6
alphafemale Dec 11 #7
Hekate Dec 11 #10
LowerManhattanite Dec 11 #12

Response to lapucelle (Original post)

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 12:04 PM

1. Why doesn't she call herself what she is a REPUBLICAN!

She is no more a democrat than Mitch McConnel.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to redstatebluegirl (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 12:06 PM

2. + 1000 NT

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 12:07 PM

3. I am glad that this person will be out of Congress soon

Reply to this post

Response to Gothmog (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 02:53 PM

9. Now that she is leaving,

I guess she's comfortable showing her true colors.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 12:09 PM

4. I'd love to hear her story. Not as if someone would buy her off to do that.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 02:59 PM

11. Cult member, raised to be the attractive, outward-facing member.

It would take me awhile, but during the primaries I bookmarked a ton of research about her, if you are interested.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 12:35 PM

5. I thought...

... Republicans wanted local community groups to decide this, not big government? Sports are for everyone, and we have to find a way to include opportunities for ALL students. I favor a case by case decision, based on the student's individual profile. Taking something off the table, like this bill would do, is not helpful.

Reply to this post

Response to Mike Nelson (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 02:50 PM

8. School sports, kindergarten through college, need to be reformed.

The sole purpose of school sports should be to promote the physical well being and positive social interactions of students.

Maybe these sports once had some evolutionary value in human societies, back when raw physical prowess and testosterone poisoned comradery won wars, but none of that makes sense now, not since humans gained the ability to destroy their enemies by electronic propaganda and economic warfare, or in MAD scenarios, by throwing around nuclear weapons on missiles.

I'm thinking of my grandfather here. He was an Army Air Corp officer in World War II. He joined the Army Air Corp to escape rural Wyoming, see the world, fly planes, and woo the ladies wherever he landed. Unfortunately he was also a klutz. Watching him ride a bicycle, or swim in anything but a small surf, were some of the most terrifying things I witnessed as a kid. Grandpa is going to die! The Army, in its wisdom, did not let him fly airplanes or play with guns. I've heard he flew an airplane once. Just once. And none of his relatives would invite him hunting.

I can still hunt, I like to believe, but haven't in the 21st century. I flew an airplane once. Didn't take off or land. Didn't break anything.

My grandfather was some kind of wizard with exotic metals, and a competent intermediary between ordinary military society and brilliant people far weirder than he was. He never talked about his military service. He did a dirty job that had to be done and I suspect a lot of it was messy and secret. His knack for making impossible parts out of exotic metals is unexplained.

He would talk about bits of metal he made for the Apollo Project. He was fiercely proud of that.

I'm a klutz. School sports culture was hell on me. In sixth grade they used to leave me far out in left field picking through the grass, biologist that I am, even as the innings changed. I was always last pick, after the kid with the tremor and coke bottle bottom glasses because he was always nice. I was not always nice. I could break noses with my elbow.

I quit high school. Never attended a football game or dance. Didn't care.

In college I got to know a lot of people in co-ed recreational running and softball, and that's when I finally understood the value of sports.

Reply to this post

Response to hunter (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 03:51 PM

13. Agree...

... sports, art, drama, math, etc are for everyone. I hope the practice of kids "picking" teams is ending. I know teachers pick more randomly, now. Many PE teachers today will try to find an area of strength for every student. One of my big peeves is parents wanting their kids "held back" one or two years in the lower grades so they can be star athletes!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 12:39 PM

6. What a silly woman. Her stances during the early campaign and since don't make sense...

unless she's trying to get a TV gig in right wing media. Wasn't she supposed to be an LGBTQ ally? So with less than a month left in office, what's the intent of glomming unto such a controversial bill that abandons principle unless it's to get exposure to winger hiring managers?

One thing I'm pretty sure she's learning in the last couple of years is that looks only takes one so far, and in her case, brains and principles haven't stepped to the fore to take over when needed.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 12:52 PM

7. This again

Imaging that there will be an onslaught of boys who will say they are transgender just to be on the girls basketball team.

Right wingers like to create horror stories.

Them even caring about women's/girls sports is also a lie t begin with.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 02:58 PM

10. Oh Tulski, you little troll, are you having fun on the way out?

Just please go away.

Sadly for America, I think her future lies at RT or or one of our own burgeoning far-right media outlets.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 11, 2020, 03:03 PM

12. Shocker of shockers...🙄

...from this barely stealth nutbar.

Side-eyeing all who caped for this self-exposing clown.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread