HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Susan B. Glasser: The Pr...

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 09:01 PM

Susan B. Glasser: The President Is Acting Crazy, so Why Are We Shrugging It Off?

Last edited Thu Dec 3, 2020, 10:18 PM - Edit history (1)

Letter from Trump’s Washington
The President Is Acting Crazy, so Why Are We Shrugging It Off?
The dangerous “yeah, whatever” phase of Trump’s lame-duck Presidency.
By Susan B. Glasser
December 3, 2020

On Wednesday, more than three thousand Americans died because of the coronavirus, the nation’s deadliest day yet during the pandemic. The same day, the President of the United States chose to release, on social media, a forty-six-minute videotaped address from the White House. He called it possibly “the most important speech I’ve ever made.” The pandemic’s grim toll was never mentioned. What was? The “tremendous vote fraud and irregularities” in last month’s election, the results of which the President still refuses to accept. The “statistically impossible” victory of Joe Biden, and the idea that the Democrats had so “rigged” the election that “they already knew” the outcome in advance. It was all “corrupt,” “shocking,” “constitutionally absolutely incorrect,” and “so illegal.” The President said he knew full well that he would be “demeaned and disparaged” for continuing to speak out, especially now that even some of his advisers have “disappeared” or, as he claimed, been bullied into silence. But he would do so anyway.

snip//

There are only two possible conclusions from listening to this folly: either the President actually believes what he is saying, in which case he is crazy, or he does not, in which case he is engaged in the most cynical attack on American democracy ever to come from the White House. Is Trump “increasingly detached from reality,” as even the dispassionate, strictly nonpartisan Associated Press put it, in recounting the speech? Or is that conclusion, harsh as it is, giving Trump the benefit of the doubt by implying that he is just misguided or uninformed? There is another explanation, after all, for this reckless speech: What if, in fact, the President is not delusional but is the purposeful, malevolent creator of an alternate reality, knowingly spewing disinformation, discord, and division? Either variant, of course, is terrible.

snip//

The temptation is to look away, to move on, to cringe and avert your gaze. That is exactly what the Republicans in the Senate, who have stood by Trump through impeachment and other ignominies, have done this week, pivoting so seamlessly into bashing the new Biden Administration that they never even stopped to acknowledge its existence. Like the vast majority of his G.O.P. colleagues, Senator John Cornyn, of Texas, has yet to publicly admit that Biden won. Nonetheless, he gave a speech on the Senate floor decrying Biden’s choices for top posts. “I will not support any nominee who doesn’t provide full transparency into their work on behalf of a foreign government. I will not do it,” Cornyn said. Never mind, in other words, the past four years of the Trump Administration, when a President and his children profited every single day off undisclosed foreign business arrangements.

more...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-trumps-washington/the-president-is-acting-crazy-so-why-are-we-shrugging-it-off

17 replies, 3595 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 09:05 PM

1. K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 09:10 PM

3. The GD m$m Better Not be "shrugging"

it off.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 09:40 PM

4. Trump has a lock on the insane vote.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of insanity in the US.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 10:14 PM

5. "...either the President actually believes what he is saying, in which case he is crazy..."

Full Stop

You don't need to go on.

Sure, Trump is a cruel, racist, sollipstic piece of shit, but underlying ALL that, at his core, he's fucking crazy.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 10:29 PM

6. These

Senators are all complicit in the mass murder of Americans and letting their thug criminal just do it.

McConnell cried for Lamar Alexander leaving but has not said one word about the number of Americans who have perished. I hate these SOB's, they have such disdain for the American people.

They should be stripped of their title.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 10:29 PM

7. Boiling frog syndrome. He's been slowly ratcheting up the cray for 4.5 years

We just get numb. We have to, the outrage would consume us otherwise.

Reply to this post

Response to flibbitygiblets (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 4, 2020, 09:23 AM

17. I think you're onto something

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 10:30 PM

8. Psychopath - Serial Mass Murderer.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 10:31 PM

9. No, *rump is not "crazy" he is...

...EVIL. There is a difference. In fact, "crazy" means nothing when used to describe *rump. The word "evil" explains all we need to know.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 3, 2020, 10:59 PM

10. How about if Biden calls Conryn's bluff, and nominates Jared for a position needing Senate approval

with the stipulation that if Jared provides full transparency into his work on behalf of foreign governments and comes out clean, he can have the position?

I know, bad idea. But it would be fun to see Conryn hospitalized for whiplash.

But again, the hypocrisy of what Conryn said should have already given him whiplash. Perhaps he's immune.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 4, 2020, 02:13 AM

11. Good to see some journalism. The complicity of GOP should be headlined.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 4, 2020, 02:46 AM

12. Well send in a straitjacket team and bind him up, frog march him out, with a ball gag in place

I wont complain, send him off for evaluation for a couple months, he wont be missed

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 4, 2020, 06:35 AM

13. Likely afraid of what he'll do if you call him on it.

We went through something similar with our elderly father before he died.

Bad judgment with a confidence of immunity led to disasters.

* He started a fire in a room upstairs. Fire Dept. called. It was obvious his actions started the fire but the Official Report put down that it was defective wiring in the wall.

* After he died, the House needed serious attention as he refused to repair and maintain it. E.g., holes in the roof/black mold, carpet with dried dog pee, and more

* Calling for an ambulance to be taken to the hospital for purposes of a taxi, not an emergency.

* Numerous car accidents, inc. driving in the wrong lane.

My brother, sister, and I were well aware of his actions, antics. We even momentarily considered putting him in a "home," but Dad had enough cognitive ability to get around the tests needed to be committed. We also considered that b/c Dad was prone to be ornery, if we confronted him, addressed his actions with him, that likely he'd change his Will and we'd be disinherited.

Guess what? We said nothing, did nothing. And Dad died. And disinherited us anyway.

My Point: Don't be afraid of what Trump will do if he's confronted. You'll get the same result if you don't.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 4, 2020, 06:40 AM

14. He feels that he was entitled to win and knows that he took

steps to sabotage the election via the Post Office, so he’s still in shock that he lost. I think that he knows that he lost and he also knows how gullible the Trumpanzees are

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 4, 2020, 07:05 AM

15. Who wrote the "speech"?

I only saw a brief clip or two but noticed that Trump was using a teleprompter. Last night Bob Woodward confirmed that on CNN.

I'd like to know who is sitting around in a back room someplace writing this subversive/seditious stuff for him to read. Maybe some "news" writers at Fox, Newsmax, or OANN? Somebody in the Kremlin? Somebody getting a big cut of that $207 million he's raked in by not conceding? It suggests possible seditious conspiracy and seditious conspiracy (18 U.S.C. § 2384) is a crime under United States law.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 4, 2020, 07:06 AM

16. Must Read

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread