HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Oh No! Ben Shapiro discov...

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 04:50 PM

Oh No! Ben Shapiro discovered Hollywood's plan to only make movies that make conservatives angry!

https://www.mediamatters.org/ben-shapiro/ben-shapiro-complains-about-holiday-film-happiest-season-featuring-lesbian-couple

Again, I'm not even saying that it's terrible to make a movie about -- that's a lesbian romcom. Make whatever you want. All I'm saying is that if you're a conservative with conservative sensibilities, at a certain point you might get sick of the fact that Hollywood only wants to make the kinds of movies that you despise. Right? And only wants to make the kind of movies that slap your sensibilities in the face and treat you like you're a fool. Again, that movie from Hulu apparently -- I haven't seen it yet so I'm going by the reviews, which are, of course, one hundred percent positive -- the movie is all about how a conservative family learns that all of their religious values has been a bunch of crap for years. Which is always exciting news.

Wow! A Christmas-movie about a person who learns to love their neighbor! That's outrageous! That's the most unchristian thing I have ever heard!

What made Hollywood think that a movie about being nice to each other is fit for Christmas???

What happened to the good old-fashioned Christmas-movies about how lesbians are going to hell???

Fucking Hollywood always trying to piss of conservatives!!! Yaaaaargh!!!

EDIT: If you want to know the true meaning of Christmas: Kirk Cameron has made a cheesy ultra-christian Christmas-movie how the real meaning of Christmas is (not kidding) materialism, money and wealth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saving_Christmas

27 replies, 1025 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
Reply Oh No! Ben Shapiro discovered Hollywood's plan to only make movies that make conservatives angry! (Original post)
DetlefK Dec 1 OP
underpants Dec 1 #1
TheBlackAdder Dec 1 #17
Orangepeel Dec 1 #2
xmas74 Dec 1 #21
Guy Whitey Corngood Dec 1 #3
Midnight Writer Dec 1 #7
Guy Whitey Corngood Dec 1 #12
Midnight Writer Dec 1 #13
Guy Whitey Corngood Dec 1 #15
rurallib Dec 1 #4
greenjar_01 Dec 1 #5
dhill926 Dec 1 #6
MaryMagdaline Dec 1 #8
xmas74 Dec 1 #22
MaryMagdaline Dec 1 #24
hunter Dec 1 #23
MaryMagdaline Dec 1 #25
TlalocW Dec 1 #9
Azathoth Dec 1 #10
Volaris Dec 1 #16
Caliman73 Dec 1 #20
C_U_L8R Dec 1 #11
comradebillyboy Dec 1 #14
Volaris Dec 1 #18
MaryMagdaline Dec 1 #26
rsdsharp Dec 1 #19
jmowreader Dec 1 #27

Response to DetlefK (Original post)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 04:54 PM

1. He's just the gift that keeps on giving Clark

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to underpants (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:31 PM

17. His shtick is to talk fast to get opponents to speak fast too. The key is to not fall into that trap

He speaks fast and says a bunch of shit to thrown any opponent off track because most people are not mental and like to deliberate what they are saying. Unfortunately, when one side speaks fast, it often moves the other side into the uncomfortable area of speaking fast and they are more prone to mistakes. This is what Shapiro capitalizes on.

The key to diffusing tools like this is to force the pacing to be exceptionally slow. If he speaks fast, ask him to say it at a normal pace, and he'll just take it down a notch. Then, ask him to repeat the same thing slower still, forcing him to return to a normal conversational speed. He does not want that because normal speed and pauses means that the other side can see he is talking shit because they have time to digest it.

When cornering that little shit, just like with people with borderline personality disorders, you make him answer your questions. When trapped, he resorts to redirection, which most people will follow because they are not skilled at dealing with people with disorders. Once you know he'll redirect when trapped, he'll then lose his shit if he is cornered to answer a question. If he changes the subject, return to the original topic, he'll try and redirect again, by the third time he'll realize there is no escape and his mind will go haywire.

Slowing down his pacing and preventing his redirections are keys to making his tiny brain short circuit.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 04:56 PM

2. does his cable provider not carry the Hallmark channel?

I watched The Happiest Season last night. It was cute.

Reply to this post

Response to Orangepeel (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:50 PM

21. They're all boycotting Hallmark.

The Christmas House is about a gay couple.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 04:57 PM

3. Oh fuck off, you speed talking chode. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Guy Whitey Corngood (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:03 PM

7. His fast talk is a confusion tactic. By the time you suss out one lie, he's already spit out 10 more

I can't believe people take this con man seriously, but I know many that do.

Reply to this post

Response to Midnight Writer (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:17 PM

12. And if you slow the "tape" down you can hear how he uses a lot and I mean a lot

of words, to not say much of anything.

Reply to this post

Response to Guy Whitey Corngood (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:21 PM

13. Yep, he jumps frantically from one place to another to another to another, like a frog on a griddle.

Reply to this post

Response to Midnight Writer (Reply #13)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:23 PM

15. But without the

charisma.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 04:58 PM

4. So, Ben, go to movies that you like and don't go to the ones you don't like

I am sure that there will still be lots of movies about near feathers meeting Gawd or Jesus. Soon I suspect there will be movies about what a great person Trump is. Got to those Benny. There should be plenty of seats available.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 04:59 PM

5. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a classic holiday movie

I actually love it. It's very good.

One of its classic scenes is the two main characters being disgusted about their accidental same sex touching. It's almost shockingly homophobic in retrospect. People watch it, recognize the time, move on.

Ben Shapiro is a fucking snowflake.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:00 PM

6. Hollywood's plan is to make money...

it seems more people like to watch movies that might make conservatives mad. What does that say....

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:05 PM

8. I saw the movie last night. It was a sappy Christmas movie with a family not

Identifiably conservative OR Christian - in fact, they modeled pretty therapy-centric pablum and no church scenes or church references. The writers extended the usual christmassy sappy circle to have the girl meets girl end happily and even extend to reuniting the married couple whose husband was having an affair under his wifeís nose. Pretty conservative and pro-marriage. All with O Holy Night playing in the background. There was also the typical gay male best friend playing the stereotypical role of the gay male best friend.

So yea it was pretty Hollywood-ish since every single character became a better person by end of movie, and happiness wins through.

I get his point, though. Hollywood has fought the culture wars on behalf of gay people and to the extent that any battles were won, Hollywood has won them for gay people. Good for them. I feel justified in continuing to watch.

Reply to this post

Response to MaryMagdaline (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:53 PM

22. But the gay male best friend is Dan Levy.

He's worth two hours of worthless crap just to see five minutes of him.

(Not saying the movie is bad because I haven't watched it yet. I just really enjoy Levy.)

Reply to this post

Response to xmas74 (Reply #22)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 09:02 PM

24. Yes! He's wonderful in every scene

Reply to this post

Response to MaryMagdaline (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:57 PM

23. It's a sappy Christmas movie. I like that.

It's not the David Lynch blood-on-the-streets version of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" that I somehow survived when I was young and very naive.

Some of the characters in my life's movie were better people in the end because they were dead and no longer able to inflict their hellish Christian "values" on anyone else.

One of the worst days of my life was when my girlfriend's girlfriend tried to kill herself in my bathtub, one Thanksgiving weekend more than forty years ago. One of the better days was her stepdad's funeral. It's possible people were pissing on his grave the day after, maybe even that night.

One learns forgiveness, realizes that not everyone has the strength to break away from the cruel faiths hammered into them by others, but along with this one also realizes there are certain people who embrace these faiths, or are embraced by these faiths, because they like to hurt people.

Reply to this post

Response to hunter (Reply #23)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 09:11 PM

25. Yes. Dan Levy's character has a pretty good line about his fate when coming out vs

Kristen Stewartís fate when coming out. Levyís characterís fate was horrible ... thrown out of his fatherís house. While the movie does not emphasize the horrible, itís definitely there.

The movie does not specifically point the finger at faith-based (the faith excuse for) homophobia but we all know itís a large contributor.

I give you credit for even trying to forgive. Sometimes I just say nope.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:07 PM

9. Not having seen it, it sounds like it's a somewhat fresh take on a staid formula

I guess Ben could fund a movie that does the opposite - woman brings her girlfriend home for Christmas, and the family kicks them out. Or alternatively, they come home, and everyone is just repressed and on edge about the situation throughout the entire movie, and everyone goes home on the 26th with no plot advancement. The second one has been my family a few years.

Or if you don't want to be that close to reality, they find boyfriends for both of them, essentially getting them to overcome their sin.

I listen to a podcast of three (normally - sometimes they have guests) atheists hilariously breaking down Christian films like, "Saving Christmas," "God's Not Dead," and even more low budget ones. I'm sure they've tackled a movie like what I'm describing. Called God Awful Movies.

TlalocW

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:08 PM

10. Ben is a failed wannabe screenwriter

As I recall, he got his start in conservative punditry by whining that his attempts at being a screenwriter after law school were thwarted because liberal Hollywood wouldn't produce his scripts.

Reply to this post

Response to Azathoth (Reply #10)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:29 PM

16. That's because his scripts were all trash. Not Hollywoods fault they exist to make money,

And it's hard to sell what nobody wants to buy.

Reply to this post

Response to Azathoth (Reply #10)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:46 PM

20. BINGO

A lot of sour grapes because Shapiro can't write his way out of a paper bag. He thinks that it was because he is conservative that he couldn't get a break. No Ben, its because you have no talent. There are conservative actors, directors, and producers who make it in Hollywood. I mean Clint Eastwood has horrible political views, but Unforgiven was a good movie and Grand Torino. Vince Vaughn is a decent comedic actor. Gary Senise is more libertarian but still, he is a good actor.

Shapiro sucks, but he thinks he is being discriminated against for his politics. No dude, it is simply because you are horrible.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:09 PM

11. Truth is, you conservatives with conservative sensibilities...

You are a lousy market with no clout and no one wants to make products for you... aside from adult diapers, guns for the erectile challenged, reverse mortgage schemes and craptastic pillows.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:23 PM

14. Hollywood just wants to make movies that make money.

Reply to this post

Response to comradebillyboy (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:35 PM

18. And therein lies the best of ironies; hollywood is the nation's best example of true free market

capitalism (they deliver the product that customers want to pay for), and the right wing loons just CANNOT convince them to take on a money-losing product.

Youd think the citizens of Galts Gulch would fucking understand how this works lol...

Reply to this post

Response to Volaris (Reply #18)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 09:13 PM

26. Nailed it!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 05:36 PM

19. This guy sounds like a gerbil on speed.

His voice alone is sooooo annoying, without even getting to his content.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 09:21 PM

27. Seriously guys, is there anything that DOESN'T make conservatives angry?

Being pissed off at everything seems to be the default condition for today's conservative. So...well yeah, Hollywood makes a lot of movies that piss right wingers off, simply because you can't avoid pissing them off.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread