HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How come we can't mail a ...

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 02:26 PM

How come we can't mail a check to both GA candidates and also to Fair Fight, instead of

signing up on line and paying online?

17 replies, 640 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to BComplex (Original post)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 02:58 PM

1. Who says you can't mail a check?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PoindexterOglethorpe (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 03:01 PM

2. I've been trying to email fairfight, and when I go to their website, every time I click on "contact"

and put in one of the email addresses they link you to, nothing happens.

Jon Ossoff and Rev Warnock's web sites don't have a link to print out the necessary campaign contribution disclosures for people who want to send a check in the mail, and who can print out the disclosure and fill it out to send with the check.

Many many many elderly people will not put their credit card numbers in the computer, but they will send a written check.

Democrats are leaving a shit load of money on the table if they don't make it easier to let people do that through their websites.

Reply to this post

Response to BComplex (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 03:11 PM

5. Their websites both give a mailing address.

You need to scroll down to the bottom, but they're there.

Reply to this post

Response to BComplex (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 03:58 PM

9. Somehow, I think we figured that out in November...

...I doubt Ossoff and Warnock were "leaving money on the table" in the lead-up to November.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 03:07 PM

3. IT's right here at the bottom of the page

Reply to this post

Response to relayerbob (Reply #3)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 04:09 PM

12. I got the Fair Fight one! Thanks! I've emailed it to my friends.

I also have the Ossoff address, but not a link for the campaign finance disclosure to mail with the checks. The address at the bottom of Warnock's page is for his web hosting site, not for his campaign.

Reply to this post

Response to BComplex (Reply #12)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 04:48 PM

14. I wonder whether anyone even has that sort of form anymore

Just print the page out with the requirements, state their names and employers (or disabled/retired, which is likely the case) and send it in.

Campaigns can't afford the staffing and training to handle that sort of thing, which is why virtually none of them do any more. The amount they would bring in from checks would probably not cover the fees for the bank transactions and the salaries and overhead of the people who would have to handle those transaction. ActBlue can set up the check handling, but it probably costs the campaigns more, and the percentage of people sending checks in the mail is tiny these days. In a race with this short of a deadline, the odds the campaigns will receive the checks and get them deposited and credited to their accounts are slim and getting worse with each passing day.

They need to be aware that sending a check in means everyone who touches that check has full access to their account numbers, bank routing numbers and probably their addresses, too. Some people still think SSNs should be on checks also, which they should not be. Checks in the mail also get stolen. I understand people are paranoid, but they need to understand relative risks, and sending checks in the mail is much higher risk than online. Especially true if they use Paypal, where no one gets access to the info, either as a memeber or not.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 03:10 PM

4. In general, campaigns are all letting ActBlue handle it

They have neither the staff, the experience, nor the time to handle it. Especially checks, which, if not high enough, end up costing the campaign money. Believe me, the last thing anyone wants to handle are 10,000 $10 checks

Reply to this post

Response to relayerbob (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 03:50 PM

6. There are a lot of seniors who won't put their bank or credit card information on the internet.

Sorry, but that's how it is. And yet, some of them are wanting to send substantial donations. I know two of them, and that's why I did the post, because Jon Ossoff has an address, but no link to download and print out the contribution disclosure agreement.

Act Blue is great, and I use it all the time. But there is a shit load of money in the hands of seniors who are trying to save our country, but refuse to put personal financial info on the internet.

Reply to this post

Response to BComplex (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 03:54 PM

7. And every one of them knows how to mail a check to an address.

Been doing it for decades.

Reply to this post

Response to BComplex (Reply #6)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 03:55 PM

8. I already posted the link where to send checks

And, TBH, checks are FAR less secure than internet transactions for the most part

Reply to this post

Response to relayerbob (Reply #8)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 04:01 PM

11. No kidding.

Bank routing number and account number are right on the check. But, whatever makes you happy I guess.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 04:01 PM

10. You don't NEED a specific form...

What you need to do is prepare a letter providing:

Full Name
Full Address
Phone Number
EMail Address
Occupation
Employer

Include the following statements:
I am a U.S. citizen or lawfully admitted permanent resident (i.e., green card holder).
This contribution complies with the provisions of the Ethics in Government Act, O.C.G.A. Sec 21-5-30, et seq.
I am at least eighteen years old.
This contribution is made from my own funds, and funds are not being provided to me by another person or entity for the purpose of making this contribution.

Signature

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #10)

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 04:12 PM

13. Thanks, Brooklynite.

I'll forward that on.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 04:50 PM

15. I don't know what the hesitancy to use ACT BLUE is. I pay via paypal and don't sign the

recurring and I know it goes to the candidate. It has been a huge success for the Democratic Party.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 05:37 PM

16. I got it all worked out. Thanks, DUers!

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 30, 2020, 05:50 PM

17. ActBlue has a link where your donation will be split three ways:

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/georgiasenate?
These runoff elections will be tough fights, but we know we can win. We need your help right now to make sure they win -- and to protect the right of every eligible Georgian to make their voice heard. Split a donation between Raphael Warnock, Jon Ossoff, and Fair Fight to protect the vote and send both candidates to the Senate.

At the bottom of that page is also a mailing address where you can send a check to Fair Fight. I think this is only for Fair Fight and not split three ways as the ActBlue link above is.

Federal law requires us to use our best efforts to collect and report the name, mailing address, occupation and name of employer of individuals (and organizations) whose contributions aggregate in excess of $200 in a calendar year.

Contributions to Fair Fight, Inc. - Federal PAC are limited to $5,000 per year per entity.

Please send checks to:
Fair Fight
1270 Caroline Street
Suite D120-311
Atlanta, GA 30307

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread