HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » TX: HOLY HELL--"80% of pe...

Thu Nov 12, 2020, 12:04 PM

TX: HOLY HELL--"80% of people who died in jails from #COVID19 were **not convicted** of a crime"!

“73% didn’t have a life sentence”—they were not meant to die in jail or prison.

From a new report on COVID deaths in custody in Texas.

?s=20
https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/bitstream/handle/2152/83635/Profile%20of%20COVID%20deaths%20in%20custody.pdf?sequence=6&isAllowed=y

5 replies, 624 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply TX: HOLY HELL--"80% of people who died in jails from #COVID19 were **not convicted** of a crime"! (Original post)
kpete Nov 12 OP
Bayard Nov 12 #1
Duppers Nov 12 #4
Solly Mack Nov 12 #2
IndyOp Nov 12 #3
Duppers Nov 12 #5

Response to kpete (Original post)

Thu Nov 12, 2020, 12:18 PM

1. Makes you wonder how much this is happening in other states

The lawsuits will be crushing. I suspect charges will be filed.

I have a friend who started her new job about the same time Covid started here. She's a psychologist/counselor at the local prison. We text all the time, but I have not visited her at all in the past several months. Too risky, even though she says she double-masks. The warden won't test the population, because he doesn't want the numbers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Bayard (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 12, 2020, 11:32 PM

4. "doesn't want the numbers"

Has to be an R.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 12, 2020, 12:25 PM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 12, 2020, 12:38 PM

3. People without money can't put up bail and it takes years for cases to be heard...

in the meantime, they waste away in jail in constant severe stress, witnessing or being the target of violence, while what little stability they may have had is lost.

Initially Kalief Browder's family couldn't afford bail and then when they were able to raise the money they were not allowed to post bail.

Kalief Browder (May 25, 1993 – June 6, 2015) was an African-American youth from The Bronx, New York, who was held at the Rikers Island jail complex, without trial, for allegedly stealing a backpack containing valuables between 2010 and 2013. His family was not allowed to post his bail. During his imprisonment, Browder was in solitary confinement for two years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalief_Browder

Reply to this post

Response to IndyOp (Reply #3)

Thu Nov 12, 2020, 11:33 PM

5. 😞

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread