HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » It has indeed been a very...

Wed Nov 4, 2020, 06:59 PM

It has indeed been a very happy birthday.

My first cognizance of politics was on 11 04 1952. That was my seventh birthday. The reason it is memorable my grandfather had procured candle holders portraying donkeys and elephants also a miniature whitehouse ornament. The elephant candle holders seven of them were around the top of the cake and the whitehouse, the donkeys without candles were stuck in the side of the cake and descending from the whitehouse. He joked that Eisenhower being elected and Democrats ejected was a great thing.

What did I know I was seven, however I remember it vividly. My Grandpa was a generally good guy taught me many things that stuck with me for life. As I grew up I thought I was a Republican. However as I matured and with the prodding of my future Mother In Law and my future wife I did some self examination. My Grandpa was a farmer who if not for Roosevelts WPA in the depression would have lost his farm. He didn't see the irony in that apparently. I began to question this cognitive dissonance that my Gramps had. I have never been able to fully explain it to myself. I just at some point knew it was wrong and made no sense.

After entering the working world and seeing how things actually went I became a life long Democrat. Today is shaping up to be the best birthday present I've ever had. That Michigan my Michigan could atone for the terrible mistake they made and that the Coup De Gras was administered by those women from Michigan is the frosting on my birthday cake.

5 replies, 283 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply It has indeed been a very happy birthday. (Original post)
gibraltar72 Nov 2020 OP
handmade34 Nov 2020 #1
soothsayer Nov 2020 #2
SheltieLover Nov 2020 #3
Just_Vote_Dem Nov 2020 #4
Disaffected Nov 2020 #5

Response to gibraltar72 (Original post)

Wed Nov 4, 2020, 07:00 PM

1. a very happy one!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to gibraltar72 (Original post)