HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Link between cow's milk a...

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 11:18 AM

Link between cow's milk and breast cancer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6573940/

Objectives
Associations between diet and risk of breast cancer have been difficult to identify. Dairy milk has been hypothesized as a possible cause based on ecological data, also its sex hormone content (70% of dairy cows are pregnant), and likely ability to raise levels of insulin-like growth factor-1. We tested the dairy-breast cancer hypothesis in the Adventist Health Study-2 (AHS-2) cohort.

---------------------------------------------

Results
Comparing 90th to 10th percentiles of intake, dairy milk was associated with a hazard ratio (HR) of 1.41 (95% CI: 1.15–1.72; P = 0.001), rising to 2.56 (95% CI:1.51–4.99; P < 0.001) with the less biased but less precise regression calibration procedure. Models substituting median intakes of soymilk for dairy milk (medians of users) predicted a HR of 0.66 (95% CI:0.51–0.85; P < 0.001). No associations were seen with cheese or yogurt. Associations were non-linear with steeper rises in breast cancer risk at intakes of dairy milk up to ¾ cup/day. No clear indication of protection was seen for soymilk after adjustment for dairy.

Conclusions
In this population, dairy milk consumption is clearly associated with risk of breast cancer after adjusting for soy intake. This was not the case for cheese (known to have lower hormone content). More work is needed to define possible mechanisms. Those at higher risk of breast cancer may gain advantage by limiting milk intake and considering dairy substitutes.

15 replies, 963 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Maraya1969 (Original post)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 11:23 AM

1. I've never been a milk drinker. Even when I was small. In kindergarten during snack time they

used to hand out little cartons of milk or orange juice and I would dive for the orange juice. My parents would make me drink a glass with dinner but I had to put chocolate flavoring in it. Ugh.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to octoberlib (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 11:36 AM

2. Hate milk, hate cereal

Mom said I spat both cow's milk and cereal out early. My only milk intake is ice cream, milk chocolate or cheese and all have been in moderation. I am not allergic to milk - indeed I have no allergies period.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 11:57 AM

7. I could eat cereal with a small amount of milk but otherwise I'm the same as you.

I love cheese and chocolate.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 12:00 PM

9. I am a child of the 60s

And adults were always pushing milk on us! At least it seemed that way to me. As kids we had to drink it with every meal. I didn’t really like it or dislike it, it was just one of those things that adults were always making you do back then. I ended up with breast cancer at the age of 50, of course by the time I was out on my own I wasn’t drinking milk any more.... but it makes you wonder!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 11:52 AM

5. Strange. I was the same way. My dad used to get upset about it.

They also tried to get me to drink chocolate milk. There was just something about milk I didn't like.

I really hated eggs too. And mayonnaise.

Reply to this post

Response to Mike 03 (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 11:56 AM

6. Milk is mucousy.

Reply to this post

Response to Mike 03 (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 12:01 PM

10. To this day

My sister in her 60s cannot sit at the table with someone eating eggs because they gross her out that much.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 11:58 AM

8. We had a mid-morning milk break all the way through 6th grade

Milk in half pint glass bottles (yep I'm old). Sometimes the milk was cold, more often room temp and at times bordering on spoiling. Bleh. Of course the "drink it all" rule was in effect. I would do everything in my power to NOT take a bottle of milk - some teachers were more observant than others. And this from a kid on a dairy farm where milk was served at every meal - again with a drink it all rule. My mom did take pity on me and only filled my glass half full. But at least the home milk was cold and fresh. I cannot drink milk to this day. Cheese and other milk products - no problem. Fluid milk - probably not going to happen.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 12:05 PM

11. Hated hated hated milk as a child.

I had to drink a glass with dinner every night growing up and it was an exercise in speed gulping just to get it over with. Vile stuff.

Even now I won’t just drink a glass of soy or almond milk because the association is too strong. I cook with dairy substitutes and put them on cereal, but as a beverage it’s a big nope.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 11:45 AM

3. Vegan here: soy, almond, macademia, and oat milk only

It's all fortified w/ D and calcium + I take extra of both + magnesium. Quit drinking cow's milk years ago. Cow's milk is for calves, not people.

Reply to this post

Response to CousinIT (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 11:47 AM

4. Agree.

Milk substitutes abound.

Reply to this post

Response to CousinIT (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 12:06 PM

12. Not my mother, not my milk. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 12:33 PM

13. Pretty weak study

Non representative sample (only women from 7th day adventist groups) and using those cutoffs without looking at other issues.

My guess is if you are on the 90th percentile for milk consumption, there are probably other issues in both diet, exercise, etc and comparing it to the 10th percentile (which may be limited to lactose intolerant folks, which I did not see addressed).

Probably another case of either one of two things...

1. Moderation is all things, no effect size for people who drink anywhere in the normal range for milk. People at the extremes have other health issues going on that lead to whatever difference you might find.

2. Cherry picking statistics to tell the narrative you want to hear.

Let's see this replicated with a randomized or semi-randomized sample of women and look for results not in the most extremes of diets.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 01:08 PM

14. I have breast cancer, and never drink milk.

Haven't really ever - but it's been 30 years since I drank a cup of milk (part of my pregnancy routine - the single 9-months when I intentionally drank milk).

As a child - didn't drink it, didn't put it on cereal, etc.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 01:47 PM

15. No association with yogurt, yet why that would be is not discussed and I know of no study

that suggests the specific bacterial transformation of hormone components of milk/milk fat nor pesticide components which could just as easily be at issue.

But more to the point, given the fact that hormones are fat-soluble, the study's failure to evaluate a "dose-response" based on not only the total amount consumed but the fat content of the milk consumed leaves me very dismayed at this study and highly questionable of its validity.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread