HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Media executives are fina...

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 10:23 PM

Media executives are finally accepting the decline of cable TV as they plot a new path forward

Thereís a quiet consensus emerging in the hallways and boardrooms of American media companies.

They expect about 25 million U.S. households to cancel their pay-TV subscriptions over the next five years. This is on top of the 25 million homes that have already cut the cord since 2012. At least three major media companies now expect pay-TV subscriptions to stabilize around 50 million, according to people familiar with the matter, who declined to speak on the record because their company plans are private.

The projected decline in subscribers will mean a drop of about $25 billion in cable subscription revenue plus associated advertising losses for the largest U.S. media companies, including Disney, Comcastís NBCUniversal, AT&Tís WarnerMedia, ViacomCBS, Fox, Discovery, Sinclair and AMC Networks.

This assumption has created a tectonic shift in the media industry. In the last three months, Disney, NBCUniversal, WarnerMedia and ViacomCBS have all announced major reorganizations. Theyíve replaced old leaders, consolidated divisions, laid off tens of thousands of employees, and pivoted to streaming video.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/24/big-media-companies-reorganize-for-world-of-50-million-tv-subscribers.html

9 replies, 871 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Klaralven (Original post)

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 10:26 PM

1. Maybe they should look at reforming the packages that they force people to buy. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Blue_true (Reply #1)

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 10:48 PM

2. Exactly! A lot of ppl would like some access, not the forced groupings offered

If you want just one channel/platform why not let viewers have it? Most of what they bundle together just to get the one you want is a load of crap

Reply to this post

Response to Thekaspervote (Reply #2)

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 10:57 PM

3. I have never understood why they haven't allowed customers to truly customize

The selections that come to their homes. They can require that channels like CSPAN be in every package, but beyond that, the customer should choose what he or she wants.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #3)

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 11:02 PM

4. It's because just a few networks own a lot of those channels,

and they have no interest in unbundling.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 11:03 PM

5. And they probably wouldn't be facing all of these cancellations

if they had allowed this from the start .

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 11:11 PM

6. Exactly. Who ever comes up with an ala carte cable package option

will make a killing.

I, for one, don't want one penny of my money to support Rupert Murdoch. But I don't have a choice.

Reply to this post

Response to not_the_one (Reply #6)

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 11:23 PM

7. Absolutely... Prime already has several individual channels within their service for cheap ala carte

You get a week free, then itís month to month cancel anytime...why not??

Reply to this post

Response to not_the_one (Reply #6)

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 11:36 PM

9. My Dish Flex Pack package has no Murdoch channels.

I give up MSNBC just to stick it to Murdoch.

Reply to this post

Response to Klaralven (Original post)

Sun Oct 25, 2020, 11:34 PM

8. I literally have a limited basic cable in my house from over the air TV.

A scan on my TV pulls in 47 channels. About 30 ones I consider to be usable.

About the only place linear TV will survive is on satellite for the rural areas.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread