HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I changed my mind about a...

Fri Oct 23, 2020, 11:34 PM

I changed my mind about absentee voting and want to vote in person..HELP!

Here is a useful site that I found that explains the process for each state. Ohio is very restrictive

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mail-in-ballot-vs-in-person-voting_l_5f77aaa6c5b649e564b2c372

7 replies, 855 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply I changed my mind about absentee voting and want to vote in person..HELP! (Original post)
Rice4VP Oct 23 OP
ornotna Oct 23 #1
dem4decades Oct 24 #2
ornotna Oct 24 #5
MagickMuffin Oct 24 #3
Maeve Oct 24 #4
Ms. Toad Oct 24 #6
Blue_true Oct 24 #7

Response to Rice4VP (Original post)

Fri Oct 23, 2020, 11:41 PM

1. It's simple in Florida

Just bring your ballot with you to the voting location, they destroy it and print you a new one. Easy peasy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ornotna (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 24, 2020, 12:25 AM

2. I heard in Pennsylvania you must bring your entire packet to the poll, not just the ballot.

If you don't have all the envelopes you're screwed. Sound correct?

Reply to this post

Response to dem4decades (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 24, 2020, 01:06 AM

5. In my case I brought the whole packet

I never even opened it. Not sure how it's done in Pennsylvania.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 24, 2020, 12:39 AM

3. Yep, in Texas you must surrender your ballot in order to receive a in person ballot

The election judge prepares the paperwork and you receive the in person ballot.

If you are unable to surrender your ballot you are allowed a provisional ballot. Which should be counted if the absentee ballot is never received.

One of my friends just decided to do this. However, she didn't have her ballot so she had to vote provisionally. If her ballot is never received then her provisional ballot should be counted.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 24, 2020, 01:02 AM

4. Actually you can still vote early in person in Ohio

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/10/01/ohio-absentee-ballot-requested-vote-in-person-instead-2020-election/5872869002/

If you changed your mind about voting by mail, you can vote in-person early at the county board of elections.
Here's the technical reason why: voting by mail and voting in-person early at the county board of elections are both called absentee voting. The term means you are "absent" from your polling location on Election Day, Nov. 3

You can't vote election day, except provisionally, tho. And the state website won't tell you this--but some county sites do.

Reply to this post

Response to Maeve (Reply #4)

Sat Oct 24, 2020, 01:09 AM

6. Absolutey correct.

In addition, if you want to vote "in person" on election day, the only non-provisional way to do it is to drop your absent ballot off at the county board of elections. You cannot drop it off at your polling place.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 24, 2020, 02:05 AM

7. Call your local elections office. Don't open your ballot.

If the process for surrendering the ballot to get an in person ballot results in you voting provisional, then you should fill out the mailin ballot and take it to the elections office, DONíT mail it, it may not make it to the office in time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread