HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why does the media still ...

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:07 PM

Why does the media still treat Trump like he's a normal politician?

A bit of a lunch time rant. Every god-damned day I see headlines or articles about how Trump can turn things around. How there is still time. He just needs to do this and this and this then maybe he will close the polling gap and win over voters.

Fucking stop.

The issue is that the media continues to treat Trump like he is a normal, intelligent politician. Why are people still expecting Trump, after all these years, to suddenly not be Trump?

Here's the problem, he's not going to follow any advice and the expection that he will is beyond ridiculous. The guy is not intelligent, he has no impulse control, he is surrounded by people who don't know what they are doing, and he can't admit mistakes. He's not going to suddenly start acting normal or take advice on becoming more professional and presidential.

For example, I keep seeing articles about how Trump should approach the debate tonight. He hasn't spent 1 minute preparing for the debate tonight. His first debate performance was a disaster because he doesn't know how to debate. His townhall last week was a bizarre shit show because he doesn't know how to answer questions, seeing as he is a total dumbass. You don't need a crystal ball to know how it's going to go tonight. He's going to do a shitty job and it isn't going to help his electoral position. Maybe he will scream. Maybe he will be a whiney downer. Maybe he will be a rambling moron. Doesn't matter. It's going to be shit because he is in way over his head but doesn't realize it.

So stop trying to give Trump advice. Stop saying "he just has to do this or this". He isn't going to listen and even if he did, he had no ability to actually act on any of it. He's a psychotic dumbass. There isn't going to be a turn around performance tonight. There isn't going to be a pivot. He isn't going to become disciplined. Why is it taking people so long to figure this out?

11 replies, 404 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Dr. Jack (Original post)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:13 PM

1. The normalizing by the media is tiring and

COMPLICIT! Same as 2016. They want a horse race soooooo badly. So help me if they start cherry picking polls with a few days to go, then numbers start looking fishy on election night (tabulators).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:14 PM

2. 👏 every time I hear somebody on the TV news say ,"trump thinks" or "trump feels" I yell at the TV.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:16 PM

3. Trump's only chance is that Biden self destructs.

Thatís why he was behaving so aggressively at the first debate and why heís pushing this fake Hunter Biden scandal so aggressively.

Trump knows he canít win based on his own merit - he has to count on Biden making a catastrophic mistake.

It isnít going to happen.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:16 PM

4. How should they treat him?

I'm not being snarky. It's a serious question. I often see posts like this that don't seem to provide a solution, in part because I'm not sure that a solution exists. Many in the media have been calling him out on his bullshit for years. What's changed? Nothing.

If they just ignore him, then they're not doing their jobs. Whether we agree with it or not, he's still the POTUS and what he does is inherently newsworthy, even if it's batshit crazy. Particularly if it's batshit crazy.

The media says he could still turn this around because, surprise!, he could still turn this around. The race is a couple of swing states away from still being competitive (though, personally, I think it's going to be a beat-down), so the assertion is not without basis. The race isn't tightening as much as some claim (I'm talking about you, MSNBC) but it's nowhere near 100% a done deal.

So, what do you suggest?

By the way, I agree entirely with the point that he's somewhat normalized, but I think that was inevitable. 30k lies and four years of constant lunacy will tend to wear everyone down, as intended.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightZone (Reply #4)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:20 PM

5. For him to "turn it around", he'd have to change into an entirely different person.

As opposed to the one heís been for 74 years.

So, no. He really canít turn things around.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueStater (Reply #5)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:28 PM

6. Sorry, but that's simply not true.

All it would take is a swing of a few points in a few swing states, and this is suddenly a race. He wouldn't have to change anything.

As I noted, I think it's going to be a blowout, but asserting that the race is 100% over is misguided. The voting public is notoriously fickle and one never knows what might swing sentiment. This is probably the least unlikely time for that to happen, but I didn't think Comey would swing three points, either.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightZone (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:37 PM

7. You mentioned Comey.

That wasnít Trump changing anything around, that was an outside force.

Trump himself is incapable of ever changing from the obnoxious, boorish dolt that he is. I agree with the OP that all these articles saying he needs to change this or that about himself are just wastes of time. Heís not going to. Period.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:38 PM

8. He's not a politician, never was, he's a marketer, and will sell you everything his shady brand can

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:40 PM

9. tRump is indeed a dirty vessel that many many moons ago was

emptied of every human decency and replaced with a putrid evilness beyond ordinary understanding, and it is frantic animalistic survival that dominates his politics. Only the animal kingdom does not seek maximum revenge against rejection, real or imagined. The media has failed the nation by not fully reporting the extreme depth of depravity every time they normalize his antics.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 12:49 PM

10. Why? Money

If tRump had been laughed off the media in 2015, there would not have been the horse race.

In 2020, the media wants to prop him up because now even his buffoonery sells ad time.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 01:27 PM

11. Yip, every sighting of an earnest journalist leaning to ask him thoughtful questions...

is disgusting. If they actually believe it is a legitimate expectation of him to be thoughtful, knowledgeable, or profound - then they are just FOOLS.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread