HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "My husband died of COVID...

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 09:18 AM

"My husband died of COVID-19 and I have just one plea to make of you"

Alice Roberts says she has lost a husband. Her children have lost their dad. Our community has lost an excellent police officer. And we have lost more than 216,000 Americans who weren’t able to escape COVID-19 the way President Trump did. Roberts says she is pleading with Trump supporters and those undecided to remember the president's lack of action after learning the true dangers of the virus and vote him out. Above, Alice and Charles “Rob” Roberts of Glen Ridge and their children. (Photo courtesy of Alice Roberts)

By Alice Roberts

After catching COVID-19 that required a brief stay in the hospital, President Trump blithely said, “Don’t let it take over your lives.”

It’s much too late for that, of course. For my family and me, it took over our lives when it took my husband, Rob.

Rob was a beloved police officer and likely contracted COVID-19 while working an overtime shift, like he often did, to help support our family of three kids, two geckos, a dog, a cat and two hamsters. Many shifts were open in his department because his colleagues were becoming sick with the virus. By April, eight of them tested positive out of a department of about 24 people.

Rob’s first COVID-19 test was mislabeled, and the second one took too long to come back. When he collapsed at our home, we still did not know he had it. His coworkers rushed to our house and resuscitated him, risking their own lives to save his. In the hospital, a talented team of doctors and nurses gave him powerful drugs, and he recovered from the virus. However, Rob’s brain never rebounded from the lack of oxygen from when he collapsed.

In the hospital, Rob’s mother and I saw him in person only twice because of restrictions during the pandemic — first on Mother’s Day, and then the next morning when he was taken off the ventilator. He was 45 years old.

President Trump only sees people in terms of winners and losers. So, let us calculate the losses we have endured these past 10 months under his failed leadership.

For me, I have lost my husband. Years ago, Rob and I met at a charity basketball game of “teachers versus police officers.” We were on opposite sides that day. But for the next 20 years, we built a life together, getting married, buying a fixer-upper in my hometown and raising a family. This school year, I have taken unpaid time off from teaching – a job I love – which means I have lost my benefits, as well as my salary. Like many working parents, I had no one to watch my kids as they learn from home.

Our children have lost their dad, who helped them with their homework, coached them on their many sports teams, and taught them to always be kind to others. My eighth- and 11th-grade daughters are learning 100% virtually now. My son, who is in fifth grade, insisted on going to school, despite my fears that he could get sick, too. Allowing him to see some peers seemed important right now.

Our community lost an excellent police officer. After he died, I found an award he got for saving lives that he had tossed in his closet. He was proud to be a cop but did not think much of accolades. He just wanted to help people. While on domestic calls, he would often sit with families going through some of their darkest moments, telling them that it would be alright. At Rob’s funeral, people came out by the thousands for the procession through our small borough. I wanted to tell everyone that it would be alright, like he would have.

Our nation is on the losing side of a battle with this pandemic. Millions of Americans have lost their jobs, potentially their homes, too. We’ve all lost our freedoms to go about our daily lives, whether it’s going to school, the movies or the YMCA, without the fear that we could get sick.

We have lost more than 216,000 Americans who weren’t able to escape COVID-19 the way President Trump did. Instead of responding to the pandemic by bringing the nation together and doing whatever it would take to control the pandemic, he ignored it, downplayed it, and pointed fingers. And instead of using his own recovery to show empathy, level with the public, and admit he was wrong —something that could have made a difference — he chose vanity, acting like he knows more than the scientists, including Dr. Anthony Fauci.

As our collective losses continue to pile up, what has President Trump lost? Nothing. At least not yet. My hope is that he loses this election.

Before this year, I never made too many pleas in life. But I have made plenty these past several months. First, a plea for my husband’s life. Then, a plea for my kids to have a semblance of normalcy.

Now, I have one for anybody who supports President Trump or for voters who are still on the fence. I plead with you to remember his lack of action after learning the true dangers of the virus in January. Consider the long-term consequences that his failed pandemic response has had on first responders, doctors, nurses, workers, students, teachers, and families. Think of how much more we still stand to lose if we re-elect President Trump who, time and again, has shown us who he is, mask off.

It’s too late to prevent this virus from taking over our lives at this moment. But we still have time to make sure it doesn’t define our future if we stand together in this election and vote out President Trump.

Alice Roberts is the widow of Charles “Rob” Roberts who died from COVID-19 at the age of 45. Mr. Roberts' death was the first line of duty death in the Glen Ridge Police Department’s history.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/10/my-husband-died-of-covid-19-and-i-have-just-one-plea-of-you-opinion.html

21 replies, 6000 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply "My husband died of COVID-19 and I have just one plea to make of you" (Original post)
kpete Oct 2020 OP
Hugin Oct 2020 #1
calimary Oct 2020 #12
NCjack Oct 2020 #2
JCMach1 Oct 2020 #3
Frustratedlady Oct 2020 #4
sarge43 Oct 2020 #5
Evolve Dammit Oct 2020 #6
Niagara Oct 2020 #7
FakeNoose Oct 2020 #8
Laura PourMeADrink Oct 2020 #9
madeup64 Oct 2020 #19
Boogiemack Oct 2020 #10
alfredo Oct 2020 #11
Blue Owl Oct 2020 #13
qanda Oct 2020 #14
Snackshack Oct 2020 #15
CaliforniaPeggy Oct 2020 #16
smirkymonkey Oct 2020 #17
BigmanPigman Oct 2020 #18
Meowmee Oct 2020 #20
AZ8theist Oct 2020 #21

Response to kpete (Original post)

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 09:21 AM

1. I'm doing my darnedest, Mrs. Roberts.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hugin (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 11:47 AM

12. So am I, Mrs. Roberts.

For you, your family, and ALL of those whose loved ones DIDN’T have to die.

Because it didn’t have to happen like this did here. With this piss-poor excuse for “leadership” that we all suffer through now.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 09:36 AM

2. My condolences to you and family. I'm working to extinguish the evil in the White House.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 09:41 AM

3. Reminder, this is ALL of US under their herd immunity plan

They already almost got me and trust you don't want to land in that place.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 09:41 AM

4. I've already voted for Joe & Kamala. I hope those who haven't voted follow Mrs. Roberts' plea.

I am finding myself denying the story of Trump and COVID. I think now that he faked it to gain a "sympathy" vote from those who were leaving him and also the evangelicals. Desperate situations demand desperate actions. None of his doctors were convincing. Perhaps it is because he lies so much, we are programmed to disbelieve anything he says.

One symptom we hear about from victims of COVID after they have recovered is that they are so tired...just can't do much for 6 weeks or so. Here comes Superman. He's either a good actor or he had the normal yearly flu.

I DO believe he was given steroids, though.

My most sincere condolences to the Roberts family. It sounds like Mr. Roberts was a giving and loving father and I hope the sweet memories will help them through their grieving process.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 10:05 AM

5. Condolences, Mrs Roberts.

May you and your children find your memories of that good man will bring you peace and comfort.

FWIW, my husband and I will be at our polling place at sunup 3 Nov. We'll cast our Blue All Way ballots in memory of your husband.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 10:16 AM

6. Such a tragic and unecessary loss. I am so sorry for you and your family, Alice.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 11:14 AM

7. This virus was containable and now is a senseless tragedy.

How anyone can still vote and support MF45 at this point is beyond me. There is no logic or reason with these people.

We're are working hard to elect responsible adults in the White House, Mrs. Roberts. I'm so sorry for your unnecessary loss, along with 216,000+ victims of this awful virus.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 11:19 AM

8. This story is heart-breaking, and the saddest part of it is

... there are so many more stories just like hers. So many good Americans have lost their lives, or their family members, their best friends, their good neighbors - NEEDLESSLY!

Chump is a monster. He must be defeated and then locked up.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 11:20 AM

9. NJ.?.Here's what I think...trump knew in February that virus was airborne

and deadly. He looked at the map. Early infections and death in blue states and cities. And he consciously or subconsciously thought..."hmmmm, places where people won't vote for me". Let them get sick and die. His red states looked pretty good then.

There is NO other explanation for his silence. Worries of inviting panic? Bullshit. He incites panic every day.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 11:30 AM

10. I will never forget it, Alice.! nt

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 11:42 AM

11. So sorry for your loss. Hold your family close.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 12:18 PM

13. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 12:20 PM

14. Don't let it define our future.

Amen!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 12:38 PM

15. So sad...

To read stories like this and know that there are hundreds of thousands more like them. Everything about these stories is heartbreaking, the lives lost who because of the protocols spent their last few days, hours alone, the loved ones left to pick up the pieces and try to find a way to move forward and knowing that it did not have to be this way.

All because one man put himself before everyone else and lied, because the GOP decided they were more important then the citizens of the country they represent and gave that man cover, made excuses, looked the other way so they could manipulate the Justice system to keep them in power and implement their ideologies a Pandemic was allowed to spread unabated...and still is.

We must not only vote DT out we must also hold the entire GOP accountable for this as well. DT could not have done this on his own. They must be voted out.

And...

If we are lucky thru turnout that is history making we manage to hold the House, win back the Senate (at the very least) and the WH in light of all the suppression and challenges to our voting that the GOP is doing we must ensure that Justice is allowed to do its job. We cannot be told that “We need to look forward not backwards”...not this time.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 20, 2020, 11:47 PM

16. Kick!

Heartbreaking story.

In honor of Charles "Rob" Roberts and his bereaved and loving family.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 01:27 AM

17. This is just so heartbreaking.

My condolences to the Roberts family. I am so sorry for their tragic loss.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 02:02 AM

18. I saw her earlier on both CNN and MSNBC and

can't believe how strong she and her family are. I'd be a basket case 24/7.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 06:42 AM

20. voting blue all the way Nov 3

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 08:36 AM

21. I was born in Glen Ridge almost 63 years ago.

This hits home. So sad for the Roberts family.

My sincerest condolences.

Rest assured, however, we are doing our DAMNDEST to throw the murdering, TRAITOROUS IMBECILE on the ash heap of history.

You have my solemn promise.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread