HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Antibodies Fade Quickly i...

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:32 PM

Antibodies Fade Quickly in Recovering COVID-19 Patients

https://scitechdaily.com/antibodies-fade-quickly-in-recovering-covid-19-patients/

By AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MICROBIOLOGY OCTOBER 16, 2020

In the absence of approved, effective treatments for COVID-19, some hospitals have been treating patients with severe COVID symptoms with blood plasma from recovering patients. The blood of recovered patients contains antibodies that act against the coronavirus. While plasma hasn’t yet shown a benefit in randomized trials, some small retrospective studies suggest it may reduce illness severity and reduce hospitalization time.

This week in mBio, an open-access journal of the American Society for Microbiology, researchers report that antibody levels in the blood of COVID-19 patients drop rapidly during the weeks after their bodies have cleared the virus and symptoms have subsided. If convalescent plasma is ultimately shown to have a clear benefit, the authors concluded, then it needs to be collected during a specific window of time after recovery. However, recovering patients can’t donate blood until at least 14 days after symptoms have subsided, to give the body time to clear viral particles.

“We don’t want to transfuse the virus, just transfuse the antibodies,” said Andrés Finzi, Ph.D., at the University of Montreal, in Canada. “But at the same time, our work shows that the capacity of the plasma to neutralize viral particles is going down during those first weeks.”

The spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 plays a crucial role in helping the virus grab and invade host cells. Antibodies produced by the body’s immune system bind to a part of this protein and block the capacity of this “key” to engage with the host’s cellular “lock”, said Finzi, preventing the viral particle from infecting a cell host.

Much more at link.

15 replies, 1026 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to SheltieLover (Original post)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:35 PM

1. i.e. shithole becoming less remembering . ..

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:54 PM

2. If this is true, a vaccine will not be very helpful. n/t

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Response to Laelth (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:58 PM

4. That was my thought.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:10 PM

5. No different things

The vaccine will allow your body to create the antibodies.
What this study is saying is that they don't hang around long after they are not needed. What we still need to know is how long the body remembers haw to produce the antibodies and how fast that memory springs back.

Reply to this post

Response to judeling (Reply #5)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:31 PM

9. A regular infection will also allow your body to create the antibodies

If this story is correct, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be, we're looking at a perfect shitstorm - a virus that can't be vaccinated against, and for which the only way to kill it off is to get the fucking antimaskers to cover their hideous faces for the next six months to a year.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:58 PM

12. It is amazing how SARS-COV-2, which is simpler that other viruses, is able to overcome

things like anti-body levels, while more complex viruses can’t. Maybe the keys are in SARS-COV-2 simple makeup and the fact that it is a Coronavirus in the cold virus family. We don the have a vaccine or cure for the common cold after scientists trying for one for decades. Maybe the common cold’s nasty cousin utilizes unknown mechanisms that the common cold utilizes.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:57 PM

3. "We don't want to transfuse the virus...." Oh shit, We're all going die!

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:19 PM

6. I know someone who almost died in February and he was tested this week and still has them.

This disease is weird (novel), and I think its changed a ton since March/ April.

Reply to this post

Response to NightWatcher (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:23 PM

7. Is your friend ok?

Glad he still has antibodies.

Yes, it is really weird!

Reply to this post

Response to SheltieLover (Reply #7)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:33 PM

10. He's much better, just gets tired easier than before. That's a leftover that a lot of people report

Reply to this post

Response to NightWatcher (Reply #10)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:35 PM

11. Hopefully, he will fully recover

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:25 PM

8. I believe we're going to have bi-annual booster shots for a while

Reply to this post

Response to Dem2 (Reply #8)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 10:05 PM

13. It may need to be more than bi-annual. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Dem2 (Reply #8)

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 02:13 AM

14. Most of the vaccines being developed are a 2 shot series

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 18, 2020, 02:20 AM

15. So does this mean immunity is very short-lived in people who've already had it?

I suspected that, I've been seeing a lot of things written about people getting re-infected.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread