HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » He went down the QAnon ra...

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:24 PM

He went down the QAnon rabbit hole for two years. Here's how he got out

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/tech/qanon-believer-how-he-got-out/index.html

"In View's opinion, confronting QAnon believers with facts isn't the best way to deradicalize them.
He said the best way to help believers is to remind them of their life before Q. Believers need to be encouraged to ask themselves "if this new life that they built for themselves is actually productive, if it's actually building towards something good or if it's just a waste of time and it's filling some kind of emotional void.""

I thought this was a valuable piece of information to share.

8 replies, 680 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply He went down the QAnon rabbit hole for two years. Here's how he got out (Original post)
Zing Zing Zingbah Saturday OP
iemitsu Saturday #1
underpants Saturday #2
Initech Saturday #3
procon Saturday #4
Zing Zing Zingbah Saturday #7
proud patriot Saturday #5
kurtcagle Saturday #6
Zing Zing Zingbah Saturday #8

Response to Zing Zing Zingbah (Original post)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:45 PM

1. Interesting and worth the read.

Thanks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 05:03 PM

2. 👀

Reading later

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 05:10 PM

3. Q Anon does not care about children, period.

They support a guy who locks them in cages. That should be the end of that argument.

I'm glad this guy saw the light and saw how crazy and insane this group is. Now to just deprogram them all!

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 05:13 PM

4. I dunno, if folks like this can be sucked into

craziness so easily, they'll just continue to latch onto the next hot mess they find on the internet. Who has the endurance to try to dissuade them from their pursuit of wacky fantasies, or convince them to seek treatment to their mental disorders?

Not me. All my kith and kin have been infected by the Trump Personality Cult, but long before that, they were lured into the fact free fun zone of Fox News. Prior to that, they were addicted to rightwing hate radio, check your withered brain at the door. It didn't start there, many of my relatives found obscure radio personalities that spouted paranormal stories, or purported to reveal govt secrets about our alien overlords, those shape shifting lizards in power. My brother believes everything, it's all credible tales in his demented mind.

Still, I'd be remiss in not mentioning the local militia groups that attracted paranoid rightwing gun nuts (yeah, my family has those too) who are convinced the guberment is coming just for them; reason unknown.

So the point is, there is a certain segment of the population who cannot handle reality, it's too much for them to process. To escape, they create or glom onto make believe fantasies that give them an alternative world that caters to all their hates, fears, biases with creative fictions that sooth their paranoid delusions. You can't stop them, they're ill and there is no cure.

Reply to this post

Response to procon (Reply #4)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 07:01 PM

7. I'm thinking someone close to them

a family member probably. I would think it would be a hold to deal with for anyone else.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 05:18 PM

5. Good Read

I'll try the empathy and understanding ....

we'll see

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 06:29 PM

6. This is how programming works.

* Find isolated populations, typically those who are already somewhat down on their luck and looking for someone to blame.
* Control the media, driving out alternative viewpoints.
* Start seeding in authority figures - business leaders, pas t or, politicians - people who are corruptible.
* Reinforce the message constantly.
* To the extent possible, control sexual politics.
* Push people to engage in criminal activity. They become more
susceptible to blackmail.

Programming is thought control. Its goal is to remove independence, introspection, and critical thinking. It can be done to anyone, and people who believe themselves immune can often be snared just as easily.

Reply to this post

Response to kurtcagle (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 07:04 PM

8. Yeah, The Vow on HBO

shows how people can get involved in cults without realizing it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread