HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Frozen food package pollu...

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 01:28 PM

Frozen food package polluted by living coronavirus could cause infection, China's CDC says

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-china-packaging/frozen-food-package-polluted-by-living-coronavirus-could-cause-infection-chinas-cdc-says-idINL4N2H806F

OCTOBER 17, 2020 10:53 AM UPDATED AN HOUR AGO

Frozen food package polluted by living coronavirus could cause infection, China's CDC says

By Reuters Staff

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinaís disease control authority said on Saturday that contact with frozen food packaging contaminated by living new coronavirus could cause infection.

The conclusion came as the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) detected and isolated living coronavirus on the outer packaging of frozen cod during efforts to trace the virus in an outbreak reported last week in the city of Qingdao, the agency said on its website.

The finding, a world first, suggests it is possible for the virus to be conveyed over long distances via frozen goods, it said.

Two dock workers in Qingdao who were initially diagnosed as asymptomatic infections in September brought the virus to a chest hospital during quarantine due to insufficient disinfection and protection, leading to another 12 infections linked to the hospital, authorities said last week.

[...]

9 replies, 694 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to sl8 (Original post)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 01:31 PM

1. So I guess putting my paper money into the freezer doesn't seem sufficient to kill the bugs.

But could have contaminated the fudgsicles.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Grasswire2 (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 02:21 PM

4. I read the entire article. There is a lot in it to digest. But at the end, they aren't certain

where the contamination began.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 01:44 PM

2. The lesson is wipe all groceries with disinfectant wipes and wash hands after touching money

Reply to this post

Response to Pisces (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 02:21 PM

3. Yep. Still wiping mine down every time, and washing all produce before putting it away.

It's not as likely that you get the virus from surface germs as opposed to aerosol exposure, but it's possible. Why take the chance? It isn't that time consuming after all and the peace of mind is so worth it.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 02:34 PM

5. I use a soapy water wash/rinse on produce, outer plastic film packaging

or clamshell plastic. I do use the disinfectant wipes on the harder cardboard packages and try to unpack mailed packages outside.
It is time consuming. But after stories like this, I feel safety is preferable to relaxing caution.

The meat industry is likely more optimal for viral transmission.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 02:37 PM

6. Thanks. Still wiping and spraying all my packages and groceries.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 02:48 PM

7. Somehow this does not strike me as an actual

source of getting the virus. In fact, the CDC essentially says the exact opposite:

However, the CDCís latest statement does not show solid proof that the two workers in Qingdao caught the virus from the packaging directly, rather than contracting the virus from somewhere else and then contaminating the food packaging they handled, said Jin Dong-Yan, a virology professor at the University of Hong Kong.

The CDC said no instance had been found of any consumer contracting the virus by having contact with frozen food and the risk of this happening remained very low.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 02:52 PM

8. I don't think they every figured out how virus got back to New Zealand after being eliminated there.

But some of those newly infected worked at a cold storage facility where they were getting packages from all over world.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 03:03 PM

9. There are still so many unknowns with COVID-19.

I'm still trying to reduce our risks by cleaning our products.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread