HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Czech Republic goes from ...

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 10:26 AM

Czech Republic goes from model Covid-19 response to brink of second lockdown

The current outbreak is a far cry from last spring, when the Czech Republic became one of the first countries to close its borders and impose a nationwide lockdown in response to the pandemic. Its regulations on face masks, which required coverings to be worn even outdoors for nearly two months, won widespread international praise as infection numbers remained modest compared with other countries.

The apparent success prompted the government of the prime minister, Andrej Babiš, to gradually ease restrictions before lifting them almost entirely in late June.

As the country returned to near normal, however, cases began to surge in August before soaring in September, drawing accusations of complacency from political opponents.

Babiš, who initially vetoed proposals to reimpose mask rules before backtracking, has sought to deflect blame partly onto a supposedly non-compliant public, which he said was less willing than before to follow the rules.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/11/czech-republic-goes-from-model-covid-19-response-to-brink-of-second-lockdown

3 replies, 287 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Czech Republic goes from model Covid-19 response to brink of second lockdown (Original post)
SunSeeker Saturday OP
smirkymonkey Saturday #1
SunSeeker Saturday #2
smirkymonkey Saturday #3

Response to SunSeeker (Original post)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 10:48 AM

1. K&R

It's sad to see these European countries having a surge again after doing so well in the beginning. But people are people everywhere and it's hard to get them to comply after such a long period of lockdown and adhering to protocol.

One thing I keep hearing over and over from people I know is that it is the "not knowing" when the end is coming or what the outcome will be that makes it so hard. A lot of people just kind of get this "fuck it" attitude after a while, probably as a reaction to the lack of control they feel. It's not logical, but it's understandable.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 10:53 AM

2. What's so sad is the abandonment of mask wearing, after Czechs pioneered it in Europe.

Mask wearing allows you to go on about your life safely. It is just insane to refuse to wear masks.

I suspect many in Czechia have fallen for right wing anti-science propaganda from the US and Putin.

Reply to this post

Response to SunSeeker (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 11:02 AM

3. I agree. There is a strong pro-right wing streak in a lot of those former communist

countries. I saw it when I was over in Prague visiting, even though I loved every minute of it, and I see it in former Eastern Bloc citizens who now live over here. They tend to associate liberal, democratic movements with the communism that they were oppressed by and react strongly against it, without really understanding the nuances. It's unfortunate.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread