HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump says the quiet part...

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:24 AM

Trump says the quiet part out loud: He's losing

Politico

He’s mused out loud about an embarrassing 2020 defeat. He’s acknowledged his severe deficit in key polls. And he’s made naked appeals to the critical voting blocs of suburban women and older adults — two demographics he has struggled to win over.

Just weeks from Election Day, President Donald Trump is saying the quiet part out loud about his own campaign. The president is crisscrossing the country with a packed schedule, flying to some states he won handily in 2016, to deliver a final pitch for a second term — and making no secret of his own shaky standing.

“Could you imagine if I lose?” Trump said Friday evening at a campaign rally in Macon, Ga. “My whole life, what am I going to do? I’m going to say, 'I lost to the worst candidate in the history of politics.' I’m not going to feel so good. Maybe I’ll have to leave the country. I don’t know.”

Part of the act is tactical, aides say. Trump thrives on being underestimated, and they point to how the president came from behind in 2016. National polls at the time showed Trump lagging against Hillary Clinton in the weeks leading up to the election, yet he continued his marathon of rallies and latched onto news about Clinton that helped him paint a picture of elites in Washington that boosted his campaign. A similar strategy is in play once more, with the president back on the road and focusing his attention on news about the Biden family’s business dealings alongside allegations of his own unfair treatment.

23 replies, 1234 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump says the quiet part out loud: He's losing (Original post)
brooklynite Oct 17 OP
soothsayer Oct 17 #1
dalton99a Oct 17 #7
Gothmog Oct 17 #2
Hugin Oct 17 #3
brooklynite Oct 17 #6
tavernier Oct 17 #9
ProfessorGAC Oct 17 #12
Codeine Oct 17 #13
Hugin Oct 17 #14
Codeine Oct 17 #15
Hugin Oct 17 #18
Codeine Oct 17 #19
ArizonaLib Oct 17 #20
C_U_L8R Oct 17 #4
ArizonaLib Oct 17 #21
GusBob Oct 17 #5
Newest Reality Oct 17 #8
brewens Oct 17 #10
Towlie Oct 17 #17
ArizonaLib Oct 17 #22
musclecar6 Oct 17 #11
gratuitous Oct 17 #16
Gothmog Monday #23

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:30 AM

1. One day, it's like a miracle, I'll just disappear. And maybe land in Moscow 13 hours later.

?s=21

Donald J. Drumpf
@RealDonalDrumpf
One day, it's like a miracle, I'll just disappear. And maybe land in Moscow 13 hours later.

Trump whines that he may lose 2020 election: ‘Maybe I’ll have to leave the country’
rawstory.com

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to soothsayer (Reply #1)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:45 AM

7. +1

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:36 AM

2. LOL

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:40 AM

3. He did not come from behind in 2016.

He handily lost the popular vote and was installed on a series of carefully calculated technicalities. Enabled by a malicious House and Senate.

Reply to this post

Response to Hugin (Reply #3)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:45 AM

6. Yes he did

The Electoral College is not "a series of carefully calculated technicalities"; it's the way we've elected people for 240 years. Every candidate knows that and should campaign accordingly. Trump was legitimately elected because he got people to vote for him -- for whatever rational or irrational reason -- in enough numbers in enough States.

Bottom line is that, in the last weeks, undecided voters broke heavily for him. That won't happen this time.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:54 AM

9. That's true.

But things have changed in 240 years and we should change along with them. 3 million people lost their votes in 2016 because of this antiquated system. Candidates should not need to do fancy dancing to please certain segments ... every vote should count equally.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 10:18 AM

12. Agreed

The undecideds appear to be easily under half of what they were in '16.
In fact, I've seen some polls showing only 3% not taking the binary choice and 2/3rds of them are 3rd party.
The undecideds might be as low as 20% of that in 2016.

Reply to this post

Response to Hugin (Reply #3)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 10:54 AM

13. What technicalities?

What popular vote? There is no “popular vote”, not in any meaningful fashion. It’s trivia, unrelated to any actual electoral procedure and as such people should stop worrying about it.

Reply to this post

Response to Codeine (Reply #13)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 11:09 AM

14. Then I suppose all of this...

GOTV crap is exactly that. Other than a few select elites I should tell all of the people I've revved up to vote to go on about their business of dying of COVID exactly like the Republicans want.

Reply to this post

Response to Hugin (Reply #14)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 11:19 AM

15. Wtf? GOTV has nothing to do with

popular vote totals, it has to do with winning states, just like Obama and Clinton did. You’re being ridiculous.

Reply to this post

Response to Codeine (Reply #15)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 11:52 AM

18. I would prefer to have a national popular vote winning President. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Hugin (Reply #18)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 12:02 PM

19. And you almost certainly shall.

But the fact that Trump didn’t is not “a series of technicalities” as you characterized. It’s the system by which every President attains their office.

Reply to this post

Response to Codeine (Reply #19)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 12:17 PM

20. The system changes regularly

Right wing AM radio didn't take shape until the late 70's, Fox News wasn't viable until the Bush administration, Citizen's united changed all politics and the castration of the voting rights act changed voting in many states, and this year voter's increased preference for mail in and early voting changed it once more. Those seeking highest office will now need to incorporate that too in their strategies.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:42 AM

4. He'll have to go somewhere

that doesn't have an extradition treaty (or trade interest for that matter) with us. There is no escaping justice, Donald.

Reply to this post

Response to C_U_L8R (Reply #4)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 12:22 PM

21. Having him leave this country without criminal charges to any other country

would be like packing our sewage into unmarked packages and sending them to private, unsuspecting citizens of other countries.

Most people who fantasize about going back in time to kill Hitler are going to start wishing they could go back in time to disable Trump's impact on history.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:44 AM

5. When Trump whines about fairness

Jesus Christ this pandemic is effecting every person in the country and none of it good

I'm setting here in lockdown, our third
3 quarantines
Curfews, checkpoints,work closures, loss of income

All due virus outbreaks. You know what? It's worth it if it saves one life

Love the Luntz quote ---you don't beg for votes, you earn them

For an authoritarian Trump sure whines like a little baby

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:46 AM

8. Welll,

After holding rallies and putting all his real effort into campaigning for four years, his malignant "power of positive thinking" for himself is really being challenged.

That's losing big time. How much more of a loser can you be? Taking America for a sucker might not be sustainable, even for the best con man. So, he even fails at that, now.

That leaving the country thing is just an abuser telling his willing victims he is going to leave them and trying to get sympathy for it as in, "What will you do without me, your Great Leader?" I bet that's what he was going for.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:20 AM

10. Let's have a national bake sale to give him AF-1 and a full tank of gas. He can take all of his

family and collaborators anywhere in the world that would allow him in.

Reply to this post

Response to brewens (Reply #10)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 11:33 AM

17. ... and he can also take a load of valuable classified information. Be careful what you wish for.

Reply to this post

Response to Towlie (Reply #17)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 12:27 PM

22. The shredders have already started, I am sure

On the note of presidential documents - God help the community where he decides to defile his presidential library. The most relevant place would be North Korea.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 09:55 AM

11. Yeah

The good news is all the polls have him losing at this point. The bad news is there’s still way too many deplorable‘s/all about their wallet cheapskates/morons who vote against their own self interest, that are still going to vote for this clown. We know what’s wrong with him, everything. The bigger question is what is wrong with people that still are going to vote for this awful leader. Along with all the spineless republican Congress people that have been aiding and abetting his despicable lunacy to this point, what is wrong with them ? We know they’re cowards but you would think there comes a point where they finally stand up and tell this guy to pack sand.I mean after all he’s been shitting in their face along with the rest of the country ever since he showed up on the scene.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 11:23 AM

16. There's a fine line to walk

Between being the plucky underdog incumbent ( that's not really a thing) and looking like a loser. Right now the stench is desperation mixed with loserdom, and the miniscule number of undecided voters isn't enough to overcome his poll deficits.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 19, 2020, 04:14 PM

23. LOL

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread