HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This election doesn't fee...

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 06:53 PM

This election doesn't feel as rough as predicted

I remember during the primaries that there were predictions for a lot of people that this election was going to be absolutely brutal. Like nothing we have ever seen before. Just the dirtiest, most batshit election we have ever experienced. While it's not quite over yet, am I the only one who thinks it hasn't been as bad as predicted? Sure, Trump is a rambling, racist moron who says a lot of crazy shit but I often find that to be more irritating than threatening. You could point out the deaths from coronavirus but that isn't because of the election. That is because trump is dangerously incompetent.

Maybe I'm numb to the chaos or maybe covid just tamped down a lot of the potential for craziness. Or perhaps we are all used to trump and his bag of tricks by now that he's easy to outflank and counter. And maybe it's because Biden is such an even tempered candidate that the dirty politics and chaos just haven't taken hold? Whatever the case, this election feels more odd and less like the most brutal, batshit election I've ever seen. Am I the only one who think that?

37 replies, 987 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 37 replies Author Time Post
Reply This election doesn't feel as rough as predicted (Original post)
Dr. Jack Oct 16 OP
iemitsu Oct 16 #1
Dr. Jack Oct 16 #3
Whyisthisreal Oct 16 #29
iemitsu Oct 16 #36
Bev54 Oct 16 #2
BannonsLiver Oct 16 #10
Bev54 Oct 16 #14
NCDem47 Oct 16 #4
Awsi Dooger Oct 16 #16
appalachiablue Oct 16 #35
magicarpet Oct 16 #28
sfstaxprep Oct 16 #5
unblock Oct 16 #12
BannonsLiver Oct 16 #6
moose65 Oct 16 #18
unblock Oct 16 #7
Dr. Jack Oct 16 #17
unblock Oct 16 #21
moose65 Oct 16 #22
unblock Oct 16 #27
stillcool Oct 16 #8
Jirel Oct 16 #9
blm Oct 16 #11
Awsi Dooger Oct 16 #13
Dr. Jack Oct 16 #25
Captain Zero Oct 16 #15
Awsi Dooger Oct 16 #19
Dr. Jack Oct 16 #23
murdock744 Oct 16 #20
maxsolomon Oct 16 #32
empedocles Oct 16 #24
0rganism Oct 16 #26
NightWatcher Oct 16 #30
maxsolomon Oct 16 #31
sweetloukillbot Oct 16 #34
maxsolomon Oct 19 #37
sweetloukillbot Oct 16 #33

Response to Dr. Jack (Original post)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 06:56 PM

1. Except for the anxiety.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to iemitsu (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:00 PM

3. I could see that

Although I might be one of the few people that really doesn't think Trump has any shot at winning. And keep in mind I did very much think he could win in 2016. I just think people never liked or trusted Trump. He was just seen as the lesser of 2 evils in 2016 by some which allowed him to stumble into his current position. But I think the majority of voters have been sick of him for years and just want him gone. And they are highly motivated to get that idiot out of office.

Reply to this post

Response to iemitsu (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 08:01 PM

29. I'm with you on that one

I find myself pretty nervous about the results. I think weíre gonna see some pretty crazy cover-ups and allegations. Itís already apparent that once they accuse you of something, there is no proving them wrong. You can be exonerated all you want, they wonít stop. Heíll still have two and a half months to be a lunatic if he needs. Iím not trying to be negative, but itís been years of this crap. It doesnít ever stop.

Reply to this post

Response to Whyisthisreal (Reply #29)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 09:37 PM

36. I feel the same.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 06:59 PM

2. I think you are numb to it

As a Canadian, I see this as a batshit crazy election.

Reply to this post

Response to Bev54 (Reply #2)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:04 PM

10. I bet you do

And I bet folks in Europe feel the same way. Even in normal times our system of 2-year general election campaigns and billions of dollars spent while the American media frames it as entertainment, is completely grotesque and warped.

Reply to this post

Response to BannonsLiver (Reply #10)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:07 PM

14. I definitely agree

Our two months of campaigning is about as much as I can take.

Reply to this post

4. I suspect the real fireworks will start Nov. 3

The theory is Trump has given up on campaigning for independents/undecideds and is putting his eggs in the suppression/litigation basket.

Reply to this post

Response to NCDem47 (Reply #4)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:09 PM

16. Unquestionably

He's no longer attempting to win the actual vote

There's a reason Bill Barr is silent in the background. He is gathering all the crap reports about mail balloting problems in preparation to file dozens of suits against one state after another. Don't kid yourself otherwise. The October surprise has turned into the November remedy.

Reply to this post

Response to Awsi Dooger (Reply #16)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 08:41 PM

35. The GOP is working away, don't be fooled people

Reply to this post

Response to NCDem47 (Reply #4)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:28 PM

28. These racists and Fascists live in a bubble and think they have 2020 in the bag.

As we get closer and closer to the election these Fascists may realize their goose is cooked. They may not come to that final realization until after election day. When the Fascists realize they have bern trounced and rutted their heads will finally explode,... expect their demented minds to act out in a freak out hyper macho way.

Stand back,... munch your popcorn from a safe distance,.. the fireworks could be breathtaking.

trDump awoke,.. encouraged,.. normalized,... offered safe haven to and support for a very nasty segment of AmeriKKKan society. They might not be readily in the mood to just relinquish their new perch, then just roll over and play dead. We shall see what it takes to put this monster back to bed, all tucked in and cozy,.. if that is even possible this late in the Fascist game.

We shall see how the demise of The Fourth Reich responds shortly.

Thank you donald for unleashing this monster on America.

Reply to this post

5. Had He Done The Right Thing, I'd Be Very Worried Now

But of course, he screwed up royally, and now his fate is sealed.

He put all the chips on Red, and it came up Black.

Reply to this post

Response to sfstaxprep (Reply #5)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:06 PM

12. This kind of crisis is a political gift for an incumbent

It's obviously a tragedy even if far fewer had died, but these kinds of crises are relatively simple things for politicians to handle, show "leadership", reassure us that we'll all get through this together, let the experts do what they are trained for and then take credit.

Simple, ever mayor knows that a hurricane or tornado is an opportunity to really make their image.

Except Donnie. He insisted on a can't-win strategy.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:01 PM

6. I think it's been bad but not as bad as I thought it would be

For me personally the time seems to have passed much more quickly than in 2016. But we still have a couple of weeks to go, so thereís bound to be more plot twists.

Reply to this post

Response to BannonsLiver (Reply #6)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:10 PM

18. Agreed

Because of the pandemic, we havenít had to endure Trumpís crazy rallies. Also, I just think people are sick of him. The things he says just donít resonate any more. His base canít love him any more than they already do, but that wonít win him any more votes. The rest of us are just so sick of him that we canít wait till itís over!

That being said, it seems like no other ďscandalsĒ with other candidates are sticking. Maybe the press is just waiting for Trump to suck all the oxygen out of the room, as he is bound to do. By making this election all about him, thereís no room for anything else!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:01 PM

7. Indeed. Donnie's deep into reruns and his shtick don't play like it used to

Moreover, he pissed away (and/or embezzled) a ton of money early on and now that he's becoming recognized as the loser he is, Republican politicians and donors are finally treating him as toxic, even if they're rarely saying it in public. But his money situation is painful, especially for a Republican incumbent.

And it doesn't help that the economy sucks and there's a pandemic going on that he's handling horribly. Not merely terrible policy, but terrible politics. Shrug, "it is what it is" for Americans dying? How lousy a politician (never mind human being) do you have to be to not even be able to express some sympathy?

Reply to this post

Response to unblock (Reply #7)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:10 PM

17. They do seem to be trying to recreate 2016

The Hunter Biden nonsense is a more or less a shot for shot remake of the Comey letter, although far more poorly executed. Think about the similarities: less than 3 weeks from the election, a laptop supposedly from someone close to the democratic nominee running against Trump is found to have hundreds of allegedly incriminating emails. Also Rudy Giuliani is involved for some reason. It very much feels like a Plan C or Plans D for an October Surprise. Durham didn't pan out. Barr's unmasking probe found nothing. Johnson's Senate report was a bust. Might as well try "but her emails!" 2.0

Reply to this post

Response to Dr. Jack (Reply #17)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:13 PM

21. Yup, the real problem is they didn't sepnd 25 years prepping for a comey letter against Biden.

the way they smeared Hillary for ages.

Reply to this post

Response to unblock (Reply #7)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:13 PM

22. We almost forget about that

Trump has been campaigning ever since he was sworn in, practically. And raising and pissing away all that money, too. In 2017, people didnít give a shit about the 2020 election, so all his campaigning was a complete waste. Of course, he was busy shoveling campaign money into his own hotels and golf courses, so he was happy!

Just wait - he will try to keep any campaign cash that he has left, after the election.

Reply to this post

Response to moose65 (Reply #22)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:24 PM

27. Leftover cash? This is donnie. The campaign will be left with nothing but debts and lawsuits.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:02 PM

8. it's freaking uncomfortable...all this calm

18 days is an eternity.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:03 PM

9. You're just numb and hopeful.

This is brutal, and it will get worse the closer to 11/3 we get. We absolutely can not let up sfor a moment. It will require a landslide to count as a small but clear margin.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:04 PM

11. I think the revelations about Trump's mocking of veterans and the tapes

Woodward released where he said COVID-19 was going to be FAR worse than he would he share with the public, mattered more to average voter than media realized. It also quieted down a lot of the average Republican voters.

Melaniaís ďwho gives a fuck about Christmas stuffĒ sure didnít help, either.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:07 PM

13. Nothing sticks to Biden

That's the key variable. In Florida we experienced the opposite in 2018 when the GOP attacked Gillum from all angles and it was obvious plenty of it was working...until election night when it was just like Hillary because the damage was worse than feared.

I realize nobody wants to hear this, but nominating a white male remains the best way to maintain teflon and therefore margin for error. I'll never forget that Naples golf shuttle bus last November when all the seniors alongside me were agreeing they could support a Democrat above Trump...but only if it were Biden or Bloomberg.

Reply to this post

Response to Awsi Dooger (Reply #13)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:19 PM

25. I agree

It sucks but some people in this country still have problems with a non-white or woman being a politician or a leader. Remember, the civil rights movement wasn't that long ago. There are still a lot of people around who grew up when segregation was still legal. Not saying very many people want to go back to that but there are still a lot of antiquated ideas in people's heads, even if they don't realize it.

We have only had one non white president and he is extremely charismatic and likable. Even then be didnt win by all that much in either election.

Fair or not, having a white guy as the head of the ticket is still a plus for being "electable".

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:08 PM

15. I'm not sure we see the damage that their lawless voter suppression tactics reap until ...

Maybe the day of election or after

But if they do voter suppression as he badly as he has screwed up everything else, even that won't bring him close.

Reply to this post

Response to Captain Zero (Reply #15)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:12 PM

19. Great point

They have suppression tactics that won't be obvious until election day and much later

Reply to this post

Response to Captain Zero (Reply #15)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:15 PM

23. Nate Silver pointed out the other day

That the voter suppression/cheating attempts by Republicans this year are the same old things they have been doing for decades. And they aren't even really doing it to a greater degree than usual. They are just more blatant about it. And I think that goes to your point where their attempts are probably going to fail because they are so bad at it.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:12 PM

20. Several factors

Most notably that Biden is absolutely the best candidate the Democratic party has run in a generation uniting the nation moreso than I have ever seen coupled with the fact that Trumpism has been abysmal failure.

Joe Biden may very well be the greatest leader the world has seen in generations. I am fully expecting a complete landslide victory for Biden as well as super majorities in both houses of congress. 2021 is going to be a brand new world that we all wake up into

Reply to this post

Response to murdock744 (Reply #20)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 08:15 PM

32. slow that roll, murdock744

I appreciate the enthusiasm for Biden, but... have you talked to a woman under 30 lately?

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:17 PM

24. traitortrump in addition to his psychological pathologies,

faces a real prison threat - unless he creates enough crazed chaos - and that might not be enough

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:20 PM

26. we still have 3 weeks to go, and that's only the "first wave"

lots of chicken-counting going on in these parts lately

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 08:04 PM

30. Only because the past 4 years were pure hell. Now we're sprinting for the fire exits

A few panicked weeks and we'll be through this.

Normal might be around the corner.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 08:13 PM

31. Covid cut Trump's feet out from under him.

He was planning on crowing about the economy non-stop. Sorry, fate intervened.

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #31)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 08:33 PM

34. I'm not sure we'd be in the same place, polling-wise, had the pandemic not happened. nt

Reply to this post

Response to sweetloukillbot (Reply #34)

Mon Oct 19, 2020, 11:44 AM

37. We would not.

It's given everyone but the most diehards some perspective.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 08:32 PM

33. It has been the craziest, most batshit I can remember.

It's just that it isn't working so far.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread