HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » He's 32. He's Joe Biden's...

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:20 PM

He's 32. He's Joe Biden's Press Secretary. And He Has Stage 4 Cancer.

Washingtonian

Everybody on the Biden campaign remembers the day that TJ Ducklo got back on the trail. It was the day before the Democratic primary debate in Iowa last January, just as reports were surfacing about people in Wuhan, China, falling ill with a mysterious pneumonia—essentially, a political lifetime ago. Ducklo was in Des Moines, embracing fellow staffers and chatting up reporters who hadn’t seen him in weeks. He looked good, everyone agreed. A little thin. But good.

Ducklo is the national press secretary and a top spokesperson for Joe Biden. If Biden becomes the 46th President, there’s a decent chance Ducklo will figure in the White House press shop, occupying one of the most powerful perches in Washington. Thirty-two years old and trim, he wears tortoiseshell glasses and is partial to blazers with dress shirts, no tie. If you ran into him at happy hour, he’d blend right into the sea of young media operatives populating the city, a disciplined press aide who aims never to become the story himself. But for one significant difference: A month before the Iowa debate, Ducklo was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. By the time doctors discovered it, the disease had spread to his liver, his gallbladder, and his bones.

It was unfathomable news for someone who’d never smoked a cigarette in his life, let alone an ambitious young operative at the center of what felt like the most consequential national election in a generation. The day that Ducklo’s boss, Biden communications director Kate Bedingfield, broke the news to the staff, aides broke down crying in the campaign’s headquarters. “Even people who weren’t close to him were really rocked by it,” says Matt Hill, one of Ducklo’s deputies.

Ducklo had to step away from his job for a time while he started treatment. Now, walking into the spin room in Iowa, he was pumped to be back in the action. What few people realized, though, was that Ducklo feared this might be his last appearance on the campaign trail. In a week’s time, he would return to the hospital for a CT scan, the first look at whether the cancer was responding to treatment or still spreading. You wouldn’t have known it, watching him work the reporters after the debate wrapped, but the anticipation was consuming him. “I was an anxious mess,” he says.

48 replies, 7901 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 48 replies Author Time Post
Reply He's 32. He's Joe Biden's Press Secretary. And He Has Stage 4 Cancer. (Original post)
brooklynite Oct 16 OP
niyad Oct 16 #1
elleng Oct 16 #2
lagomorph777 Oct 16 #22
LuckyLib Oct 16 #29
certainot Oct 17 #48
Beaverhausen Oct 16 #3
BootinUp Oct 16 #4
LizBeth Oct 16 #5
CatMor Oct 16 #6
Wounded Bear Oct 16 #7
SWBTATTReg Oct 16 #8
llashram Oct 16 #23
SWBTATTReg Oct 16 #25
MFGsunny Oct 17 #46
Lucinda Oct 16 #9
crickets Oct 16 #10
Upthevibe Oct 16 #11
Ilsa Oct 16 #12
musclecar6 Oct 16 #13
ancianita Oct 16 #14
Gothmog Oct 16 #15
roamer65 Oct 16 #16
greblach Oct 17 #44
Niagara Oct 16 #17
iluvtennis Oct 16 #18
KS Toronado Oct 16 #19
Duppers Oct 16 #28
KS Toronado Oct 16 #31
Duppers Oct 16 #34
KS Toronado Oct 16 #36
renate Oct 16 #32
Layzeebeaver Oct 16 #20
DFW Oct 16 #21
OnDoutside Oct 16 #35
DFW Oct 16 #37
OnDoutside Oct 16 #38
gademocrat7 Oct 16 #24
Hamlette Oct 16 #26
appalachiablue Oct 16 #27
Kind of Blue Oct 16 #30
Blue Owl Oct 16 #33
usaf-vet Oct 16 #39
KT2000 Oct 17 #40
greblach Oct 17 #45
smirkymonkey Oct 17 #41
yellowdogintexas Oct 17 #42
Lifelong Protester Oct 17 #43
oasis Oct 17 #47

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:25 PM

1. . . .

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:28 PM

2. *Some ten months after his diagnosis, Ducklo feels pretty good.

The medication has proven effective, the side effects manageable. But every two months, he has to go in for his regular CT scan, which tells him whether the treatment is still working. “It’s all on the line. And my own—I’m not saying that my own health is more or less important, but I don’t want to live in a world where Donald Trump’s the President for four more years. Like, even healthy or not healthy, I don’t want that to be where I live. I don’t want that to be where my family and my friends have to live,” he says. “So it’s just—I guess the mortality of it all, and thinking about things in that way, just underscores how important this is. And it makes me feel like I’m in the right place doing the right thing at this moment.”'

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:30 PM

22. I get what he's saying.

I frequently contemplate my own mortality, since 2016. But goddamn that monster, I am not leaving this planet before he leaves office. After that, I will re-evaluate.

Reply to this post

Response to lagomorph777 (Reply #22)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 02:40 PM

29. My 97 year old mother says the same thing. Hang in there, Mom.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 12:06 PM

48. i'll bet he'll never have access to the high end treatments limbaugh has access to

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:28 PM

3. Fuck cancer

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:29 PM

4. didnt know about this. great story. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:32 PM

5. So young, putting in the work to create a life and to be here fighting cancer so sad.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:33 PM

6. The greatest gift to him will be the Biden win.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:36 PM

7. K & R...nt

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:39 PM

8. Wow. My admiration and respect goes out to this young gentleman. May his treatments be a success

and that he gets to work w/ Mr. Biden more in the future.

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #8)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:53 PM

23. as a cancer survivor

who has had to go through this, I applaud the courage of this young gentleman and just like him I will keep fighting. I voted this week and wow, I felt great after dropping it off at my township office and knowing I am a part of something great happening in this country. True patriots mobilizing against the monster in the WH, his grifter family and the Hitlerian brownshirts trying to intimidate true Americans.

Reply to this post

Response to llashram (Reply #23)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 02:02 PM

25. Good for you! Keep on 'trucking' and make us all proud! It's especially a good feeling...

when you are able to participate in the long established and valued tradition of voting, a time honored badge of being a proud American.

I abhor those who try to stifle and suppress our long established right to vote. It's that precious to all of us. To some it more than that.

Take care and be safe!

Reply to this post

Response to llashram (Reply #23)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 08:18 AM

46. This! yes, still here myself & voted in person first day of early voting! n/t n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:42 PM

9. ❤️ ✿❧🌿❧✿ ❤️

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:44 PM

10. Little by little, the treatments for cancer improve.

I am so glad to hear that he's doing well and working again, and it sounds like Ducklo has gotten back to living life and making a difference for us all by helping get Joe elected. Good for him!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:47 PM

11. ...........

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:48 PM

12. Lordy, I hope he gets through this.

Stay strong, have faith.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:53 PM

13. The poor

Bastard. Bad enough to wind up with that shit when you’re old let alone when you’re young and you’ve got everything going for you. Well all we can do is say our prayers and hope for the best for the guy.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:57 PM

14. Hoping he beats it.

Thanks for your post.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:59 PM

15. TJ Ducklo is my prayers

He is an amazing person

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:00 PM

16. Fukushima Dai'ichi.

All that radioactive Strontium and Cesium. 10 years later and the site is still leaking.

Long term exposure is what causes the most cancers.

I hope TJ recovers fully.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #16)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 07:43 AM

44. Release it

And they are planning to release waste water from the plants to the ocean...locals and fishermen are not happy...

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:02 PM

17. Here's hoping that Mr. Ducklo beats this terrible disease.

Stay strong and sending healing vibes.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:02 PM

18. Wow, my heart goes out to TJ. Sending good vibes and prayers that he continues to respond

to the treatments.

Hang in there TJ for you'll be in the West Wing in January 2021.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:17 PM

19. An over the counter medicine for dogs that has cured cancer when doctors had given up.

My life changed forever when cancer took over my body.

The purpose of this blog is to tell the story of how, so far, I've managed to kick a deadly cancer's butt.

https://www.mycancerstory.rocks/

Please share this with everyone you know fighting this deadly disease, it's fairly inexpensive and every little
bit helps.

Reply to this post

Response to KS Toronado (Reply #19)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 02:35 PM

28. Wow! Most interesting. Another link...

Diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, Joe was told he had about 3 months to live. A veterinarian friend of his in western Oklahoma called him and told him about a cancer research experiment he had learned about in which a dog-deworming medicine had cured cancer in the experimental mice… and when the researcher developed cancer, she used the same medicine on herself and her glioblastoma was gone in about 12 weeks.

With nothing to lose and everything to gain, Joe ordered the veterinary product, Fenbendazole, and began taking it. He added a few other things to his regimen such as curcumin and Vitamin E, now known as the “Joe Tippens Protocol”. Three and a half months later, he went in for a scan and he was totally clear.

https://lifeboat.com/blog/2019/12/how-joe-tippens-beat-terminal-cancer-with-7-dog-medicine-interviewed-by-james-templeton

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #28)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 02:58 PM

31. Wow is correct.

Big money interests are doing everything they can to discredit this cure, it's cutting into their profits.
Not saying it cures everyone who tries it, but it has cured/helped some people. If it cured every cancer
in everyone, I assume it would be all over TV news.

Reply to this post

Response to KS Toronado (Reply #31)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 03:25 PM

34. What would a terminal cancer patient have to lose?

Thanks for posting this info! 🙏

Bookmarked & emailed the thread to myself. As they say, one never knows.

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #34)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 04:14 PM

36. They wouldn't have a thing to lose.

Had some business cards made up that said "Fighting Cancer?" with their website. Any time I heard the
word cancer used around me, I'd hand them 3 cards just to get the word out.

Reply to this post

Response to KS Toronado (Reply #19)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 03:02 PM

32. is this your blog? It's fascinating!

I just did a quick little search on PubMed and it looks like (as you already know, of course) there's really something there. I'll be doing some more reading this afternoon. I don't know anybody with cancer right now but unfortunately it's inevitable, so I'm excited about learning more. Thank you!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:22 PM

20. This young man is a true inspiration

The future he is working to build, and his dreams that inspire it, are what America thirsts for.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:29 PM

21. My family and I have lost many to cancer

My father, aunts and uncles, a cousin, my wife's brother, friends, and my mom had it, although a stroke killed her before she could find out if she was going to beat the cancer or not.

But then there's my wife. She had breast cancer 19 years ago. Then four years ago, she was diagnosed with a deadly cancer that is so often fatal that the doctors in her clinic call it "the murderer." But she was that one in ten thousand who was lucky to have it discovered in its earliest stages. She had a massive operation so that anything near it was removed, and the surgeon was so amazed by her recovery that he said she was the first time EVER that he thought no chemo would be necessary. So far no trace of a recurrence, although we both know that could change overnight.

It's ALWAYS a horrible diagnosis, but there are always SOME that beat the odds, and so you HAVE to approach it with a "why NOT me?" attitude.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #21)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 04:07 PM

35. Fantastic !

Reply to this post

Response to OnDoutside (Reply #35)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 04:17 PM

37. Of the three people in this photo from last week

She is the only one who has had cancer, let alone twice, and she looks 20 years younger than she is (she is 68):

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #37)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 07:21 PM

38. She's looking great, best wishes !

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:55 PM

24. Praying for TJ

What an inspirational young man.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 02:14 PM

26. great article, thanks for posting, my favorite bits:

Because of his high-profile position in the campaign, Ducklo’s cancer has become well known in the world of political media, and he’s often asked about his health. Before a recent interview with a TV station in North Carolina, the reporter, whom he’d never met before, asked how he was feeling. “It’s not something I love to talk about,” Ducklo says, “but it means a lot when people ask.”

“It’s all on the line. And my own—I’m not saying that my own health is more or less important, but I don’t want to live in a world where Donald Trump’s the President for four more years. Like, even healthy or not healthy, I don’t want that to be where I live. I don’t want that to be where my family and my friends have to live,” he says. “So it’s just—I guess the mortality of it all, and thinking about things in that way, just underscores how important this is. And it makes me feel like I’m in the right place doing the right thing at this moment.”

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 02:18 PM

27. All the best to a very talented young man during this time.

TJ's interesting background- Nashville, TN native, GW grad., worked for the Carvilles and other media projects.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/12/tj-ducklo-joe-biden-press-secretary/

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 02:51 PM

30. Thanks for posting about this remarkable young man.

Praying so hard that he beats the hell out of this disease.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 03:21 PM

33. And I bet Joe is taking great care of him as an employer

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 10:08 PM

39. I'm am NOT a doctor. I have some medical training as a military medic. With a BS in biology.

During this Covid-19, I have been sharing medical research papers with several doctors who are personal friends.

I don't want to overplay the feelings about the direction of the Covid-19 research. But I think it is safe to say that the Covid-19 virus research may, in the future, lead to medical treatments that TARGET specific cancer cells without damaging surrounding tissues, organs, and systems. And could lead to cancer treatments that will someday outdate systemic chemotherapy.

One thing I left out in my bio. I am a recent cancer patient/survivor. Still having regular diagnostic tests to watch for signs of a recurrence. Three years out, post-treatment. Testing well!

Best wishes TJ for beating your cancer.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 12:21 AM

40. Lung cancer has other culprits

than cigarettes. Certain chemicals used in combination in the household can cause lung cancer as does radon gas. And more. Honesty should dictate that all causes of lung cancer be addressed, not just smoking. Changes need to occur in other areas, not just smoking.

Reply to this post

Response to KT2000 (Reply #40)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 07:53 AM

45. Correct

Radon, a naturally occurring radioactive gas is considered the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer in the US... some areas have more than others...

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/features/protect-home-radon/index.html

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 12:32 AM

41. I wish this brave young man all the best. I hope he beats this.

I know it's a long shot, but we are used to those odds and winning. May the force be with you, Mr. Ducklo. Sending good vibes.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 01:15 AM

42. I lost a dear friend to stage 4 lung cancer - she survived 6 years after treatment

MD Anderson in Houston is one of the best in the world

She also was never a smoker.

Her sister and mother died of the same type of cancer.

I am beginning to wonder if there was excessive Radon in the house they lived in.

Wishing the very best to this brave young man

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 01:19 AM

43. I will wish him luck

I have hopes that he will beat this and we will see more of him!

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 11:11 AM

47. Many thanks and good wishes for Ducklo.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread