HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Wave of 'Nutcracker' canc...

Tue Oct 13, 2020, 10:30 AM

Wave of 'Nutcracker' cancellations hits dance companies hard

Wave of ‘Nutcracker’ cancellations hits dance companies hard

https://nypost.com/2020/10/12/wave-of-nutcracker-cancellations-hits-dance-companies-hard/

COLUMBUS, Ohio — For many, it’s not Christmas without the dance of Clara, Uncle Drosselmeyer, the Sugar Plum Fairy, the Mouse King and, of course, the Nutcracker Prince.

But this year the coronavirus pandemic has canceled performances of “The Nutcracker” around the U.S. and Canada, eliminating a major and reliable source of revenue for dance companies already reeling financially following the essential shutdown of their industry.

“This is an incredibly devastating situation for the arts and in particular for organizations like ours that rely on ticket sales from the Nutcracker to fund so many of our initiatives,” said Sue Porter, executive director of BalletMet in Columbus, Ohio.

“The Nutcracker” typically provides about $1.4 million of the company’s $2 million in annual ticket sales, against a $7 million budget. That money goes to school programming and financial aid for dance class students, Porter said. It’s the first year since 1977 that the company isn’t staging the ballet in Ohio’s capital.

The cancellations have meant layoffs, furloughs and salary cuts, with companies relying heavily— sometimes exclusively — on fundraising to stay afloat. Beyond their financial importance, “Nutcracker” performances are also a crucial marketing tool for dance companies, company directors say.

7 replies, 423 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wave of 'Nutcracker' cancellations hits dance companies hard (Original post)
Demovictory9 Tuesday OP
Aristus Tuesday #1
Tanuki Tuesday #4
betsuni Wednesday #6
themaguffin Tuesday #2
Demovictory9 Wednesday #5
Blue Owl Tuesday #3
TeamPooka Wednesday #7

Response to Demovictory9 (Original post)

Tue Oct 13, 2020, 10:42 AM

1. "The Nutcracker" is how most dance companies across the nation make their bank for the year.

Season ticket holders, like me, keep the lights on, but it's the once-a-year "Nutcracker" fans that give ballet companies their big boost.

Pacific Northwest Ballet, for which I hold season tickets, cancelled their season due to COVID-19. But we donated our season ticket fee in order to help keep them going.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Aristus (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 13, 2020, 12:29 PM

4. Our local symphony (Nashville) also partners with the local ballet company

to perform the music during Nutcracker season. The symphony had to cancel its entire performance season and furlough the musicians. We have an outstanding symphony and ballet company here, which is something people don't necessarily associate with Nashville. I hope they can make it through to the other side of this. The pandemic is just absolutely killing the arts communities everywhere.

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 14, 2020, 03:18 AM

6. I'm still upset that PNB abandoned the Maurice Sendak/Stowell Nutcracker.

It was unique to Seattle, incredibly beautiful sets and costumes by Sendak, the story following the darker original German "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King." Stowell's choreography was knock-off Balanchine, but still -- the production was wonderful.

Now it's just like anywhere else. I understand that the old Balanchine version has more children in it, it's for little kids: more relatives' asses in the seats, very important. I prefer "Where the Wild Things Are" Nutcracker.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 13, 2020, 10:45 AM

2. My wife works for a ballet. It's been tough.

Reply to this post

Response to themaguffin (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 14, 2020, 02:36 AM

5. I imagine. Hope things improve..somehow

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 13, 2020, 12:18 PM

3. Thanks Donald

n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 14, 2020, 04:23 AM

7. Broadway is shut down. Of course these productions are not going forward this year

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread