HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » New to democratic undergr...

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 03:55 PM

New to democratic underground

What feels like quite some time ago, I was a conservative trump supporter. I didnít vote for him, and I was never really opposed to Obama. I simply thought, back when the economy was on the up, that he was able to continue the economic growth, which very obviously started during Obamaís administration. The difference now, I never have been a fan of Fox News. I simply held more conservative values. However, being enlightened by trump coming out as a hateful bigot, and his supporters even more so, I soon realized that trump and his supporters have no concern for anybodyís well being. Not even their own. They are willing to throw their own bodies into a fireplace if they think it will benefit the billionaires. I have to deal with trump supporters all day of every day. I work on a farm. When pressed about wealth inequality, and the billionaires taking advantage of Americans, they respond with, ďwhat would we do without them?Ē I am appalled at that thought. What would we do without a blind support for unregulated capitalism? Where would we be if Corporate America were held accountable for their affect on society, and the world? How would other nations view us, and how powerful could we be, if the whole nation simply worked together, for the good and well being of all of our citizens, and spread that idea across the world? I find myself now a firm supporter of Biden, because he cares about everybody. He wants what I want. Itís just been fascinating watching the right become the biggest snowflakes of the country, especially since they loved to throw it out at everybody else. All the Karenís for trump; treasonous, court packing republicans; conspiracy theory driving, racist extremists have one thing in common, I believe. My roommate and I have been calling them smooth-brains. See, the koala bear has a strictly poisonous diet. Theyíll only eat a certain type of eucalyptus leave, which is highly toxic, and provides the animal with almost no energy, causing them to sleep 20 hours a day. They have plenty of other options, but fighting evolution to be able to eat that one leaf seems to be the idea. We believe it may be a trait of having a smooth, wrinkle free brain, as the koala bears do. Iím not sure why they have pledged their souls to the filthy rich, perhaps itís because they think they will achieve the same thing.

70 replies, 3262 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 70 replies Author Time Post
Reply New to democratic underground (Original post)
Whyisthisreal Oct 11 OP
ProudMNDemocrat Oct 11 #1
Crunchy Frog Oct 11 #2
spicysista Oct 11 #3
PJMcK Oct 11 #4
KT2000 Oct 11 #5
NRaleighLiberal Oct 11 #6
CaliforniaPeggy Oct 11 #7
Whyisthisreal Oct 11 #10
CaliforniaPeggy Oct 11 #12
Greybnk48 Oct 11 #8
Wawannabe Oct 11 #54
Newest Reality Oct 11 #9
Karadeniz Oct 11 #11
Walleye Oct 11 #33
jrthin Oct 11 #13
Javaman Oct 11 #14
MustLoveBeagles Oct 11 #15
handmade34 Oct 11 #16
Niagara Oct 11 #17
overleft Oct 11 #18
11 Bravo Oct 11 #19
MyNameIsKhan Oct 11 #20
octoberlib Oct 11 #21
Whyisthisreal Oct 11 #25
Whyisthisreal Oct 11 #22
cwydro Oct 11 #23
Whyisthisreal Oct 11 #28
Blue_true Oct 11 #31
Whyisthisreal Oct 11 #32
Blue_true Oct 11 #48
Whyisthisreal Oct 11 #49
Blue_true Oct 11 #59
Whyisthisreal Oct 11 #51
Blue_true Oct 11 #61
elleng Oct 11 #24
Whyisthisreal Oct 11 #29
elleng Oct 11 #34
Blue_true Oct 11 #35
SophieJean Oct 11 #57
Blue_true Oct 11 #67
alwaysinasnit Oct 11 #26
TheBlackAdder Oct 11 #27
Blue_true Oct 11 #30
SheltieLover Oct 11 #36
judesedit Oct 11 #37
Enoki33 Oct 11 #38
ZZenith Oct 11 #39
dawg Oct 11 #40
AllaN01Bear Oct 11 #41
Kablooie Oct 11 #42
Hip2bSquare Oct 11 #43
Pepsidog Oct 11 #44
gopiscrap Oct 11 #45
Lady Freedom Returns Oct 11 #46
pnwmom Oct 11 #47
eggplant Oct 11 #50
Glaisne Oct 11 #52
amb123 Oct 11 #53
kairos12 Oct 11 #55
SaveOurDemocracy Oct 11 #56
Dan Oct 11 #58
ancianita Oct 11 #60
usaf-vet Oct 11 #62
CountAllVotes Oct 11 #63
GentryDixon Oct 11 #64
SergeStorms Oct 11 #65
gademocrat7 Oct 11 #66
GulfCoast66 Oct 11 #68
mercuryblues Oct 11 #69
electric_blue68 Oct 11 #70

Response to Whyisthisreal (Original post)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 03:59 PM

1. Welcome Why....

You are amongst friends.

We can be rude and crude sometimes, but we back up our comments with the facts.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:01 PM

2. Hello and welcome.

I agree with everything you posted apart from your assessment of koalas.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:03 PM

3. Welcome to DU, Whyisthisreal!

Glad to have you! There are some very strong opinions here. However, everyone is usually respectful.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:04 PM

4. Greetings

Thanks for your story. Youíve taken an interesting path.

Keep posting!

And vote for Democrats.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:06 PM

5. Welcome!

Well said! Republicans have told us for years that the wealthy supply the jobs. People believe it. Trickle down, which has been proven to be false is still used as a successful campaign teaser for the less well off.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:08 PM

6. welcome. we do find ourselves in interesting times.

Reply to this post

7. Welcome to DU, Whyisthisreal!

Your post is well written.

One thing, though: It's a bit hard to read this dense text. You might consider writing your next OP with some breaks here and there.

Just my thought!

Reply to this post

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Reply #7)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:11 PM

10. Will do

Sorry if it came cross like that. Been writing that post in between doing a few things this morning. Will definitely give it more of my focus next time.

Reply to this post

Response to Whyisthisreal (Reply #10)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:13 PM

12. Thanks for your quick response!

It's OK; I was able to read it and enjoy it. It just would have been a little more enjoyable if it had been broken up a bit.

Reply to this post

8. Welcome to DU! It's a hard time to navigate the world right now.

I feel you're heading in a healthy direction.

Reply to this post

Response to Greybnk48 (Reply #8)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:53 PM

54. May add ditto?

This is well said, friend.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:11 PM

9. Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard! Good to have you here.

Maybe you could consider using paragraphs when possible because it is more readable and clear.

Good points though. I think you will like it here.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:13 PM

11. Several knowledgeable writers now say the GOP is not a political party anymore. Noam Chomsky said

It years ago. Beginning with Newt, they quit working within a system that demands compromise. They obstructed and refused to obey the most basic rules of politics. Obama had a healthy majority, but the GOP skipped his inauguration to plot an obstructionist stand to thwart the Democratic agenda. No respect for majority rule. No respect for the Americans who wanted that agenda. Their quest for power on behalf of their money backers turns us into an oligarchy or plutocracy. Trump's trampling on the rule of law and the constitution puts us halfway to full-blown fascism.

I'm glad you saw the light and found a soft place to land...DU!

Reply to this post

Response to Karadeniz (Reply #11)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:09 PM

33. When told that most Americans were against the war, Dick Cheney said "so?"

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:15 PM

13. Welcome! You are among friends.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:22 PM

14. Welcome to DU. You are among like minded souls

Cheers! 👍🙂

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:22 PM

15. Welcome to DU

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:24 PM

16. ...

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:26 PM

17. Welcome to DU, Whyisthisreal.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:29 PM

18. Welcome to DU, an open and enlightened forum.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:30 PM

19. Excellent post. Welcome aboard!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:35 PM

20. Welcome

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:36 PM

21. Hello and welcome, Whyisthisreal!

I know farmers are suffering because of Trump's tariffs. I bet quite a few are still supporting him, regardless. They'll be treated a lot better when Biden is elected.

Reply to this post

Response to octoberlib (Reply #21)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:45 PM

25. I have first hand experience of that

They definitely are. The weather this year has not been kind to them, either. The industry is not looking healthy. The farm I work on is also into custom harvesting, so I see a lot of the states harvests. Here in The plains, is not doing so hot.

At the beginning of this year for instance, we had a record amount of corn planted. We will be ending the year, likely, with a record low harvest. Thanks to that, and all the profit margins being eaten by the guys at the top, thereís a lot of folks in financial trouble.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:38 PM

22. Thank you, everybody!

I have been watching this site for a while. I wanted to make sure Iíd found the right place, and my right place before I pick a side. I absolutely love the daily toons! Iíll be sure to make my next post written better.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:39 PM

23. Did you vote for Hillary?

You say you didnít vote for trump, but thought heíd be the best to keep the economy going?

Were you aware of his record as a businessman?

Reply to this post

Response to cwydro (Reply #23)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:50 PM

28. No, I didn't vote for Hilary.

Sadly, I didnít vote. I will be voting for Biden, for sure though. What I was saying was, maybe for a moment he may be proving himself capable of successfully managing the economy. But he only proved himself incompetent in the long run. I also realized that just because the economy is doing good, doesnít mean the people are being treated fairly.

Reply to this post

Response to Whyisthisreal (Reply #28)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:03 PM

31. Trump has never been successful at any thing other than self promotion and borrowing large

amounts of money. President Obama handed him an economy that had been pulled out of a pit (2008 meltdown) and was running forward. Trump progressively wiped out the economyís forward momentum. Our trade deficit with China is the highest that it has ever been and because China has beaten the Coronavirus somewhat, that deficit is only going to get larger in Chinaís favor. We really, really need stable leadership now, Joe Biden is the bridge to the future that provides that stable and competent leadership.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #31)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:07 PM

32. We sure have a lot of hard work ahead of us.

How are we ever going to work with this new cult?

Reply to this post

Response to Whyisthisreal (Reply #32)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:30 PM

48. There are more of us. Also, some people that still support Trump aren't

impossible to work with on some issues. What we need is a President who follows science and communicates the need for people to take actions that will help the country get out of the mess that we are in.

I was out shopping today and passed a woman who was leaving as I got out of my vehicle. Both of us had on masks worn properly in the parking lot, she had been in the store with her. We nodded appreciation that both of us were wearing masks properly. By coincidence, she was right at her car as I approached moving toward the store. Her car had a Trump sticker on the bumper. Now that situation may sound depressing, but in the tiny action of that woman relative to the mask, I saw a glimmer of hope that people like her will do what is right to defeat the Coronavirus once we have a competent President. Maybe she convinces her SO and friends to properly wear masks, at least for a little while when not around people of their household - at least that would be my hope once we have a president who isnít determined to throw gasoline on a burning flame, for whatever his reason.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #48)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:32 PM

49. I have noticed a lot of silence from trump supporters on some of his recent crap.

And that I feel can be interpreted as an early sign of abandonment.

Reply to this post

Response to Whyisthisreal (Reply #49)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:13 PM

59. Or at least that they are uncomfortable with his recent behavior.

Whether that means they will do the right thing is another issue. I am an optimist on human nature, not a blind optimist, more of an analytical one. Unless people are packed full of hate or are far gone mentally, they will typically do the right thing when push comes to shove and they have had the reasons calmly explained to them, I count on that as the wrench that we can use to pull ourselves out of the mess we are in once Joe gets elected, our task now is to insure that he does by voting and encouraging family and like minded friends to vote for Joe. I believe that if we get the primary objective done, some of the dark clouds that we see now will start to clear.

I remember sitting in an airport after President Clinton started his first term. I had been in airports during the Bush I years, but that situation felt different, there were more people taking flights. I felt that things were turning around with the economy and that feeling proved to be right.
I remember in 2009, having taken a long lunch break, watching President Obama speak after he had taken his first Oath of Office. I remember wondering how the country could possibly get out of the situation that it was in. Because I started work later as a salaried person, as I got out of bed, I could hear auto traffic of people that rose for work early, restaurant workers and owners, building and construction trades, ect. That traffic had ground to a stop in 2008 and was that way as President Obama took office. I had seen only about three other bad recessions that I remember, the Oil Embargo recession of the early and mid-70s, the recession during the second year of President Reaganís first term and the recession of 1990-1992. But 2008 was a totally different beast, it looked like all economic underpinnings had been gutted. But I remember as 2009 went into the Fall, I started to hear the early auto and truck traffic again, and like when I sat in that airport in 1993, it seemed like something good was happening, and in fact it was.

Maybe this time is different once Joe is in office. But I donít believe so, what we need is sane, competent leadership. China, with all itís problems appears to have beaten SARS-COV-2, South Korea is doing well, as is Japan. What we need is a leader who will seek to learn what was done in those places, but we know what was done, virus testing, contact tracing, near universal mask wearing and social distancing until the virus was reduced to a level where it is near burnout (inability to infect readily available hosts) - so what we need is a leader who focuses us solidly on what is known to have worked, not a person who turns Americans against each other and ridicules proper conduct like wearing of masks around non household people, following proper hand washing practices, ect.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #48)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:37 PM

51. We gotta get rid of the clown though.

That much is undeniable. But those in his stubborn base arenít going anywhere. They will continue to try and thwart Bidenís efforts, as they did with Obama. Somehow we have got to get these people to believe that a cumulative effort is the only way a society, a country, and the world works.

Reply to this post

Response to Whyisthisreal (Reply #51)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:25 PM

61. In many ways, Joe Biden would be the most down home President that we have had

since Jimmy Carter (Biden is similar to LBJ more, IMO). I really feel deep in my bones that he will get enough Trump supporters to cooperate, even grudgingly. What we need to do is get Joe elected and remove the top republican leadership from office in this same election, we have that unique opportunity this year to do that. If Mitch McConnell is sitting at home wondering how he lost, then he wonít be arrogantly saying that his mission is to make Joe Biden a one term President. We get rid of the obstruction by removing the leading Congressional obstructionists from office, along with Trump.

Democracy has never been neat. I assure you that we are in a bare knuckles fight with Trump supporters now, we canít back down, the countryís future depends upon us winning.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:42 PM

24. I don't see how 'conservative values' has anything to do with trump,

and much to do with republicans.

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #24)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:52 PM

29. I didn't either

Thatís why Iím here, now. The right has changed, and itís ugly.

Reply to this post

Response to Whyisthisreal (Reply #29)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:11 PM

34. Welcome

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #24)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:15 PM

35. It seems that the poster is more of a Charlie Baker, Larry Hogan, Stuart Stevens type of

conservative. I disagree rather soundly with what he or she once believed and may still believe, but I view the type of conservative that he or she is as someone that I can sit down with and have a rational debate with, that is not the case with todayís republicans wit large.

I deal with conservatives almost daily, some are very decent people outside of their conservatism, in such cases I deal with the person and hope that I leave an impression that causes them to re-evaluate some of their long held, but wrong (in my view) beliefs. I know one thing, I welcome all allies as we face down the problematic behaviors that underpin Trumpism.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #35)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:08 PM

57. They're not "decent people,"

if they're racists, which obviously the majority of Repugs have always been-For decades.

Reply to this post

Response to SophieJean (Reply #57)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:46 PM

67. I know some of those people personally. They are not racists.

At the most, they go mute in the face of racism from their family and friends. When I challenge them, I see that they KNOW right from wrong, it is just they wake up listening to AM radio and go to bed watching Fox News, they seldom get their worldview challenged calmly - now, if I challenged those same people in the heated environment of street gatherings, the likely outcome would be exchange of blows. We have to be determined and patient and pull back whatever of those people that we can - if they get to the point where they tell like minded family and friends that our path forward is maybe right, I view that as a small sign of progress.

Reply to this post

26. Welcome Whyisthisreal! Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Reply to this post

27. Welcome to the Party!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:57 PM

30. You appear to be a thinking person, that is poison to Trumpism.

Trump hasnít been successful in his business ventures, the only thing that he has proven good at is borrowing money.

As the old saying goes, if a poor man owes the bank $500, the bank owns him. If a multi-millionaire owes the bank $2 million dollars, he or she owns the bank. Trump took out audacious loans, when they went bad, banks had a choice, bail him out with more money or foreclose and get back a fraction of what they had loaned him at foreclosure sales.

The Apprentice made-up reality show made Trump out to be a financial dynamo and that is all most Americans knew about him. Hidden was how Trump had stiffed family, contractors and employees and used lawsuits and non disclosure agreements to silence them.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:19 PM

36. Welcome to DU, Why!

Glad you found your way here.

We are a big tent & I'm sure you will enjoy discussions here.

I commend your astute independent thought process & look forward to getting to know you.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:24 PM

37. Welcome. So glad you're here. You're amongst some mighty fine people

Reply to this post

38. Welcome. I came here for political sanity and found it. Cheers.

Reply to this post

39. Glad to have you here, Whyisthisreal.

Please share more of your thoughts as time allows.

Reply to this post

40. Welcome. I admire a person who can change their mind.

Although I do think Trump did a pretty good job of showing us who he was before the 2016 election, even I didn't expect he would be this bad. To be honest, at one point I was relieved he was going to be the nominee instead of Ted Cruz, thinking that Trump would try to move to the center once he had the nomination. Boy was I wrong.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:25 PM

41. hihwodi.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:25 PM

42. I find Democrats can have a wide spectrum of views.

They don't walk lockstep together like Republicans.
Some are more liberal, some are more conservative but they are all working towards what they hope will be a better society for everyone.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:28 PM

43. What a brilliant analogy

I think if you sat us all down in a room, we'd have more in common than not. We have so much to learn and to give as a nation, but we certainly have let the smooth brains control the narrative for far too long.

Welcome from Colorado...we have work to do.. hopefully in a few weeks these dark clouds will begin to lift!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:28 PM

44. Great post. I like the Koala info.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:29 PM

45. welcome to DU

Reply to this post

46. Salutations!

Reply to this post

47. People like you give me hope. So thank you for sharing this, Whyisthisreal! n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:33 PM

50. Welcome!

Glad to have you here.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:40 PM

52. Welcome aboard!

Enjoy!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:49 PM

53. You don't know how correct you are.

"...most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich, than face the reality of being poor. And that is why they will follow us to the Right, ever to the Right, never to the Left, forever to the Right ..."

ďSocialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.Ē - John Steinbeck

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:57 PM

55. Welcome Whyisthisreal!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:59 PM

56. Welcome, Whyisthisreal.

Thank you for your experience and insights.

I like the koala/smooth brain analogy.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:10 PM

58. Yep, welcome to DU

And as you will discover, we have a wide spectrum of views... One could say it is like herding cats.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:15 PM

60. Welcome, Whyisthisreal.

Glad for your story, that you support Biden, and I hope you've registered to vote as a Democrat. That's the best way to support Democrats.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:26 PM

62. Welcome aboard!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:27 PM

63. Welcome to the Democratic Underground Whyisthisreal!!!

Nice to see you and what a great post!

Hope to see you around more!

Take care!!!

& recommend !!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:28 PM

64. Welcome. 💞

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:29 PM

65. Great observation about the "smooth brain"...

Maybe there's something to that! There's certainly something that makes them the way they are.

Welcome to Democratic Underground. It's wonderful to have you here.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:30 PM

66. Welcome aboard!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 07:02 PM

68. Welcome. There are more ex-conservatives and ex-republicans than most think.

In my 30ís I was a secular conservative. In my 50ís Iím now a social democrat.

Admitting you were wrong is tough to do but is a sign of an active intellect. It took traveling to other countries to open my eyes.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 07:33 PM

69. welcome here

just a few words of advice. Don't be surprised when some people aren't receptive here of your mea culpa or trust you. Trump promised to run the country like one of his businesses, he did. Right straight into the ground. Just like all of his bankruptcies.

They have loved ones living in fear for various reason, LBGT, Covid, income loss, retirement loss, kicked out of the USA because they have been denied citizenship or permanent residency, white supremacy, rights over their own body, healthcare, and so on. All of this was very apparent during his campaign and his personal history.

But you know, Obama made them suffer and Clinton is a female.

Just to stick it to the libruls.

When the disabled elderly refused to die for the economy, trump promised he would take away their Social Security and Medicare, if they vote for 4 more years.

Glad you aren't falling into that trap.

My FIL is dying and we can't even go see him, in fear of getting Covid and giving it to him hastening his life.

They didn't stick it to me, but I hate them with every fiber of my being. I will dance on their graves. It is what it is. I don't care, do U?

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 10:56 PM

70. Welcome Why...

Glad you started to ponder certain differences.

I've only been here about 2+ months myself. As a liberal
I was looking for an extra place to talk politics. Interesting, smart, fun people here. I'm enjoying myself, along with bouts of righteous anger, and spates of worry. The DU Lounge has things to lift up your spirits, and make laugh for emotional balance. Along with other dedicated groups.

Stay safe from cv19, and while doing your farm work.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread