HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Well, my vote may well no...

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:03 PM

Well, my vote may well not wont be counted, and here is why...States MATCH SIGNATURES

I am in a state that does signature matching.

I have terrible handwriting, I can NEVER sign my name the same twice unless I am purposely signing by almost printing my name which I almost never do.

A handwriting expert could immediately tell it was mine no matter how different it looks because that is what they do, but poll workers wont be able to tell that easily.

I wonder how many times my vote hasnt counted now?

BEWARE about this...

while looking for a list of which states do this, I came upon THIS NIGHTMARE

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/vopp-table-14-how-states-verify-voted-absentee.aspx

Look at how HARD it is to vote in RED STATES or some of them...

POINT of this thread is BEWARE to make sure your signature is the same as when you registered!

36 replies, 1629 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 36 replies Author Time Post
Reply Well, my vote may well not wont be counted, and here is why...States MATCH SIGNATURES (Original post)
Eliot Rosewater Oct 2020 OP
Drunken Irishman Oct 2020 #1
LisaL Oct 2020 #2
Eliot Rosewater Oct 2020 #3
Doreen Oct 2020 #4
Chili Oct 2020 #5
LizBeth Oct 2020 #9
Chili Oct 2020 #12
Ms. Toad Oct 2020 #6
Rice4VP Oct 2020 #7
LizBeth Oct 2020 #8
oregonjen Oct 2020 #10
Awsi Dooger Oct 2020 #11
Wellstone ruled Oct 2020 #13
safeinOhio Oct 2020 #14
Eliot Rosewater Oct 2020 #17
notinkansas Oct 2020 #15
GenX_Dem Oct 2020 #16
Meowmee Oct 2020 #18
cwydro Oct 2020 #19
Blue_true Oct 2020 #20
Eliot Rosewater Oct 2020 #24
Blue_true Oct 2020 #25
Eliot Rosewater Oct 2020 #27
Blue_true Oct 2020 #28
Eliot Rosewater Oct 2020 #29
mcar Oct 2020 #21
bluecollar2 Oct 2020 #22
CentralMass Oct 2020 #23
LizBeth Oct 2020 #26
Eliot Rosewater Oct 2020 #34
CentralMass Oct 2020 #35
JPK Oct 2020 #30
Hoyt Oct 2020 #31
Retrograde Oct 2020 #32
brooklynite Oct 2020 #33
Hassin Bin Sober Oct 2020 #36

Response to Eliot Rosewater (Original post)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:05 PM

1. Unless your signature is so crazy off, I wouldn't worry about it.

My signature has changed multiple times, including the one they would have had for my license, and my ballot has never been rejected (I live in Utah - where they verify your signature with what they have on record).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:07 PM

2. You should know if your ballot is counted or not.

Doesn't your state have ballot tracking?

Reply to this post

Response to LisaL (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:07 PM

3. Doing that this time, have not done it in the past.

I will be dropping it off at ballot box Monday.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:08 PM

4. My blind friends might be tossed.

Maybe being in Washington state that won't happen but I have heard things about it.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:10 PM

5. I thought I would have the same problem

Sometimes I sign my full name, sometimes my two initials then last name. I've signed ballots both ways over the years. For the primaries, I couldn't remember which way I had signed. So I called and asked, expressing my fear. Nice lady told me when they're in doubt, they go back years for signatures if they can. For me they've got 40 years to look at - I registered in 1980! My ballot app was accepted and approved, so I'll make sure to sign it that same way.

Maybe your state can check yours the same way?

Reply to this post

Response to Chili (Reply #5)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:15 PM

9. Mine helped me register while I was on the phone. Very NICE. I am going to call and ask her. Thanks

Reply to this post

Response to LizBeth (Reply #9)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:24 PM

12. most welcome

And good luck!

I never even thought about it, until this election. Now I will sign it the same way, no matter what.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:11 PM

6. Check with your county and find out how to verify that your ballot was not only received,

but accepted for counting.

(If you've been voting absentee and haven't been doing this in the past you've been neglecting your duty - so now's your chance to et it right!)

My signature looks absolutely nothing like my signature from 1989, when I registered to vote. No handwriting expert in the world would attest that my current signature was written by the same person as it was on my voter registration card. I've been called on it when I am absent-minded at the polling place and use today's signature - then I have to resign to convince them it is really me.

It's no big deal - as long as you follow up.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:13 PM

7. So why didn't you just vote in person

if you have this issue? What signature is it supposed to match? Your license?

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:13 PM

8. I hear you. I have to signatures. Almost all are lazy signatures with capital first letter then line

But on official papers I try to sign clearly where the name can be read. I do not remember which signature I used on the comparison form.

I am afraid I did my lazy signature on the compare sheet. And last election I did a clear signature. Now, they are slanted the same and fist letter in both name the same.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:15 PM

10. They say to sign your ballot like your driver's license. That way, you won't forget

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:19 PM

11. I have been challenged on signature twice

Both during early voting. Once in Nevada and once in Florida. The Nevada example I understood because it was on touch screen. My signature looks markedly different on touch screen than on paper.

I really had to take my time and do it slowly, when I was asked to sign again. One of the problems was I am left handed and I remember they had the touch screen set up for righties. There was nothing blocking the right side of the screen but there was a shelf or something limiting access from the left.

They accepted my signature grudgingly on the second attempt. That was in 2004, if I remember correctly. I got a sense of how asinine the requirements are. It's like the older poll workers were going out of their way to pretend they had to make decisions, instead of merely taking your name and pointing the way.

The second example was in Florida, maybe 2014. Again it was an older woman. I was in disbelief. My signature looked perfect. She called a supervisor to take a look. He accepted it immediately, and then gave me a rolled-eye look to indicate the woman had been problems throughout on the same matter.

My advice on mail ballots is to sign the envelope first. Make that the immediate priority, not the ballot itself. As the OP indicates, the signature is where they'll try to throw you out. Be slow and careful with the signature. Also, from my experience it is easier to sign the envelope while flat and before the ballot is inside, even if the instructions are the other way around.

Besides, if you sign first there's no way you'll forget to include the ballot. It is possible to include the ballot but forget the signature.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:24 PM

13. Here in Nevada,

the Signature Line is one inch from the bottom of the secure envelope. We checked our envelopes as to signature location before loading the ballots as well how legible our signatures would be.

Suggest signing the Security Envelope before stuffing in the ballots. Nevada did not make the signature line Left Handed friendly that is for sure.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:26 PM

14. Like me, you suffer from dysgraphia.

You are not sloppy or lazy, you have a disability.

Reply to this post

Response to safeinOhio (Reply #14)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:29 PM

17. could be

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:27 PM

15. In Illinois

the only time election judges are allowed to ask for ID is if the signature can't be verified. In person voting, obviously. Then the name and address on the registration is compared to the ID - usually a driver's license. If those match, the signature doesn't matter. I only had to do that once. It was with a 'signature scribbler'.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:28 PM

16. Please get this fixed somehow, we need every vote.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:31 PM

18. You can probably still vote in person

Only one is counted in our county if you do both. If there is not a long line, get a kn95, goggles that fit, globes and do that if you are worried. Track it as others have said then you can see if it was received and counted.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:34 PM

19. Oh my.

Please take the good advice given you in this thread.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:34 PM

20. My signature floats around and I am sure that it does not look 100% like it

did when I registered. But I have done two mailin ballots back to back and both have been accepted.

One thing that I noticed about my signature is that the shape at the beginning and end never changes, even as other stuff in my signature floats wildly about. What I believe is the match looks for features that are the same in time, and then match those, it looks like it gives my signature replication a high enough score that my ballot gets accepted. Florida uses a matching algorithm.

My suggestion to people? Donít worry about what your signature will look like. Find a flat and hard writing surface, stay calm and relaxed and just sign the document. That seems to work for me.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #20)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:56 PM

24. Any advice on how to get rid of a Democratic party hater who pretends otherwise who

stalks me on the internet? Not on this board, of course...

But you know, OUT THERE....it gets tiring, I am spending ALL my effort trying to save the human race along with everyone else

Reply to this post

Response to Eliot Rosewater (Reply #24)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:00 PM

25. Maybe telling the person that you know that he or she is stalking you, that it doesn't

matter and to go screw themselves.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #25)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:01 PM

27. Wont work, I NEVER respond to them on these boards I am referring to and that

is one of the main reasons they do it...drives em nuts

Reply to this post

Response to Eliot Rosewater (Reply #27)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:03 PM

28. Maybe you should try confronting the person, at least on the boards. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #28)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:03 PM

29. Nah, that is what they want, never gonna happen...

THey spend their time fucking with me, not trying to win elections and so on, really sad.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:36 PM

21. Track your ballot

Hopefully, you are in a state that allows for curing if there is a discrepancy. If you are dropping it off at the SoE, they should be able to compare your signature.

I dropped our ballots off at our SoE last Friday. I'm able to track them as they are received and processed. No problems.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:43 PM

22. In my county

If there's a question about the signature they'll send you an affidavit to fill out. I'm in Miami-Dade co. In Florida.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 07:48 PM

23. I have a similar problem with my handwriting Eliot. My ballots get

accepted in Oregon where we also have signature matches. There must be enough similarity between what I sign and what is on record.

Reply to this post

Response to CentralMass (Reply #23)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:00 PM

26. You are in the same state. I only voted once here. Here is a post from above. What do you think?

I have two signatures. Almost all are lazy signatures with capital first letter then line

But on official papers I try to sign clearly where the name can be read. I do not remember which signature I used on the comparison form.

I am afraid I did my lazy signature on the compare sheet. And last primary election I did a clear signature. Now, they are slanted the same and fist letter in both name the same.

Reply to this post

Response to CentralMass (Reply #23)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:54 PM

34. Good to hear and grateful you're not mocking me for worrying about this

Good to hear and grateful youíre not mocking me for worrying about this.

And understanding that I am writing about myself and countless others who might run into the same problem, but again thanks for not mocking me.

This is a sincere post.

Reply to this post

Response to Eliot Rosewater (Reply #34)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 09:12 PM

35. I understand. I have little trust these days myself.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:08 PM

30. This is the 21st century

With all the electronic wizardry available we use human signature verification by someone not even trained in signature verification to offer a subjective analysis of someone's hand writing for vote validation. Really? And the reds complained about hanging chads.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:18 PM

31. Have at least a dozen scribbles for my signature. Have even signed "F$#k You"

on some legal documents. Not worried, but will check on-line to ensure ballot accepted. Dropped if off today.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:34 PM

32. A competent board of elections

or whatever they call it in your location, understands that and uses modern methods of signature analysis, like do the signatures have the same characteristics, are formed the same way, etc. I last registered to vote in 1986, and have been voting primarily by mail since the late 1990s. My signature has certainly changed in detail, but the way I make capital letters and how I end my names has been largely consistent. I track my ballot, and it's always been accepted. And if for some reason it isn't, I have the option of demanding a provisional ballot on election day.

Bottom line: know the rules for your state and follow them to the letter.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 08:40 PM

33. New York does signature match; they've never questioned mine...

Too many people seem to look for endless things to worry about

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 09:31 PM

36. This is why I vote in person.

Two of my neighbors said their ballots didnít count last time. And thatís in a blue city/state.

A couple years ago I had my signature challenged. To make matters worse I didnít have ID on me. I was about to make a stink and the Republican judge just rolled her eyes and waived me through. I think she was just a ďRepublicanĒ for the day.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread