HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » James Murdoch says he lef...

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 01:38 PM

James Murdoch says he left family business because Murdoch news "legitimize disinformation", ''sow d

MURDOCH WORLD NEWS: James Murdoch confides in @maureendowd
about why he "pulled the rip cord" and left the family business, says Murdoch news properties "legitimize disinformation", ''sow doubt" & "obscure fact" in his most candid interview to date (1/3)

In article, @maureendowd reports that James and his sisters Elisabeth and Prudence have aligned and could outvote Lachlan on family trust and seize control of news assets from brother Lachlan when "Rupert, 89, finally leaves the stage."

James's partner @KathrynAMurdoch
tells @maureendowd
: “I think that what’s important about what we’re doing is that we’re in control of ourselves...It’s very hard to be held accountable for things that other people do or are in control of. And I think that’s what was untenable.”

James Murdoch, Rebellious Scion

Increasingly uncomfortable with News Corp’s politics and profit motives, Rupert’s younger son chose chickens and sheep over Fox, and insists he doesn’t watch ‘Succession.’

... snip

Friends say that James has been on a collision course with his family for 15 years. His evolution has been profoundly influenced by his wife, a former communications executive. He is, as one friend puts it, “living much more in his own skin, realizing his better angels and his better instincts.”

But when your last name is Murdoch and those billions sloshing around in your bank account come from a juggernaut co-opting governments across the English-speaking world and perpetuating climate-change denial, nativism and Sean Hannity, can you ever start fresh? As a beneficiary of his family’s trust, James is still reaping profits from Rupert Murdoch’s assets. Can he be the anti-venom?

And is the great game of Murdoch succession truly over? Murdoch watchers across media say James is aligned with his sister Elisabeth and his half sister, Prudence, even as he is estranged from his father and brother.

When Rupert, 89, finally leaves the stage and his elder children take over, that could make three votes in the family trust against one. Is there still time to de-Foxify Fox News — labeled a “hate-for-profit racket” by Elizabeth Warren — and other conservative News Corp outlets? Would Fox and its kin — downscale, feral creatures conjured by Rupert to help the bottom line — be the huge moneymakers they are if they went straight?

More: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/10/style/james-murdoch-maureen-dowd.html?smid=tw-share

Interesting article. I really didn't know which paragraphs to snip from it.

Edited to add:
Please see the 2 quotes in post #2. The are quite interesting.

3 replies, 702 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply James Murdoch says he left family business because Murdoch news "legitimize disinformation", ''sow d (Original post)
MelissaB Oct 10 OP
brush Oct 10 #1
MelissaB Oct 10 #2
BComplex Oct 10 #3

Response to MelissaB (Original post)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 01:45 PM

1. Thanks for posting. It's good to know there's trouble in paradise at FOX...

and things will likely change for the better as senior Murdoch won't be around much longer.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 01:52 PM

2. Mid article quote and end of artricle quote:

Their foundation, Quadrivium, has supported voter participation, democracy reform and climate change projects. “I never thought that we would actually be at the point where we would have climate change effects and people would still be denying it,” Ms. Murdoch said.

Mr. Murdoch donated to Pete Buttigieg in the primary, and the couple has given $1.23 million to Joe Biden. So that’s who he’ll be voting for in November then? “Hell yes,” he said with a smile.

Wendi Deng dated Vladimir Putin.

You can’t ask me those questions.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 02:02 PM

3. Please, Dear God! Let fox propaganda fail, once and for all.

That would go a long way toward putting this country back together.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread