HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I've run a concert series...

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 08:35 AM

I've run a concert series for twelve years. Our concerts never got cancelled due to the flu.

Last edited Tue Oct 6, 2020, 09:15 AM - Edit history (1)

Now our entire concert year is cancelled. Non essential workers were never told to stay at home because of the flu. Schools never shifted to remote learning due to the flu. No stores even urged, let alone required, patrons to wear masks over flu concerns. No restaurants ever turned away diners, once they reached one fourth capacity, in order to control the flu.

Recently I renewed my driver's license in person (because I needed a new photo taken). I had to schedule an appointment one month in advance - in order to limit the number of people inside the Motor Vehicle Bureau at any one time. They never did that for the flu. Beaches never closed because of the flu, bars never shut down for the flu, people never held remote funerals on account of the flu.

All of that and more occurs in the United States now due to Covid-19. And still 210,000 Americans are dead because of it. And still Trump compares Covid-19 to the flu. In an average year the flu kills maybe 50,000 Americans. Covid-19 has more than quadrupled that already, and we are just now building toward it's second major wave. Think of what would have happened if Americans treated Covid-19 like the flu. If, as Trump had urged, all our churches opened wide on Easter and packed their pews with worshipers. Trump personally sponsored rallies with thousands in attendance. What would have happened had every concert venue in America gone ahead with their shows, and had all of our Professional and College sports teams sold tickets to each fan who wanted to attend every game they played?

Would we now be looking at 210,000 deaths had Americans gone on with their lives as if we were just dealing with the flu, or would a million or more of us already be dead? Tens, maybe hundreds of thousands (if not more) Americans are plagued by lingering symptoms of Covid-19, sometimes quite severe, months after they supposedly have recovered from Covid-19. Nothing on that scale has ever happened from the flu.

But Americans, despite Trump's reassurances, seem to fear Covid-19. So perhaps we'll be deprived of a chance to see how good life might be if we chose to "dominate" it instead.

5 replies, 404 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply I've run a concert series for twelve years. Our concerts never got cancelled due to the flu. (Original post)
Tom Rinaldo Oct 6 OP
Laelth Oct 6 #1
Tom Rinaldo Oct 6 #2
FakeNoose Oct 6 #3
Tom Rinaldo Oct 6 #4
FakeNoose Oct 6 #5

Response to Tom Rinaldo (Original post)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 09:14 AM

1. Well said. k&r n/t

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Laelth (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 09:46 AM

2. Thank you. I've so had it with Trump comparing Covid-19 to the Flu! n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Tom Rinaldo (Original post)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 09:51 AM

3. When Chump croaks, they'll finally get it

In any case, we're worse off than most third world countries. It's because of his amazingly stupid, short-sighted policies, of course.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #3)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 09:57 AM

4. Trump could save tens of thousands of lives or more....

...if he dies from Covid-19. That is simply a fact, it's not editorializing. Especially if it happened soon. It would scare millions of hard core Trump supporters into taking precautions that they would otherwise resist. And that would save lives. Period.

Reply to this post

Response to Tom Rinaldo (Reply #4)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 10:00 AM

5. Totally agreed

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread