HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Missouri House candidate ...

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:11 PM

Missouri House candidate faces sexual and physical abuse allegations from 4 of his children

I guess this story is too old (more than 12 hours) for LBN, but I think it's important, so I'm putting it here. Sorry for the confusion.

Source: Daily Kos

Rick Roeber, a Republican candidate for the 34th District Missouri House of Representatives, is dealing with allegations from decades ago that he physically abused three of his four children. The allegations were uncovered and reported on by The Kansas City Star on Tuesday, and they are distressing. Roeber is running to replace his wife, who died suddenly while still holding the seat in 2019.

According to the Star, two of Roeber’s now-adult children went on record with the paper. Anastasia Roeber alleges that Roeber sexually molested her when she was 9 years old in 1990. Her brother Samson says that while he was not molested by Roeber, Roeber had “always been physically abusive” when they were growing up. A third sibling told the paper that she was aware of the alleged abuse at the time, and a fourth unnamed sibling also claimed “sexual maltreatment” from Roeber. That last allegation was reportedly investigated by the state of Missouri in 2001.

Roeber made a name for himself locally in the aughts as “Barefoot Rick,” an early adopter of the barefoot running movement, which he combined with a born-again story Christianity story. Roeber claims in his biography to have been an on again off again Christian whose “waywardness” included serious issues of addiction. He reportedly was able to have finally “recommitted his life to Christ” in March 1992 when he put the "plug in the jug.”

Roeber’s “waywardness” seems to have included a lot of abusive behavior, according to his kids. His son Samson told The Star: “He beat the s--t out of us all the time.” Gabrielle, the daughter who says she was aware of the abuse claims but was not abused herself, says she is estranged from her siblings because they partly blamed her for the abuse. Roeber “used me, I guess, as his little stooge. I would tell him little things that happened at my mother’s house, and he would use that to punish the boys. … My brothers hate me.” Gabrielle says that her father was “out of control” at that time in his life.

Read more: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/9/29/1981692/-Missouri-House-candidate-faces-sexual-and-physical-abuse-allegations-from-4-of-his-children?detail=emaildkre

"He beat the s--t out of us all the time." And he wants to represent other people. Ugh.

10 replies, 630 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Missouri House candidate faces sexual and physical abuse allegations from 4 of his children (Original post)
kag Oct 1 OP
tblue37 Oct 1 #1
Grins Oct 1 #2
Cracklin Charlie Oct 1 #4
Grins Oct 2 #9
I_UndergroundPanther Oct 1 #3
malaise Oct 1 #5
Cracklin Charlie Oct 1 #7
malaise Oct 1 #8
lpbk2713 Oct 1 #6
gulliver Oct 2 #10

Response to kag (Original post)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:19 PM

1. The family values party.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:28 PM

2. Two things....

As soon as I read “barefoot running moment” and “Christianity story” I knew something would really stink.
He’s running for the seat his wife had when she suddenly died. But that also means Missourians elected the MOTHER who HAD TO KNOW AND PERHAPS CONDONE that treatment of her children.

Reply to this post

Response to Grins (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:35 PM

4. Not sure if I want to read this story...

But, any idea how the wife “suddenly” died?

Reply to this post

Response to Cracklin Charlie (Reply #4)

Fri Oct 2, 2020, 01:05 PM

9. No, I don't. It was in the last sentence of 1st paragraph.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 03:50 PM

3. Republicans are the psychopath party

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:38 PM

5. And his wife died suddenly?

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #5)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:44 PM

7. On vacation.

Cause of death unknown.
She was 61.

Reply to this post

Response to Cracklin Charlie (Reply #7)

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:55 PM

8. Call the Coroner?

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 1, 2020, 04:38 PM

6. That's bound to be a plus on his resume.

The (R) voters ought to really go for that.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 2, 2020, 01:09 PM

10. If you've done something wrong, become a Republican politician.

All of the other Republican politicians will protect you, even pardon you, regardless of the evidence.

That fact means that the Republican Party is probably rife with lowlife.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread