HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Asian Americans' politica...

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 09:24 AM

Asian Americans' political preferences have flipped from red to blue

September 14, 2020 9.18am EDT

John A. Tures
Professor of Political Science, LaGrange College

Asian Americans used to be a reliable Republican voting bloc. But long before Kamala Harris, who is Indian American and Black, became Joe Bidenís running mate, they shifted to support the Democratic Party. This is true across ages, genders and ethnic origins of Asian Americans Ė including Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and Hmong.

As a political scientist, Iím not just interested in voting, but also in how groups change their party preferences. This subject of study, known as ďcritical elections,Ē looks at how political party fortunes change over time as a result of racial, religious or regional groupsí changing views.

snip

Almost all Asian groups now back Democrats

Itís true that Asian Americans are not necessarily a homogeneous group. Some have wondered if those with ties to countries that experienced communist rule might be more supportive of the Republican Party, which has historically strongly opposed communism.

Research by Catalina Huamei Huang delves into these details, using data from the National Asian American Survey.

snip

https://theconversation.com/asian-americans-political-preferences-have-flipped-from-red-to-blue-145577

6 replies, 515 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Asian Americans' political preferences have flipped from red to blue (Original post)
catbyte Sep 15 OP
hlthe2b Sep 15 #1
luvs2sing Sep 15 #2
JI7 Sep 15 #3
Claustrum Sep 15 #4
muntrv Sep 15 #5
moondust Sep 15 #6

Response to catbyte (Original post)

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 09:28 AM

1. Ironic that there is not a more dramatic & similar change among ALL Latino groups

Trump hasn't (in my albeit shortened memory) gone after Asians, but he sure as hell has with Hispanics. I should think Latinos overall would have polling similar to African Americans, despite the historical R-favoring Cuban-Americans.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 09:35 AM

2. When my Filipino neighbor moved in nine years ago..

she was republican, but Iím not sure how much of that was her and how much was her husband. I think she was an internet bride. She wasnít a citizen yet, so it was a moot point, but she definitely talked republican talking points. Her husband died in 2014, and she took her oath in 2017. She is now a proud Democrat and, even though her English is sometimes hard to understand, itís clear she has done her homework. Having her and her son as neighbors has been a great joy in my life.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 09:36 AM

3. The Anti Science shit is a real turnoff for many Asians. Especially the higher income ones

that tend to be more educated in math and science.

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #3)

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 09:42 AM

4. It's not only because of the anti-science shit

When Trump's English is worst than an Asian immigrant like me, you go crazy. We value education and that includes English. We want our leader to speak coherently and intelligently.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:06 AM

5. Blaming Chinese Americans for Covid 19 must be a real factor.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:59 AM

6. How many anti-masker protests

have there been in Asian countries? I haven't seen any and wonder if that could be an indicator of something?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread