HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Rosenbaum, killed amid Ke...

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 05:46 AM

Rosenbaum, killed amid Kenosha unrest, doesn't come from practicing Jewish family

Joseph Rosenbaum doesn’t come from a practicing Jewish family, but that hasn’t stopped some hate-filled internet trolling from appearing online because of his last name.

Rosenbaum, 36, of Kenosha, was one of two people shot and killed on Tuesday during unrest after the shooting of Jacob Blake. Suspect Kyle Rittenhouse, an Illinois 17-year–old, has been placed under arrest.

Rosenbaum’s extended family is not Jewish, though there may be a mix of German and Jewish heritage in the past, said Sammy Rosenbaum, a cousin.

She said she’d lost touch with her cousin but added that “it’s sad all around that he’s gone ….”

The apparent lack of Jewish practice in the family hasn’t prevented hateful message boards from lighting up with some antisemitic statements about Joseph Rosenbaum. There are also parentheses around “Rosenbaum” in several instances, signifying a Jew.

more...

11 replies, 2547 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rosenbaum, killed amid Kenosha unrest, doesn't come from practicing Jewish family (Original post)
Behind the Aegis Aug 2020 OP
Sherman A1 Aug 2020 #1
abqtommy Aug 2020 #2
Behind the Aegis Aug 2020 #11
ProfessorGAC Aug 2020 #3
Buckeye_Democrat Aug 2020 #5
mitch96 Aug 2020 #6
Lonestarblue Aug 2020 #8
Solly Mack Aug 2020 #4
radius777 Aug 2020 #7
Marcuse Aug 2020 #10
DFW Aug 2020 #9

Response to Behind the Aegis (Original post)

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 05:48 AM

1. Haters gonna hate details are not there strong suit.

Happy that Laura missed NOLA for you.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 06:09 AM

2. +++

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 12:42 PM

11. You are correct about them not being strong on details. The War on Facts!

Thanks for the good wishes (and I am happy NOLA was spared), but I am back in ruby-red Oklahoma...almost 10 years now.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 06:32 AM

3. I Don't Get It

I never have. I don't grasp the willful decision to target Jewish people, at any point in history.
I know some of the reasons, but none of them are even a bit understandable.
How can someone's familial religious background have anything to do with how we view them?
Don't get it.

Reply to this post

Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 07:52 AM

5. I'm prejudiced, but...

... mostly against willfully ignorant people. (Which describes many Trump supporters, among others.)

As a culture, and in GENERAL, Jewish people are certainly not that way. So I've valued nearly every Jewish person that I ever encountered!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 08:13 AM

6. "willful decision to target Jewish people"

From my observation it is the fact that they are "the other" the "not like us"" the them vs Us mentality that is gripping this country. What gets me is the line about "rich jews" controlling the country but not about the rich whites... Thats ok...
This thinking goes back century's and I don't believe it's gonna stop. I wish it would stop.
m

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 08:44 AM

8. I don't either.

What is in a person’s mind and heart is far more important to me than their ethnicity. I read somewhere recently, maybe here, the idea that white evangelicals should think about the fact that God did not create just one type of tree, or just one type of flower, or just one type of animal—or make one more important than the other. Healthy biodiversity says they all work together. God also made many types of humans. Why do they believe that He placed their one type above all others?

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 07:26 AM

4. K&R

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 08:19 AM

7. just proves what the RW/GOP/Trump is at it's core: White Nationalists.

See, the GOP can try to put on their fake convention, where they parade a few Uncle Tom blacks/browns/women etc around, but it aint foolin anyone because all you need to do is look online at RW hangouts and you'll see what they 'really' believe.

Reply to this post

Response to radius777 (Reply #7)

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 08:52 AM

10. Republican conventions have more people of color on the stage than among the delegates.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 28, 2020, 08:47 AM

9. If they have hate in their hearts, they'll find someone to hate

It doesn‘t matter who, and it doesn‘t matter why. They can‘t tell you even if you ask.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread