HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Something Bernie said las...

Tue Aug 18, 2020, 03:56 PM

Something Bernie said last night about Trump and authoritarianism needs to be highlighted.

Under this administration authoritarianism has taken root in our country. I, and my family, and many of yours know the insidious way authoritarianism destroys democracy, decency and humanity.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/politics/bernie-sanders-speech-transcript/index.html

Presumably everyone here knows Bernie Sanders's family background.

Sanders became interested in politics at an early age. He said, "A guy named Adolf Hitler won an election in 1932.[c] He won an election, and 50 million people died as a result of that election in World War II, including six million Jews. So what I learned as a little kid is that politics is, in fact, very important."[19] In the 1940s, many of his relatives in German-occupied Poland were murdered in the Holocaust.[8][14][20]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Sanders#Early_life

That, to me, was the most important, poignant, and clearly personal part of Bernie's speech. I thought it should be highlighted.

2 replies, 543 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Something Bernie said last night about Trump and authoritarianism needs to be highlighted. (Original post)
DTomlinson Aug 18 OP
rickford66 Aug 18 #1
DTomlinson Aug 18 #2

Response to DTomlinson (Original post)

Tue Aug 18, 2020, 03:59 PM

1. Actually I believe the Nazi Party won seats. Hitler wasn't running.

This is what I remember from my reading. I may be wrong.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rickford66 (Reply #1)

Tue Aug 18, 2020, 04:00 PM

2. That's true, yes, but Sanders' point still stands.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread