HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » QUESTION: Property taxes ...

Fri Sep 21, 2012, 01:39 PM

QUESTION: Property taxes for Education

The republicans are always complaining about being forced to buy health insurance under HCA.
How come they do not complain about being forced to pay property taxes for education that goes to private educators?? I mean people are paying money to charter schools that are not public but owned by private individuals. Sounds like people are being forced to buy a product....

just a thought

This was also posted in Education

3 replies, 906 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply QUESTION: Property taxes for Education (Original post)
Angry Dragon Sep 2012 OP
RKP5637 Sep 2012 #1
djean111 Sep 2012 #2
Angry Dragon Sep 2012 #3

Response to Angry Dragon (Original post)

Fri Sep 21, 2012, 01:41 PM

1. Excellent question! n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Angry Dragon (Original post)

Fri Sep 21, 2012, 01:54 PM

2. Because they are taking a profit from the private schools.

Actually, property taxes go for many other things besides public schools - roads, police, libraries, etc. But, little by little, property taxes are being siphoned off for private schools, privately-owned prisons (there is usually a provision that the county either keep a certain level or occupancy or pay the difference), outsourcing of local government tasks like the DMV to private interests......the thing is, the whole model is not self-sustaining. As more people are out of work and cannot pay taxes, the return to private investors goes down. Or the private firm must keep increasing quarterly profits in order to please stockholders or owners. They can just raise prices for a while, but eventually the whole mess is dumped back on a much poorer local government.

Reply to this post

Response to djean111 (Reply #2)

Fri Sep 21, 2012, 01:58 PM

3. I do understand that however

on my property taxes they break it down to what I pay for education, that is the part I am talking about.

I should not forced to do business with a business.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread