HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Wired: Privacy Isn't a Ri...

Mon Jun 29, 2020, 03:19 PM

Wired: Privacy Isn't a Right You Can Click Away

Privacy Isn’t a Right You Can Click Away
Senator Sherrod Brown wants to drastically scale back the permitted uses of your personal data—and ban facial recognition outright.

http://www.wired.com/story/privacy-isnt-a-right-you-can-click-away/

Facebook’s data privacy policy is more than 4,000 words. It contains dozens of links to hundreds of pages of complex terms and agreements. Even if you had the time to read it, you’d need a law degree and a data science background to understand which rights you’re signing away and what frightening experiments Facebook is cooking up with your private life as raw material.

And even if you do have handfuls of advanced degrees and a superhuman ability to read the hundreds of privacy policies you agree to every year, clicking No isn’t a realistic option when you depend on the service. So most of us click Yes and agree to sign away our information, because our credit cards, mortgages, car loans, bank accounts, health apps, smart phones, and email accounts all require us to. It’s simply the price of admission.

. . . There’s a reason these privacy and data agreements are impossible to understand and to avoid: They were never meant to protect you—they are meant to protect Big Tech.

. . . That’s why I wrote a bill that takes the burden off of consumers and puts it where it should be: on Big Tech. My plan separates innovative and helpful uses of data from the abusive and invasive practices that have become commonplace. It creates an agency to monitor companies that collect data and gives everyday Americans powerful legal tools to hold those companies accountable. It also bans facial recognition, an immature and dangerous technology, outright.

(more at link)

1 replies, 356 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wired: Privacy Isn't a Right You Can Click Away (Original post)
WhiskeyWulf Jun 29 OP
crickets Jun 29 #1

Response to WhiskeyWulf (Original post)

Mon Jun 29, 2020, 04:43 PM

1. I like the sound of this. K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread