HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What is wrong with Missis...

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 03:40 AM

What is wrong with Mississippi

https://lawandcrime.com/crazy/mississippi-woman-charged-with-obscene-communications-after-calling-her-parents-racist-on-facebook/

They arrested the abused kid and left the racist parents alone.

15 replies, 1871 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to TristanIsolde (Original post)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 04:12 AM

1. I can't believe they charged her. That violates her 1st Am. rights.

That is nuts.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 04:49 AM

2. Good for her!!

The charges will be dropped. But the most important thing is out of the horrible household!!!

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:00 AM

3. Really? You're blaming a whole state? Aside from smearing

millions of people regardless of their ideology, don't you think it should be illegal to post people's (forget that it's family's!) contact information and addresses on Facebook and incite the scum of the earth to attack and threaten them?

Seems to me "Mississippi's" problem is that they need to rewrite the statute. Intent and ability to harm others should be enough without also requiring a post be lewd or lascivious. And if they word it well enough, hopefully particularlyi egregious offenses can be subject to felony charges, as well as misdemeanors for less vicious crimes or first offenses that didn't cause much harm.

Under Mississippi law, “any comment, request, suggestion or proposal by means of telecommunication or electronic communication which is obscene, lewd or lascivious with intent to abuse, threaten or harass any party to a telephone conversation, telecommunication or electronic communication” is unlawful.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:03 AM

4. She had to defend herself

Exposing racism should never be wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to TristanIsolde (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:14 AM

5. Incredible as it may seem, maliciously posting her parents' private

communications to billions of people to hurt them was wrong all by itself. Even when not actually illegal, MORALLY VERY WRONG.

And, of course, principles "should never be" misused to try to justify unprincipled and even criminal behaviors, but they so often are. This woman called a weaponized attack a principle, but the legal system wasn't fooled.

Reply to this post

Response to TristanIsolde (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:23 AM

6. She was in no danger. She is 21. She could have called her parents

out on their racism and moved out.

This is just bullshit on all sides. The parents, the Facebook posting, the arrest, the girl's infantile behavior AND the conclusions of the OP that this somehow reflects on Mississippi.

Reply to this post

Response to Squinch (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:27 AM

7. The callout of Mississippi is because I don't think she would have been arrested in any other state

Am I mistaken ? Do you think she would have been arrested over exposing her parent's racism in say California.

She is 21, ofcourse she will act a little infantile, that does not mean she deserves to have her life ruined just because she reacted poorly to the racism and abuse of her parents.

Reply to this post

Response to TristanIsolde (Reply #7)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:35 AM

10. Same people have no problem bashing Florida

Ignore them

Reply to this post

Response to TristanIsolde (Reply #7)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:35 AM

11. "State Government" is more accurate/fair

Reply to this post

Response to Squinch (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:30 AM

8. ?

“They literally had my cousin take my phone and hold me at my house as they came and took my car and mom started hitting me at my own house"

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 06:29 AM

12. Usually it is a whole region, so I guess this is an improvement?

One could ask, what is it with California? Many of the “Karen” stories seem to be coming from there.

Reply to this post

Response to Tipperary (Reply #12)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 07:20 AM

13. Lol, "we advance"? Or is it part of the current backwards reaction

to our advances in equality and expectations of decency toward others? President Obama often warned America against broad-brush bigotry, but inevitably some assumed he must be talking to those other people.

Reply to this post

Response to Hortensis (Reply #13)

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 02:24 PM

15. Yep.

Spot on.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:33 AM

9. Far too high a percentage of slack-jawed KKKlanner types

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 12, 2020, 08:51 AM

14. This looks like a family squabble that got way out of hand.

First of all, her parents should not be ugly racists; there's no excuse for that. The young woman was wrong, however, for putting her parent's info on Facebook. If she hadn't done that, I doubt the police would have gotten involved.

The parents make the remark that they aren't going to help her anymore and they take her car away. They probably paid for the car, but that doesn't give them the right to go to 'her' house and assault her. They should be arrested for that.

As other people have noted in this thread, you shouldn't characterize everybody in Mississippi by the actions of one family and a rural sheriff's dept. You'll find this sort of thing going on just about anywhere in America these days.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread