HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Democrats discover a new ...

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 09:38 AM

Democrats discover a new team player: Bernie Sanders

Politico

After criticizing his role in 2016, top Democrats are heaping praise on Sanders and his top brass for working overtime to get Joe Biden elected.

By HOLLY OTTERBEIN

06/06/2020 07:00 AM EDT

Many Democratic leaders were irate in 2016 over what they saw as Bernie Sanders’ failure to fully get behind Hillary Clinton and work hard to get her elected.

Four years later, they’re heaping praise on the Vermont senator and his top brass for their efforts to put Joe Biden in the White House.

Sanders dropped out of the primary months earlier than he did in 2016, swiftly and wholeheartedly endorsed Biden, and set up policy task forces with him. Despite opposition from fellow progressives, senior Sanders aides have created super PACs to support Biden. And in an effort to avoid a repeat of the unruly Democratic National Convention during the last presidential election, Sanders’ team has told some of the delegates representing him there to sign a pledge swearing off attacks on Biden and other party leaders.

It has not gone unnoticed.

snip

more at link

24 replies, 1183 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Democrats discover a new team player: Bernie Sanders (Original post)
JoeOtterbein Jun 2020 OP
Laelth Jun 2020 #1
The Magistrate Jun 2020 #2
notinkansas Jun 2020 #5
The Magistrate Jun 2020 #10
Skidmore Jun 2020 #11
PatSeg Jun 2020 #20
LongtimeAZDem Jun 2020 #13
GeorgiaPeanut Jun 2020 #17
George II Jun 2020 #3
katmondoo Jun 2020 #4
Squinch Jun 2020 #6
LongtimeAZDem Jun 2020 #12
Tech Jun 2020 #7
Hortensis Jun 2020 #18
JI7 Jun 2020 #8
Wounded Bear Jun 2020 #9
LizBeth Jun 2020 #15
LizBeth Jun 2020 #14
fishwax Jun 2020 #16
Hortensis Jun 2020 #19
Staph Jun 2020 #21
Hav Jun 2020 #22
BlueLucy Jun 2020 #23
backscatter712 Jun 2020 #24

Response to JoeOtterbein (Original post)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 09:48 AM

1. This makes me happy. k&r n/t

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 09:50 AM

2. We Will See, Sir

I understand the happy talk and coddling, for as Will Rogers noted long ago, "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' while feeling around for a brick.'

Personally I don't trust the man an inch, and trust the sort of hot-heads who can be found among his delegates even less.

"You only get two mistakes, and usually your second is somebody remembers your first one."

Reply to this post

Response to The Magistrate (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 10:00 AM

5. Really?

"Personally I don't trust the man an inch, and trust the sort of hot-heads who can be found among his delegates even less."

It would seem that your judgement is highly suspect. Sir.

Reply to this post

Response to notinkansas (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 11:34 AM

10. Past Performance, Sir, Is The Best Predictor Of Future Behavior

The man has form as a disruptor who takes the 'Democratic Establishment' as his chief enemy. Up until quite recently he was declaring intent to make a scene at the convention, over nonesense like platform planks. He gave countenance four years ago to some disgusting displays by his delegates. Some people who had leading roles in his recent campaign continue to agitate against the Democratic nominee, which certainly suggests he cannot lead a good portion of his supporters to alignment with Mr. Biden, whatever he may say himself at present. He has said he may pull credentials of delegates who misbehave. We shall see. It would certainly be better all around if he does.

"Optimists get bitter disappointments. Pessimists get pleasant surprises."

Reply to this post

Response to The Magistrate (Reply #10)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 11:40 AM

11. Yes! At last someone who knows my favorite go to takeaway

from my graduate training in counseling. And the predictive value of observed past behavior is a reliable measure in this instance. I would anticipate the one speech forever and sabotage.

Thank you, Sir.

Reply to this post

Response to The Magistrate (Reply #10)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 02:04 PM

20. I would like to believe the man will be a hands-on

team player, but I still remember his "past performance" and the people he hired for both his campaigns. If he has changed, then that will be great, but if he hasn't, it would be better for him to remain silent in the shadows. lest any of his support does more harm than good.

This is not about Bernie, his ideas, or his ego. This is about the future of our democracy. There's no room for egos in this fight.

Love your quote: "Optimists get bitter disappointments. Pessimists get pleasant surprises." Usually I'm an optimistic, but the past few years have tempered that tendency a bit.

Reply to this post

Response to notinkansas (Reply #5)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 11:58 AM

13. Yes, really

His history of attacking the Democratic party and it's candidates give us no reason to trust him now.

Actions speak louder than words; we'll see if he steps up this time and works to bring his supporters on board.

Reply to this post

Response to The Magistrate (Reply #2)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 01:21 PM

17. Very well put. Hopefully he has changed.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 09:55 AM

3. Alas, a lot of words. What has Sanders done in the last few months to help Biden?

What about his lawsuit in NYS to force New Yorkers to vote in a meaningless primary in two weeks?
What about his failure to condemn his surrogates for bashing Biden and the Democratic Party (specifically Gray and Sirota)

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 09:58 AM

4. I hope it is true. I would like to hear more from Sanders own mouth not from others.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 10:09 AM

6. The only action Sanders took that was described in that article

was the watery statement to his acolytes to quit smearing Biden in the public forum.

And then the article proceeds to spew nonsense about how hard it is for Biden to appeal to certain Democratic blocs.

Pure bullshit article attempting to assign influence where none exists.

Reply to this post

Response to Squinch (Reply #6)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 11:54 AM

12. +1

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 10:53 AM

7. I will accept all backing of Joe with much suspicion. The old "fool me once".

Reply to this post

Response to Tech (Reply #7)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 01:36 PM

18. Yes. I'm currently grateful that, for whatever reason,

he's directed those who still follow him to focus on stopping the right. Currently.

It occurs to me that abandoning his aggressive extremist followers and in turn being abandoned leaves them without whatever temporizing effect being part of a supposedly idealistic class-warfare movement might have had. Even if it's an unfortunately inevitable consequence of Sanders' joining Democrats in the battle against fascism, they're freed to continue assisting the right's power grab without it being on Sanders' head.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 10:55 AM

8. lol

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 11:09 AM

9. I don't worry about Bernie much, his influence is often over-stated...

I do worry about his followers, who's goal seems to be a hostile takeover of the Democratic Party.

Just my two cents.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #9)

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 01:02 PM

15. Certainly, but media runs with it and that is the problem. You are absolutely right. It is in the

hands of media that causes the damage, as we saw previously.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 01:01 PM

14. As with others, I am skeptical but thank you for this article cause we are all watching.

Sanders lost our trust and with reason. Something so important that this time I am not going to be lulled but I will say, this sounds promising. I really do not trust him though.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 01:18 PM

16. hopefully the whiners on both sides have learned their lesson from the 2016 campaign

and will do what the vast majority of supporters from both sides did during the 2016 campaign: put their heads down and get to work.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 01:49 PM

19. I'm glad that Sanders seems to be fighting the fascistic RW

authoritarian, kleptocratic, religious and white power nationalists -- enemies both foreign and domestic.

But fuck "Holly's" insulting "irate." Sanders may have changed his targeting, but she's not there yet. Like so many Democrats who watched and understood what happened in 2016, I'm not having a bad-temper problem, I'm bitterly angry at all who enabled the right's giant taking of power.

That deep anger is because, far more, I'm terribly afraid that the dreadful victories handed to the treasonous Republicans and the authoritarian kleptocracy they helped create and serve may already have caused the fall of our liberal democracy.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 02:30 PM

21. I worry about his supporters.

Earlier this week, I saw some CNN reporter doing a stand-up at one of the protests. And directly behind the reporter was a Bernie supporter, proudly showing off his Bernie 2020 poster.

To me, it seemed an incredibly tone-deaf moment.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 02:50 PM

22. I think he learned the lessons from 2016

and I'm glad he didn't draw it out needlessly this time.
But for any other Dem, uniting behind the nominee and supporting him wouldn't be newsworthy. As the story said, he is described as a "new" team player.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 02:55 PM

23. I wonder if Joe Biden being a man has anything to do with it?

Hillary is a woman. There may lie Bernie's different approach this time.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 6, 2020, 02:56 PM

24. Good on Bernie - he personally is good for doing the right thing.

And the Never-Biden movement is falling apart - for some reason, pandemics and racism and police brutality got some priorities straight for at least some of them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread