HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Minneapolis neighborhoods...

Fri Jun 5, 2020, 10:53 AM

Minneapolis neighborhoods face food desert after looting closes multiple stores (MPLS Star Tribune)

Minneapolis neighborhoods face food desert after looting closes multiple stores
https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis-longfellow-neighborhood-almost-food-desert-after-riots/570928442/

With Cub, Target, two Aldi stores and many small markets damaged by rioting over the past week, Longfellow and about eight other neighborhoods have nearly become a food desert.

“I consider the loss of these businesses devastating,” said Melanie Majors, executive director of the Longfellow Community Council. “Besides just the food, there’s a lack of retail for diapers, formula, household goods, even clothing.”

Amplifying the problem over the weekend and again on Monday was the fact that Metro Transit was not operating buses or trains. Public transportation will again be shut down on Tuesday.

Sylvester Hudson walked about 40 minutes from Fort Snelling Apartments to the Cub Foods at E. 46th Street and Hiawatha Avenue.

It is the only supermarket left in the Longfellow neighborhood along the light-rail line after four other supermarkets closed because of destruction during the protests.

3 replies, 495 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Minneapolis neighborhoods face food desert after looting closes multiple stores (MPLS Star Tribune) (Original post)
Odoreida Jun 2020 OP
frazzled Jun 2020 #1
sarisataka Jun 2020 #2
uponit7771 Jun 2020 #3

Response to Odoreida (Original post)

Fri Jun 5, 2020, 10:57 AM

1. This is true in all major cities right now. /nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jun 5, 2020, 12:11 PM

2. It's just property.

Or so I was told when I said how my family and friends who live in the neighborhood would suffer from the destruction.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 5, 2020, 12:15 PM

3. My understanding its the "Boogaloo Bois" plan to decimate black neighborhoods during protest

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread