HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 'I have to sit Down': Che...

Thu May 21, 2020, 07:14 PM

'I have to sit Down': Cher tweets joy as Pakistan agrees to free lonely elephant Kaavan

Published 2 mins ago on May 21, 2020
By Agence France-Presse

Music icon Cher marked “ONE OF THE GREATEST MOMENTS OF MY LIFE” Thursday after a Pakistani court ordered freedom for a lonely elephant named Kaavan, who had become the subject of a high-profile rights campaign backed by the US singer.

“WE HAVE JUST HEARD FROM PAKISTAN HIGH COURT KAAVAN IS FREE,” Cher tweeted, adding a string of emojis and saying she felt “SICK”.

“THIS IS ONE OF THE GREATEST MOMENTS OF MY LIFE,” the effusive singer continued.

The Islamabad High Court has ordered wildlife officials to consult with Sri Lanka to find Kaavan a “suitable sanctuary” within 30 days, tweeted the Friends of Islamabad Zoo, which described itself as a group of citizens concerned about animal welfare at the zoo.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/05/i-have-to-sit-down-cher-tweets-joy-as-pakistan-agrees-to-free-lonely-elephant-kaavan/

-snip-

Scores of people signed a petition sent to zoo authorities and Pakistan’s then-Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in protest.

A second petition circulated in 2016 and backed by over 200,000 animal-lovers from across the globe demanded Kaavan’s release to a sanctuary.

Cher, who for years has spoken out about Kaavan’s plight, tweeted her thanks to the Pakistani government, adding “it’s so emotional for us that I have to sit Down”.

4 replies, 526 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'I have to sit Down': Cher tweets joy as Pakistan agrees to free lonely elephant Kaavan (Original post)
turbinetree Thursday OP
obamanut2012 Thursday #1
CatMor Thursday #2
Raine Thursday #3
Backseat Driver Thursday #4

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Thu May 21, 2020, 07:16 PM

1. Wonderful story! k & r

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu May 21, 2020, 07:20 PM

2. That is great ...

the right thing was finally done.

Reply to this post

Thu May 21, 2020, 07:26 PM

3. TERRIFIC news ... 🐘

I'm so happy for Kaavan and Cher!

Reply to this post

Thu May 21, 2020, 08:16 PM

4. Happy Journey to your new family, Kaavan!

Well done, Cher! LOUD APPLAUSE

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread