HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » UV light and viruses.

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 05:12 PM

UV light and viruses.

Several years ago I was working with an electronics contractor who was also working on a project to treat drinking water with UV light. This was a big array of (I'm vaguely remembering) 48" UV tubes in some sort of protective enclosures. The water to be treated flowed through the array tubes. The whole thing looked sort of like a prop nuclear reactor in a low-budget sci-fi film. Mind you, this wasn't that friendly black light that you used to make your Grateful Dead posters glow. This stuff would tear the paint off a Mack truck.

UV light used to be a thing in consumer sanitation a long time ago, but I'm guessing it fell by the wayside because of the hazards. I'm kind of wondering now if we should reconsider. Would it be possible to have an air cleaner where air, not water, flows through an array of UV lights? Would it even be worthwhile?

Also, might there be a way to use UV to safely disinfect surfaces without risk to people's eyes? I see banner ads for these gadgets. I wonder if they are any good -- and safe to use.

9 replies, 490 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Girard442 (Original post)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 05:15 PM

1. Hospitals still sterilize high risk isolation rooms (C.difficile for example)with UV-C lights.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 05:19 PM

3. I would hope they have sturdy procedures to keep people out while the UV is on.

Reply to this post

Response to Girard442 (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 05:20 PM

5. Of course they do. It has been used for decades. For TB contamination as well.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 05:21 PM

6. I think there are hand dryers with UV lights on them but I don't

Know how effective they are, or if they require time exposure.

We used to launder and hang outside to dry our towels, bras, etc if they had been infected with thrush (a fungal infection) that can ruin the regimen for breastfeeding mothers. The UV light is supposed to kill off the thrush.

Personally, I preferred a milder chemical attack with diluted vinegar.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 05:21 PM

7. We used them in the hospital I worked at. They had to be real close to work....... nt

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 05:27 PM

8. An article I read recently was about using UV light towers to sanitize maks

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread