HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Update, If we (Sweden) ar...

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 11:45 PM

Update, If we (Sweden) are an example, the US is possibly headed towards a true shitstorm

due to this insane refusal (both here and in large parts of the US) to shut it all down.

We have stopped all comprehensive testing (only really ill) and the fucking government still refuses to close us down. All our under high school level (and some high schools) schools are NOT closed. They have only banned groups of 500 or larger. Restos and bars are still open in many cases.

To compare Sweden in terms of population size with numbers to the US is easy. Multiply by 33.

Less than two weeks ago we were amongst the lowest death rates per 1000, far below the US rate.

Yesterday we had the US of equivalent of 660 deaths (20 X 33), 18 here in Stockholm.

If we were the size of the US now, we would have 2046 deaths (the US has half that or so, 1041)

Norway has more cases than we do and is half our population or so, but only has the US equivalent of 826 deaths.

They too were at a higher rate than us, but we have exploded past them and the US now.

This is madness.

here is my post on Sweden from before, which explains in detail what is going on (a lot of info in the relies as well).

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213167850

I am PISSED, so is my wife and most all of my friends and co-workers.

Greta Thunberg probably has it now too, btw.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-HwpQkJqrc/?utm_source=ig_embed

here is an article from yesterday (pre surge in deaths today)

btw FUCK Anders Tegnell (see my OP above at the link) who is quoted here

Sweden resists mandatory coronavirus measures

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/sweden-resists-mandatory-coronavirus-measures-1.4212150

While its Nordic neighbours have closed all schools and shops to fight the spread of coronavirus, Sweden’s latest decree in the crisis has been to impose table service-only in restaurants. Sweden had 2,510 confirmed cases and 42 deaths from Covid-19 by Wednesday, though the real number of infected is likely higher after a shift in testing rules to focus on at-risk groups. Unlike neighbouring Norway, Denmark and Finland, Sweden’s government has adopted a looser, more voluntary approach to the growing crisis.

Gatherings of up to 500 people are still permitted and only university and higher education have moved teaching online. Primary schools remain operational as do ski resorts ahead of the looming spring break. Sweden’s Social Democratic government is recommending individual responsibility – suggesting people to limit their movements and self-isolate if they feel ill. “There will be a few decisive moments in life when you must make sacrifices, not only for your own sake but also to take responsibility for those around you, for your fellow humans and for our country,” said prime minister Stefan Löfven. “That moment is now.”

So far Stockholm has resisted more stringent measures such as physical distancing rules or closure of non-essential shops, bars and restaurants. On Wednesday welfare minister Lena Hallengren apologised for the disruption likely to be caused by a new decree imposing table service-only in restaurants.

“We are aware this will impact on many businesses and employees, but the situation is serious and this will limit contagion,” she said. Anders Tegnell, Swedish chief epidemiologist, has insisted the country’s measures are a reasonable approach towards an infection that is “here to stay”. “What we are working on is trying to bring the infection in society down as much as possible, “ he said, “to flatten the curve and create a situation for healthcare services to continue to function”.

However this approach has sparked alarm among some virologists, who accuse the Swedish government of following an approach since abandoned by the UK government. A leading mathematician who modelled the spread of the virus – focused around major cities like Stockholm and Malmö – has described the government’s approach as “a mad experiment with 10 million people”. Joining the critical chorus, the leading Dagens Nyheter daily has accused the government of taking a “gamble” with the health of the population. “We cannot allow the human desperation in Wuhan and Bergamo to be repeated in Sweden,” it wrote in an editorial.

snip

fuck

10 replies, 1323 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Celerity (Original post)

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 11:52 PM

1. Wow, how shortsighted they are!

I can't believe that a government exists that is more stupid than ours!

I know you and your wife are taking care of yourselves, my dear Celerity........hang in there, dear girl.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 12:24 AM

5. and my sister is in.. drum roll... Florida, with her new BF, working on some art project, ffs

another no shutdown place.

My parents are back in London, they got the hell out of Hong Kong in late December, days before Xmas, as the rumours were already flying round the investment banker network there. My brother is also in London atm, so those 3 are in lockdown and safe (as they can be).

We are fine so far, but I do not want this shit to blow up here all because we have bloody bellends in charge, who are driven by this inane 'reverso-world Trump' PC and gutless in terms of taking real hardcore action.

Pack of duncey berks, grrrrrrrrrrr.

Hope you are safe n' sound, my dear Peggy.

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #5)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 12:30 AM

8. We are very safe and sound, my dear Celerity!

Not to worry.

It really helps if you don't worry, especially over things that you have no control over. Only worry about stuff that you can influence!

It will save you and your precious energy.

Reply to this post

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Reply #8)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 12:35 AM

9. I shall endeavour to attempt this. I just hope heads roll for this clusterfuck here.

Be safe!

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 12:30 AM

7. Finns are not afraid to make bold moves. Good on 'em. I am sure Tegnell here will come out

tomorrow and blather on about them being reactionary and racist.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 12:00 AM

3. Also, Sweden must be figuring on a lot of deaths

because they are looking at using ice skating rinks for bodies like Spain has done. https://www.gp.se/nyheter/ishallar-kan-bli-b%C3%A5rhus-vi-m%C3%A5ste-ta-h%C3%B6jd-1.25923049

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 12:02 AM

4. We're already infinity worse off than Sweden, or anywhere else but Italy at this point

We are the epicenter now.

Reply to this post

Response to HarlanPepper (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 12:28 AM

6. Well, I think at a mid term event horizon, yes, especially in sheer numbers, but we are deffo your

mini petri dish in terms of non shutdowns.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 01:49 PM

10. ffs this is in our 3rd biggest city this afternoon

Malmö

in Skåne, the far south, right across from Copenhagen

meanwhile, today we had the US population adjusted equivalent of over 10,000 new cases and 350 deaths

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread