HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How the hell can people a...

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 10:37 PM

How the hell can people approve of how trump is handling the pandemic crisis?

In a new Gallup poll, 49% approve of the job Trump is doing as president while 45% disapprove, matching the highest his approval rating has ever been in Gallup surveys. A Monmouth University poll released on Monday showed Trump at 46% approval, again the best he has done in that poll in more than three years.

What accounts for Trump's rise? Simple: His response to the coronavirus crisis.
In the Gallup poll, 60% of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing in handling the crisis while 38% disapprove of how he has done. Six in 10 independents approve of how Trump has done on the coronavirus as do more than 1 in 4 (27%) of Democrats. In the Monmouth poll, 50% say Trump has done a good job with coronavirus while 45% said he has done a bad job.

The heightened approval for how Trump has managed this crisis -- particularly among independents and even Democrats -- is what is pushing up his overall approval numbers, which have been largely stagnant for years.

more-

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/donald-trump-gallup-approval-polling/index.html

I know there tends to be a "rally 'round the flag" mentality when there is a national crisis. Maybe it's because people are seeing trump in a venue other than his damn rallies. But people obviously haven't been paying attention to how he treated the dilemma in the beginning.

I'm sorry. I'm just so fucking frustrated at all the issues related to the coronavirus. I just don't want this, of all things, to be the reason he gets reelected.

Thanks for letting me vent. I tend to be a worrier, and I'm worried now.

12 replies, 556 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply How the hell can people approve of how trump is handling the pandemic crisis? (Original post)
Poiuyt Mar 25 OP
Takket Mar 25 #1
cloudythescribbler Mar 25 #2
stopbush Mar 25 #3
bamagal62 Mar 25 #4
msongs Mar 25 #5
elleng Mar 25 #6
jrthin Mar 25 #7
notdarkyet Mar 25 #8
Wellstone ruled Mar 25 #9
Blue_true Mar 25 #10
Poiuyt Mar 26 #12
cynatnite Mar 25 #11

Response to Poiuyt (Original post)

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 10:42 PM

1. people are uniformed..........

if you walked out of a time machine and saw him giving daily briefings (and how can you not see it when every network covers them) you would think he's doing the best he can. people just don't understand the backstory because they don't pay attention.......

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 10:46 PM

2. a BIG part of the problem is the MSM

Among other shortcomings, there is a virtual blackout (even in the NY Times) about what the serious progressive opposition (as opposed to Schumer, Biden & Cuomo) are saying and doing. Bernie et al held a national town meeting w/at least 1.8 million direct viewers (I myself missed it). Wasn't even reported as far as I saw in the New York Times which I read every day. There are all kinds of issues, points, & platforms raised by progressives that are being ignored.

Biden on the other hand has gone into virtual hibernation, focusing on little other than that he wants Sanders to pull out. When the only opposition people hear is this kind of "loyal" opposition, they don't get a serious perspective on events

there is also very definitely a rally round the flag -- a 'don't find fault' mentality in crisis, when people intensify their tendencies to obedience to those above and kicking down on those below. It's a cultural reflex

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 10:48 PM

3. Perspective: bush had a 90% approval after 911, and he ignored all the warnings, too.

So tRump is at about HALF the normal POTUS approval rating in a crisis.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 10:51 PM

4. I don't get it.

Itís insane. Do we really have this many people in our country that are dumb as rocks?

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 10:54 PM

5. he huffs and puffs and blows so people think he is on top of it instead of full of it

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 10:55 PM

6. IGNORANCE

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 10:58 PM

7. These are the same people who lick toilet bowls

and drink fish bowl cleaner.

Reply to this post

Response to jrthin (Reply #7)

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 11:06 PM

8. And spit on people.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 11:28 PM

9. People are clicking on Google Ads

purchased by the RNC and Trump Campaign on various web sites. These are google ad placement. Click Bait Polling.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 11:36 PM

10. Gallup has a tremendous bias toward republicans.

Ignore that poll.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #10)

Thu Mar 26, 2020, 01:03 AM

12. It's the trend that bothers me

And we can't ignore polls just because we don't like what they're saying. Unless it's Rasmussen. That poll I ignore.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 11:38 PM

11. It hasn't personally touched enough of them...

When the numbers rise more into the tens of thousands of dead, then some might rethink it.

Should be long before November.

I hate myself for thinking like this, too.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread